So who is (are) the key player(s) to go deep inn the tournament? | The Boneyard

So who is (are) the key player(s) to go deep inn the tournament?

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
It sure would be nice to see Paige have an awesome tourney but quite frankly I don't really see that happening. I think to make the final 4 we really need outstanding play from Christyn and Olivia. I'm comfortable with Nika, Azzi, Elvina, Aaliyah and Dorka. It just seems to me that the key to the FF is really good contributions from CW and ONO. We really do have an embarrassment of riches on the bench - finally!

Maybe I'm overly concerned that the 5 on the floor at any one time hasn't had enough actual game time together to really click. I miss the days of the clockwork precision, the no look passes etc. When everyone out there knows what is coming next as a unit. Maybe I worry too much.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It sure would be nice to see Paige have an awesome tourney but quite frankly I don't really see that happening. I think to make the final 4 we really need outstanding play from Christyn and Olivia. I'm comfortable with Nika, Azzi, Elvina, Aaliyah and Dorka. It just seems to me that the key to the FF is really good contributions from CW and ONO. We really do have an embarrassment of riches on the bench - finally!

Maybe I'm overly concerned that the 5 on the floor at any one time hasn't had enough actual game time together to really click. I miss the days of the clockwork precision, the no look passes etc. When everyone out there knows what is coming next as a unit. Maybe I worry too much.

Honestly I think it's a crapshoot. Sort of the beauty and curse of this team is that you never know who will step up and who won't. Any of ONO, Dorka, Edwards, Ducharme, Fudd, Westbrook and Williams are capable of having big scoring nights but are prone to disappearing too. I think Paige getting healthy is the x factor. She has 2+ weeks before regionals to continue to recover. I think she's top priority--I don't UCONN getting to the Final Four if she isn't a big contributor.

Reaction Score
If not Paige we're gonna need some big performances from our freshmen. Azzi's 11 pts/game and Caroline's 13 pts/game won't be enough against the better teams.
Paige is key--she is peerless when it comes to getting the ball to shooters at the right movement, especially Azzi--Azzi is a rhythm shooter and getting her the ball a half step too late throws her off. The defenses in the tournament will be stifling on Azzi and Caroline, so passes to them must be timely and with pinpoint accuracy. This is Paige's forte...

Reaction Score
Key Ring with NCAA Trophy.jpg

Reaction Score
There's a lot of talent available on this team. A lot of the skills overlap so if someone isn't having a good night someone else or a collection of others can step in. On any given day we can match up with anyone. Two players, IMO, have a combination of skills and presence, that aren't in abundance and can make a difference against the better teams. In Nika, there's no better on-ball defender that can disrupt an opposing offense. And in Edwards, there's no one more physical and athletic on the interior. She can also move out a bit and score. I view that as important because she can draw larger defenders away from the rim and improve chances of rebounding.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not sure it matters that much, but we need at least 4 players (ideally 7+) to be playing really well. Ideally, it's split between the front court and back court.

I'm watching the men against Seton Hall at MSG tonight. They have given up 18 points in the first half. They must have been watching the women.

Reaction Score
If UConn manages to not be placed in Spokane or Greensboro, that means they will have to get through Stanford or South Carolina in the Final Four. Then more than likely play the other in the championship game. That means everyone will have to be playing well. With Paige not 100%, everyone will need to contribute and bring their best.

Reaction Score
I think we have a chance even if Paige is not fully back but she may improve some as she has a little more time. It may be that this team needs to be carried by other players and I think we can. We have 9 players who are in the rotation. If it's 8 that's not that bad and we have a number of other players beyond Paige who can score. To me, Azzi and Caroline are key this year.

Reaction Score
I think it will have to be a team effort with different players stepping up as they are confident and having a good game. I wouldn't count out Paige. Never underestimate the will of a champion. I fully expect her to have her moments especially if we can make it to the final 4. Giving her more time to heal and find her rhythm. We have a lot of players playing there best basketball right now.

Reaction Score
Players will be key who will keep... defensive intensity up all game long... and who will keep moving on offense. Lapses of defensive intensity will be risky. Standing around on offense will be risky.

Reaction Score
Please remember that UConn will have a long break before the tournament starts. So Paige will get stronger. But, I agree don NOT count on her to carry this team. That as most of you have said lies on CW and ONO. Liv cannot disappear in games anymore. Williams has to have strong second halves too. Not just the first. The key player though will be Fudd. She needs to score her 15 to 20 points per game. Caroline has to do what she does best. Get points when not expected within her realm of the game.

Reaction Score
There is way too much overthinking going on here. We have a 9 player rotation and on any given night some will have better games than others. In the end if we can score 80 points I trust the defense can hold teams below that. Where the points come from will vary from game to game and there are no one, two or three players that just have to score big every game to win. That's what makes this team so unusual and dangerous. What other team out there has the depth to have five good and fresh players on the floor at all times and to not have to be overly concerned with fouls? UConn can be beaten, but concentrating on shutting down one or two players isn't the key to doing it. I like our chances against anybody.

Reaction Score
If you look at the last 4 Final Four losses (Miss St, ND, ND and Arizona). It's always has been a small quick or athletic guard that has given us the most problems. Our bigs usually neutralize the other bigs. If Liv, Dorka and AE can do that then it will come down to a healthy Nika guarding the other teams best guard (Destiny, SC) or CW guarding (Jones, Stanford). If Nika and CW win those battles then we should be fine with Paige, CW, Azzi and CD scoring. SC may have Boston and Stanford has Brink, but if we can shut down Destiny and the same with Jones from Stanford we have a great chance to win it all. It comes down to the guards in tournament play.

Reaction Score
I think it's Evina also. If we get her stability, leadership and 10-15 a game plus a few assists, boards and a steal or two like in the semis and finals, we won't lose. It's just too many extra points for another team to make up. In addition, her defense and floor smarts have been top tier for several games. I am assuming a certain constancy from CW and Liv, with Liv only playing average against certain bigs. If Paige just gets 10% healthier with this two week rest we will be in great shape. For everything to work though, Azzi and CD have to get the ball in the right spots. CD is very hard to stop underneath. She is 6'2" with a wingspan of probably someone 6'6". Azzi needs the ball on the curls, the back doors, in iso situations and at the arc. We need the usual from all the rest with AE playing a tight smart game as well.

Reaction Score
All nasty 9. We are going to need all of them with our hockey line change subbing to sustain our stifling defense in order to win it all.

Depending on the opponent and who has the hot hand each night will dictate the minute distribution but don't fool yourself, all 9 of the regulars will be needed to win it all.

Reaction Score
If not Paige we're gonna need some big performances from our freshmen. Azzi's 11 pts/game and Caroline's 13 pts/game won't be enough against the better teams.
I tend to agree. Our seniors are who they are. Pretty good, but not great, and the ceiling for this team relying heavily on them is contender for sure, but being a great team by Uconn standards needs a pretty good Paige and major contributions from Azzi and Caroline.

The ceiling for this team is much higher if Azzi and Caroline are not just contributors, but if Azzi is significantly better than Christyn, and Caroline is significantly better than Evina for example. You could argue they are a little better right now as freshmen, but clearly there upside is quite a bit higher. It might not happen this year, but further emergence or breaking out from those two is a more likely source of team improvement than hoping for seniors to outperform what they have done over their careers.

This team started to come on when Caroline then Azzi stepped up. Then adding Paige jump started the team even more and we went to an aggressive all out all the time team due to finally having the depth we hoped to have earlier. I think the last thing Geno should do is say we are going to live or die with our seniors, and play Christyn and Evina 35 minutes a game while Azzi and Caroline have relatively minor roles.

Using all 9 substantially is working and everyone eats!

Reaction Score
I agree with all of the posts. Essentially we need all of our Nasty 9 to play well as we have been. Certain matchups will dictate who will have good games. Keep turnovers low and play good D like we have been and we have the ability to win it all. I think we will. We have the BEST defense in the country right now because we can go hard all 40 minutes.

Reaction Score
I think that maybe the most important play of the championship game was Ducharme's 3 pointer at the beginning of the 4th quarter. It seemed to be a set play as Edwards stepped over slightly to impede Caroline's defender as CD streaked over to the corner for the shot. The team huddled just before that and it must have been the plan coming out of the huddle. It seemed to me that Paige was looking for her all the way.

If Caroline is comfortable and confident in her 3's it makes an already dangerous team even more deadly.

I've though all along that the poise and experience of Evina would be the key to a championship but a fully armed, confident and energized CD will be a huge boost toward #12, also.

Reaction Score
One name that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the guy pulling the strings, the one who will decide which combos are sent out to do what and when. Geno seemed to tip his hand at the trophy ceremony last Monday, letting a rare comment slip out that he thinks this team could be one of his "legacy" squads. There are some good teams still out there, but this was indeed a rare statement of optimism from the boss. I think he'll have them ready.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom