Snake in the attic | The Boneyard

Snake in the attic

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I had no idea this could happen, but apparently rat snakes can climb.

Am having siding installed as annual repeated attacks on my abode's cedar planks have taken their toll. The crew found this while removing a fascia board that was on the level between my office floor and family room ceiling in what's an angled crawl space. No idea if it climbed up there itself or if a squirrel dragged it in.

This bad boy is about three feet long. It's not just molted skin, it's a skeleton, except for head, which might still be up there. I'm amused. My wife is not.

1678553831904.png

Anyone here ever have this issue? If so, were there more than one? And did you have rodents in the attic (we might have had squirrels based on size of some of the holes in wood thanks to the damned peckers, although we had new spray in insulation added last year which would've buried anything up there).

Reaction Score
Imagine reaching into a nesting box in the chicken coop . Let's just say that I look now.

VA Blue Dog

VA Blue Dog
Reaction Score
Went out to hang the laundry a couple years ago.

View attachment 84952
Looks like a Copperhead or the world's largest Eastern Milk Snake. Seems like every year we'd get a KIng Snake in the house. We live about 60 miles west of Washington D.C., out in the country. Once we got a cat, we had no more mice and correspondingly no more snakes. The adhesive snake traps work very well on catching them. Just place them along the side of your house. You can put them in the attic as well. Had quite a similar story about 15 years ago when I was having siding installed to replace the cedar shake shingles. A copperhead fell out as the shingles were being removed and I had to kill it with a shovel. Still feeling despondent after last night fiasco.

Reaction Score
A cobra in our tent - cabin near Masai Mara in Kenya a couple of years ago heading into the thatched roof.

BTW, we changed rooms

BTW2, best vacation ever.

Black-necked spitting cobra if my eyes don't deceive me. Those mofos are a treat. They can spit venom 20-odd feet with perfect accuracy and blind you.

Probably best you found a different room.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Looks like a Copperhead or the world's largest Eastern Milk Snake. Seems like every year we'd get a KIng Snake in the house. We live about 60 miles west of Washington D.C., out in the country. Once we got a cat, we had no more mice and correspondingly no more snakes. The adhesive snake traps work very well on catching them. Just place them along the side of your house. You can put them in the attic as well. Had quite a similar story about 15 years ago when I was having siding installed to replace the cedar shake shingles. A copperhead fell out as the shingles were being removed and I had to kill it with a shovel. Still feeling despondent after last night fiasco.

Milk snake. Only thing I can think of is a bird of prey dropped it. There is a tree branch over the clothesline, but I'm not sure if a milk snake can climb a tree.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
A cobra in our tent - cabin near Masai Mara in Kenya a couple of years ago heading into the thatched roof.

BTW, we changed rooms

BTW2, best vacation ever.
"Hello, housekeeping? Um, yeah... can you bring fresh towels and come get this cobra?"

Damn. I wouldn't have slept even after changing huts.

Reaction Score
This thread is channelling Snakes On A Plane. There are still people who have those nightmares. Out of 3000 species of snakes only 10-15% are venomous. 90% of US species non venomous. Snakes are very beneficial generally.

Reaction Score
This thread is channelling Snakes On A Plane. There are still people who have those nightmares. Out of 3000 species of snakes only 10-15% are venomous. 90% of US species non venomous. Snakes are very beneficial generally.
True, but when I run into one where I very distinctly remember not leaving one, it still give me a good fright.

Reaction Score
"Hello, housekeeping? Um, yeah... can you bring fresh towels and come get this cobra?"

Damn. I wouldn't have slept even after changing huts.

I have spent a substantial amount of time in Tanzania/Kenya over the years. If I know housekeeping, they'd probably just grab the thing by the tail and fling it into the bush without hesitation. I've seen two women with brooms square up to hyenas before--a little old snake removal is just another Tuesday.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I have spent a substantial amount of time in Tanzania/Kenya over the years. If I know housekeeping, they'd probably just grab the thing by the tail and fling it into the bush without hesitation. I've seen two women with brooms square up to hyenas before--a little old snake removal is just another Tuesday.
You wouldn't happen to be in the coffee industry, would you?

Reaction Score
You wouldn't happen to be in the coffee industry, would you?

I'm a teacher... so not directly, but I have supported the industry, lol.

Until I was in 5th grade my dad worked there as a guide half the year, so I would go and stay during the summers with him. I've been back maybe 5 or 6 times since then. Beautiful part of the world, but the poverty is terrible.

Reaction Score
I saw the title of the thread and thought, "Why is there a thread about Kentucky? They lost yesterday."

Reaction Score
I do a lot of hiking in the Hudson Highlands, Catskills and Taconics. I never came across a snake until about five years ago. In that time, I’ve come across a dozen. Mostly non-venomous black rat and eastern racer snakes. Still large and insanely scary, especially if you don’t like snakes… which describes me. But four years ago, about 100 feet from the trailhead on my way up to Brace Mountain ( northeast Dutchess, just over the border from Salisbury, CT), this FOUR FOOT timber rattlesnake crossed my path. As thick as my arm. I almost soiled myself.

E37A06EC-9E8A-4EB4-B5A4-03FDF0FA6A01.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom