So thankful to be back in the Big East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So thankful to be back in the Big East

Reaction Score
I know it wouldn’t happen and we don’t need it, but in my fantasy world, I would take Cincy and Memphis in the Big East. Geographically not too far and both great basketball programs imo. Plus I love the Cincy vs Xavier rivalry. I also enjoyed playing Memphis.
Your fantasy is to have Cincinnati and Memphis in the Big East?

Reaction Score
I am always curious when people talk about non-basketball related factors when explaining why they do or don't want a team in a given conference. I realize that there are tons of thoughts that commissioners, ADs, school presidents, etc. might have on the subject, but, as a basketball fan, why do you care about academics (for example)?
I understand it. You define yourself first, but you also are branded by your conference and your peers. If you only care about basketball that’s one thing. If you care about the whole institution it’s another.

Reaction Score
I am always curious when people talk about non-basketball related factors when explaining why they do or don't want a team in a given conference. I realize that there are tons of thoughts that commissioners, ADs, school presidents, etc. might have on the subject, but, as a basketball fan, why do you care about academics (for example)?
If always looked at the Big 10 as a role model type conference. Most of the schools have quality academics with a focus on research. One is the reasons they don't have a lot of infighting (besides the boatload of money they take in) us that they have more ties than just sports.

The Big East started similarly, but as they added schools, they had less and less in common except for playing some sports in the same league. The ACC has had problems in recent years because the schools they've added have little in common with UNC, Duke, Ga Tech, and Virginia.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I know it wouldn’t happen and we don’t need it, but in my fantasy world, I would take Cincy and Memphis in the Big East. Geographically not too far and both great basketball programs imo. Plus I love the Cincy vs Xavier rivalry. I also enjoyed playing Memphis.
No thank you.

Reaction Score
I was against UConn coming back to the Big East, mainly because of the fact that you pay football and are a state school. I liked the common interests of the conference schools. The more I thought about it, the more comfortable I'm getting. UConn is a quality academic school like the rest of the conference, and basketball is clearly the main sport at UConn. They clearly have more in common with the Big East schools than the AAC.

I would definitely be against a school like Memphis, which fits the Big East model in exactly zero ways. It's the conference is to expand, Gonzaga is the only school that makes sense.
Gonzaga makes no sense. Geographically they are about the worst match you could consider. Maybe Fairbanks or Hawaii is the only worse consideration.

A conference membership is for all sports sponsored. Can you imagine sending all of your non revenue sports teams to Washington every year? Worse, can you imagine the Zags sending their teams to every other Big East school. Just no.

Reaction Score
I understand it. You define yourself first, but you also are branded by your conference and your peers. If you only care about basketball that’s one thing. If you care about the whole institution it’s another.
Is that really true? Is Villanova's science department tarnished if Louisville joins the conference? Do potential students, corporate partners, grant money deciders, etc. look at a school's athletic conference when considering non-athletics related things? (Just to be clear, I am not claiming they don't. I just can't see why they would.)

Reaction Score
Is that really true? Is Villanova's science department tarnished if Louisville joins the conference? Do potential students, corporate partners, grant money deciders, etc. look at a school's athletic conference when considering non-athletics related things? (Just to be clear, I am not claiming they don't. I just can't see why they would.)
I would say not that specifically.

Would adding Memphis lower the academic profile? Yes, I think so.

The Big 10, The Ivy, The Patriot all have a positive image beyond the athletics.

The ACC used to tout its academic profile, but not so much anymore.

The Big East is in between. Basketball-first, but it has a very good academic profile. You might make an add that is basketball-first and accept a lower profile in academic fit, but I’m not sure Memphis would be worth that consideration on its own merits. Again, if you are filling in needed empty spots that’s one thing, but adding Memphis would be expanding without much purpose.

Reaction Score
Nothing against the AAC, but if there was one school that paid the price for conference realignment, it was UConn.
I would argue Cuse, Pitt, and BC have been equally or more harmed by conference realignment. Of course, that was self inflicted. And hilarious.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I don't think Cincinnati would come back to the Big East. Their football team is too good.
Doesn't matter what they would do, they will never get an invite from the Big East.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga makes no sense. Geographically they are about the worst match you could consider. Maybe Fairbanks or Hawaii is the only worse consideration.

A conference membership is for all sports sponsored. Can you imagine sending all of your non revenue sports teams to Washington every year? Worse, can you imagine the Zags sending their teams to every other Big East school. Just no.
Most of the non revenue sports would do regional schedules with the 6 Eastern and 6 "Western" schools. The distance in flights from Spokane to Omaha, Chicago, or Indy isn't much different than Omaha or Chicago to Providence or Hartford.

The reality is the Big East is a basketball conference that also plays other sports (many very well). UConn is back in the Big East because it's mutually beneficial and Fox will pay extra in the next contract because of their presence. Gonzaga is the only other school that Fox would lady a premium for.

Reaction Score
Most of the non revenue sports would do regional schedules with the 6 Eastern and 6 "Western" schools. The distance in flights from Spokane to Omaha, Chicago, or Indy isn't much different than Omaha or Chicago to Providence or Hartford.

The reality is the Big East is a basketball conference that also plays other sports (many very well). UConn is back in the Big East because it's mutually beneficial and Fox will pay extra in the next contract because of their presence. Gonzaga is the only other school that Fox would lady a premium for.
Zags don’t command a premium. I like their basketball program, of course, but they don’t fit and they don’t have a huge following.

Spokane to Omaha is their BEST commute. Not their WORST commute. Think about that. All teams, not just hoops.

Zags wouldn’t be invited, and they wouldn’t accept if they were invited.

Reaction Score
Zags don’t command a premium. I like their basketball program, of course, but they don’t fit and they don’t have a huge following.

Spokane to Omaha is their BEST commute. Not their WORST commute. Think about that. All teams, not just hoops.

Zags wouldn’t be invited, and they wouldn’t accept if they were invited.
They've spoken before and I'd bet they will again when the Big East TV contract comes up for renewal. Even with the bonus money Gonzaga gets from the WCC TV and NCAA shares deal, it pales compared to what they'd get in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Tell that to @freescooter. Earlier this season he said Villanova's program was less well known than Gonzaga's. He posts a lot of weird stuff trying to throw shade on UConn, and the Big East in general, but that one was out there.

(the search function is a beautiful thing)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The ONLY school that makes any sense for all the right reasons would be Temple imho.

Reaction Score
Just curious as to how Temple makes sense. They're not a national program, and they don't open a new TV market.
I’ll throw in my 2 cents...

Like Cincy, they don’t add enough to add on their own (and cause us to give up the double round robin schedule format).

But if we were wanting to expand (like in the Kansas, K State, Iowa State scenario), then I like Temple over Memphis for basketball culture and geography.

I know this thought is counter to many views on expansion and adding markets, but adding Temple strengthens the interest in the Philly market. I’d rather have that stronger hold on the larger market and an enhanced rivalry than to add a smaller Memphis market. I also like Cincy and X having their rivalry in-conference.

Reaction Score

This right here is an east coaster geography lesson!

You realize you just said that 1500 miles is roughly the same as 750 miles, right? Or that a 3.5/4 hour direct flight is the same as a 2 hour direct flight. My god man, buy a globe! ;-)

Reaction Score
The only school I think would/could be worth adding is St. Louis. Adds a new market while better connecting Creighton to the other Midwest and eastern schools. Plus they have a legit home court and some recent success.

If Notre Dame ever had a falling out with the ACC, they'd be ideal too.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
This would never happen, and would make no sense because of travel & money, but let’s just play the what if game...

It’s 2013 and the Big East loses all the football teams but adjusts by adding the following teams: Gonzaga, BYU, Saint Mary’s, Wichita State and keeping UConn & Norte Dame. Plus all the other schools they actually added (Xavier, Butler, Creighton).

This keeps the league at 16 teams and plays an east / west division schedule. Round robin vs the 7 teams in your division and 6 games (3 H, 3 A) against the other division. One big massive conference tournament in MSG.

Would have been interesting and I think there was a point when the Big East was considering adding TCU and San Diego State...

Reaction Score
This right here is an east coaster geography lesson!

You realize you just said that 1500 miles is roughly the same as 750 miles, right? Or that a 3.5/4 hour direct flight is the same as a 2 hour direct flight. My god man, buy a globe! ;-)
Providence to Omaha is 1440 miles. Spokane to Omaha is 1370 miles.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I am a football season ticket holder and was really concerned about football. Still am, but the schedule seems to be working out decently well. I can't believe how well it's worked out being back in the BE - even without Pitt and SU. The games feel meaningful to me, even when it's not a ranked team. I could never truly care about UCF or Tulsa or Tulane. Or even SMU or Houston for that matter.

What I feel is really different from a broadcast perspective is how Fox treats UConn. They continually promote the history of UConn - the wealth of great players we've had, our national and conference championships etc. When we were in the AAC, maybe I was not paying attention but I felt like they shied away from talking about our BE days and all of our basketball history. It's just a huge difference when you feel like your broadcast partner is a partner, not just a passive acquaintance.

Reaction Score
Providence to Omaha is 1440 miles. Spokane to Omaha is 1370 miles.

I'm referencing the Spokane to Chicago being compared to Chicago to Providence or Hartford. That's roughly 1500 miles vs 750 as the bird flies.

We all know Omaha is in the middle of nowhere, but as Zissou said, that's comparing the best commute for Gonzaga to the worst one for Prov. Imagine going Spokane to Hartford, especially as a non-revenue sport. Driving? Flying commercial? Yikes!

Reaction Score
I'm referencing the Spokane to Chicago being compared to Chicago to Providence or Hartford. That's roughly 1500 miles vs 750 as the bird flies.

We all know Omaha is in the middle of nowhere, but as Zissou said, that's comparing the best commute for Gonzaga to the worst one for Prov. Imagine going Spokane to Hartford, especially as a non-revenue sport. Driving? Flying commercial? Yikes!
Probably beating a dead horse, but UConn came from a conference where they had 5 opponents that are around 1500 miles, plus 2 more over 1000 away, without the financial benefits they Gonzaga would get. As I said, many of the non-revenue sports could play more of a regional schedule and travel east once per season. The extra millions in TV and NCAA revenue they'd receive would more than cover expenses.

Also, both Mark Few and their AD have expressed interest in the Big East previously.

Reaction Score
Wait until the Big East can put fans in arena again. 19k for Creighton home games. 17k on Saturdays in Milwaukee at the brand new Fiserv Forum. Hinkle Fieldhouse is something old but great! Xavier at Cintas Center is loud!

Big East Conference Tournament at MSG is still outstanding. Selling out for Q-Final, Semi and Championship Game for years now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom