Slow Starts; are they over? | The Boneyard

Slow Starts; are they over?

Reaction Score
I recall how often we would start games offensively challenged. Early scoring droughts and double digit deficits were a major concern discussed in chats and on here during the season. Leads were sometimes so large we were gassed trying to come back and valiantly fell short.

Well, I was just thinking about how this seems to no longer be an issue the past couple of seasons. It was like a big frustration eliminated. Something happened and I can't determined what changed. All I know is that Hurley fixed it.

Anyone care to guess what changed?

Reaction Score
This was much more of a problem with the Whaley/Polley type of teams where we didn't have an offensive identity and couldn't impose ourselves on the opponent, but kind of had to feel the game out to find something that worked.

This wasn't really an issue last year with the weapons we had, and it shouldn't be an issue this year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This was much more of a problem with the Whaley/Polley type of teams where we didn't have an offensive identity and couldn't impose ourselves on the opponent, but kind of had to feel the game out to find something that worked.

This wasn't really an issue last year with the weapons we had, and it shouldn't be an issue this year.

Post #2 correctly summed all that up in two words.

Reaction Score
Even the best teams start slowly here and there, once or twice a year so never over but a lot less frequent, starting with last year and this year should continue that.

Reaction Score
Having better shooters tends to fix the problem. One or two might be cold but it’s rare that all are at the same time. And there have been and are a lot of bench options.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I recall how often we would start games offensively challenged. Early scoring droughts and double digit deficits were a major concern discussed in chats and on here during the season. Leads were sometimes so large we were gassed trying to come back and valiantly fell short.

Well, I was just thinking about how this seems to no longer be an issue the past couple of seasons. It was like a big frustration eliminated. Something happened and I can't determined what changed. All I know is that Hurley fixed it.

Anyone care to guess what changed?
Those were Ollie teams.

Those days are ovah!

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We moved the ball at times last year the way Barcelona did a decade ago in soccer. When your movement is that good, you tend to start quick a lot. I expect a (small) regression this year in ball movement, but I hope I’m wrong.

Reaction Score

Didn’t have an offensive identity?? You mean we would start the game with four guys on the four that couldn’t shoot!! Slight difference……

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
We really had no offense back a few years ago. Pass the ball around outside and then take a bad shot as the time runs out. As mentioned in all the posts above we added better players and developed these players and used a full bench to wear down opponents. Off court we had developed leadership and culture. Entire coaching staff is working on all cylinders now. I find it hard to express how enjoyable it is to watch all this happening; especially at the turning point last winter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom