So Coaching Doesn't Matter Anymore? | The Boneyard

So Coaching Doesn't Matter Anymore?

Reaction Score
It's been tough to read the Boneyard over the past 16 hours. The proclamations of doom because a top ranked recruit decided to attend another school. Don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of recruiting and getting the right players into a program, but success on the court is not perfectly correlated with recruiting success. Consider schools that have had top recruiting classes year after year and still come up way short (looking at you Tennessee, Texas, Baylor, Maryland).

UConn fans have long believed in the value of coaching and the difference it makes on the court. We have been told over and over how UConn practices are different from other schools. We have seen how are players commit to team defense, how our offense has more movement and variety than other teams whose players stand around or only look for one-on-one opportunities, and how UConn players give full effort regardless of the score or circumstance. Even the little things, how the players relentlessly support one another, how they stand for the anthem, how even after a tough loss they leave the court the same way as they do after a win, all mark UConn as a special program.

We hold firmly to the belief that UConn is different, special. That one plus one can equal more than two. That the team is more than just five talented individuals. That no one is bigger than the program. This has been true for a generation, and I see no reason why the decision of one or two players changes that. Yes, UConn has won a lot. But they have won the right way as well. So let's have a little faith and remember that, while important, success is dependent on more than recruiting success. And that after a generation of unprecedented success, that we should all have a horizon that extends a little further than the early signing period. There is no reason to believe that our tradition of excellence has ended.

Reaction Score
It's been tough to read the Boneyard over the past 16 hours. The proclamations of doom because a top ranked recruit decided to attend another school. Don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of recruiting and getting the right players into a program, but success on the court is not perfectly correlated with recruiting success. Consider schools that have had top recruiting classes year after year and still come up way short (looking at you Tennessee, Texas, Baylor, Maryland).

UConn fans have long believed in the value of coaching and the difference it makes on the court. We have been told over and over how UConn practices are different from other schools. We have seen how are players commit to team defense, how our offense has more movement and variety than other teams whose players stand around or only look for one-on-one opportunities, and how UConn players give full effort regardless of the score or circumstance. Even the little things, how the players relentlessly support one another, how they stand for the anthem, how even after a tough loss they leave the court the same way as they do after a win, all mark UConn as a special program.

We hold firmly to the belief that UConn is different, special. That one plus one can equal more than two. That the team is more than just five talented individuals. That no one is bigger than the program. This has been true for a generation, and I see no reason why the decision of one or two players changes that. Yes, UConn has won a lot. But they have won the right way as well. So let's have a little faith and remember that, while important, success is dependent on more than recruiting success. And that after a generation of unprecedented success, that we should all have a horizon that extends a little further than the early signing period. There is no reason to believe that our tradition of excellence has ended.
All good points. However, I'm sure you realize that the very small group of posters that your comments are most likely meant for are oblivious to these points. That's why we are blessed with the Ignore button which I'm sure is getting quite a workout.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
All good points. However, I'm sure you realize that the very small group of posters that your comments are most likely meant for are oblivious to these points. That's why we are blessed with the Ignore button which I'm sure is getting quite a workout.
Every time I see a post about how Geno's coaching method is working (or not working???) with each new class, I am quite tempted to Ignore them. I usually don't unless they continue to post, trying to justify their opinions.
I will also just sit back and remember how every UConn graduate that is (or has been) in the WNBA thanks Geno for properly preparing them for the next level and how easier it is because of his methods. Don't hear that from many other WNBA players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From what I’ve seen some UCONN fans are spoiled and feel everything should go Y’alls way and when stuff doesn’t. They freak out. Some of Y’alls fan base is very much like Bamas. Think everything should be handed to them.

Reaction Score

There is coaching and there is coaching. If RECRUITING wasn't really important--how many NC's has Geno won without a top rated/ranked recruit? Going back 10 or more years: Geno would be in a nose to nose game and maybe behind at half time; I knew he'd win because he was able to say the right thing, pull out the right plays and effect the right stops. He was the MASTER. No kidding GENO was the MASTER. Certainly, he is still THE MASTER in getting his kids to step up and win, except for 2 games in 2 years.
Ms St's Coach seems to have developed nearly the same mystiques. Recruiting, coaching and motivating players has changed dramatically. Ask nearly any Women's or Men's coach who is the best top winning coach in the land; and it won't be me.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand why anyone is worried about landing every top 5 recruit year in and year out. The important thing to get is players that want to work hard and improve their game. They don’t need to be top 5 or even top 20 players. Stephanie Dolson was ranked #39 in 2010 by ESPN Hoopgurlz and she turned out to be one of the best post players to come out of UConn. Bria Hartley came out of that class, too, and was ranked #14. The 10th ranked player, Samarie Walker, transferred out and never saw much success at Kentucky despite her high billing.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand why anyone is worried about landing every top 5 recruit year in and year out. The important thing to get is players that want to work hard and improve their game. They don’t need to be top 5 or even top 20 players. Stephanie Dolson was ranked #39 in 2010 by ESPN Hoopgurlz and she turned out to be one of the best post players to come out of UConn. Bria Hartley came out of that class, too, and was ranked #14. The 10th ranked player, Samarie Walker, transferred out and never saw much success at Kentucky despite her high billing.
Uconn has had some great players that other coaches did not see the potential as you indicate. I don't know where Bria or Steff rank in the annals of Uconn or WCBB. However in my memory and in my heart those two will always be highly ranked.
When Geno announced Steff Dolson from Middletown, NY would be joining Uconn I said: Who? She and Bria were thrown into big time Div 1 BB up to their necks. Baylor came to town and the Baylor kid no one could handle was given to the newbie unknown Steff Dolson as a FROSH. 6 ft 7 against 6 ft 4 (some say 5)--an amazing performance from a Frosh, amazing. Proof positive number ones are great but greatness come by those that great circumstance are thrust upon. Stef, Bria, Chystn Williams, Megan Walker, KLS, Napheesa, Danger. We were lost, no hope, Steff and Bria unknowns (to some) gave us hope. Thanks SOUTHOFNORTH FOR keeping this in perspective!!! Thanks.

Reaction Score
Uconn has had some great players that other coaches did not see the potential as you indicate. I don't know where Bria or Steff rank in the annals of Uconn or WCBB. However in my memory and in my heart those two will always be highly ranked.
When Geno announced Steff Dolson from Middletown, NY would be joining Uconn I said: Who? She and Bria were thrown into big time Div 1 BB up to their necks. Baylor came to town and the Baylor kid no one could handle was given to the newbie unknown Steff Dolson as a FROSH. 6 ft 7 against 6 ft 4 (some say 5)--an amazing performance from a Frosh, amazing. Proof positive number ones are great but greatness come by those that great circumstance are thrust upon. Stef, Bria, Chystn Williams, Megan Walker, KLS, Napheesa, Danger. We were lost, no hope, Steff and Bria unknowns (to some) gave us hope. Thanks SOUTHOFNORTH FOR keeping this in perspective!!! Thanks.

I’m normally a pessimist because I like to underestimate and overperform. However, with the way some people are speaking, you’d think UConn just started the season losing an exhibition to a DII school or something. Happy to be a ray of hope instead now.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

I want to make a slight quibble with how what you wrote could sound - that other teams do none of those things. Many teams do some of those things some of the time, a few with some consistency. Most coaches would like to have them happen all the time.

More accurately, at least to me looking in from the outside, is that UConn in large part does all those things all the time. It is truly remarkable, and supports your main point regarding Geno. Players don't develop and are not allowed to develop bad habits whether in demeanor, behavior or offense / defense. And they still love Geno.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom