OT: - Skipper out at ESPN | The Boneyard

OT: Skipper out at ESPN

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This has potentially huge NCAA implications. What happens when the next President decides to not over pay nor sports rights...?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Maybe that was what the all hands meeting last week in Bristol was all about. Or, maybe the rampant libido atmosphere.

Reaction Score
This has potentially huge NCAA implications. What happens when the next President decides to not over pay nor sports rights...?
I actually wonder about this in general. The networks pay crazy amounts of money for these sports rights. How long will that go on? With cable TV in general suffering from cord cutting etc. and the concept of smaller more targeted bundling of channels is the money going to start drying up? Or at least decreasing?

Reaction Score
I actually wonder about this in general. The networks pay crazy amounts of money for these sports rights. How long will that go on? With cable TV in general suffering from cord cutting etc. and the concept of smaller more targeted bundling of channels is the money going to start drying up? Or at least decreasing?

Not if the big tech companies jump into the sports rights bidding.

Reaction Score
Substance abuse also explains the sports rights payouts!

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Not if the big tech companies jump into the sports rights bidding.

Fair point with Apple, FB, Google and Amazon sitting on seemingly unlimited cash.

Reaction Score
You have no idea what you're talking about.

I have my share of problems with ESPN, but the dialogue that will come out of this will be unfortunate. I'm not even saying that to defend him as I have no idea what's really going on, but it's a great time for people to show how uneducated they are on a whole host of topics.

Reaction Score
Fair point with Apple, FB, Google and Amazon sitting on seemingly unlimited cash.
True, but they're not going to jump in and outbid each other for the rights to sports that are trending down in popularity. You don't get to "unlimited cash" by spending foolishly.

I don't doubt they may be players in the future, but I think the cost of those broadcast rights has peaked

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Take the slight reputation hit on addiction to get out of the henhouse before all the harrassment and assault charges hit the company.
What an azzhat. The skipper should never abandon a sinking ship.

New world we live in.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What an azzhat. The skipper should never abandon a sinking ship.

New world we live in.
latest

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I have my share of problems with ESPN, but the dialogue that will come out of this will be unfortunate. I'm not even saying that to defend him as I have no idea what's really going on, but it's a great time for people to show how uneducated they are on a whole host of topics.
You don't need a PhD though to have an opinion on the avalanche of sexual harassment cases being uncovered. As the father of daughters and grandfather of granddaughters I am damn proud of these women for finally taking a stand. At Thanksgiving I opined about some of the powerful actresses who should have come out and exposed Harvey the Neanderthal sooner. I then got an eye opening lesson in what it is like to be a woman from around the table. To a person they all had stories.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I'm sure there are some ESPN employees who post here. What substance is he struggling with? My guess is sleeping pills because he obviously was asleep while the ESPN business model became obsolete.

Reaction Score
You don't need a PhD though to have an opinion on the avalanche of sexual harassment cases being uncovered. As the father of daughters and grandfather of granddaughters I am damn proud of these women for finally taking a stand. At Thanksgiving I opined about some of the powerful actresses who should have come out and exposed Harvey the Neanderthal sooner. I then got an eye opening lesson in what it is like to be a woman from around the table. To a person they all had stories.

Not really referring to that as I am admittedly in the dark there. Obviously I'm aware of the sexual harassment cases on a national level but I don't specifically know anything about it as it relates to ESPN. The article I read didn't mention anything in that nature.

The unfortunate thing I'm referring to relates to substance abuse and the stigma surrounding that. Whether this is a case of a powerful man using it as cover for some more egregious acts or the case of the mob rushing to judgement on a guy batting some real problems, neither is good.

Reaction Score
Addiction is a horrible disease. The hell that their family goes through can not be described.

Reaction Score
There are enough "articles" about harassment at ESPN to write a book. Of course if you are in the "fake news" camp you may or may not believe!! There is a Santa Claus however and I have a bridge for sale

You mean to tell me that there have been problems of that nature in an industry where older athletes are constantly interacting and mentoring younger women without any sort of reliable supervision? Color me shocked, but I think it's tough to blame three centuries worth of institutionalized sexism on one man when to my knowledge there has been nothing concrete to indict him. Then again you were surprised to know that some women may have a problem with you insinuating that those who don't come forward to report harassment lack courage, so it's possible that you may not know everything on this subject.

People who hate ESPN for being too liberal now coming out of the woodwork (not saying this is you) to crush them for this strikes me as awfully ironic. Say what you want about them - they've been trailblazers at every point along the way when it comes to breaking barriers and have provided a ton of opportunities for women over the years. If it turned out that they did something consciously to not protect women, then that will come out. The other stuff is a lot of anecdotal material that can't be fully separated from a number of other variables.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
You mean to tell me that there have been problems of that nature in an industry where older athletes are constantly interacting and mentoring younger women without any sort of reliable supervision? Color me shocked, but I think it's tough to blame three centuries worth of institutionalized sexism on one man when to my knowledge there has been nothing concrete to indict him. Then again you were surprised to know that some women may have a problem with you insinuating that those who don't come forward to report harassment lack courage, so it's possible that you may not know everything on this subject.

People who hate ESPN for being too liberal now coming out of the woodwork (not saying this is you) to crush them for this strikes me as awfully ironic. Say what you want about them - they've been trailblazers at every point along the way when it comes to breaking barriers and have provided a ton of opportunities for women over the years. If it turned out that they did something consciously to not protect women, then that will come out. The other stuff is a lot of anecdotal material that can't be fully separated from a number of other variables.
Not sure where you are going with "older athletes mentoring younger women without reliable supervision". Isn't that what our teachers do everyday with our children? My problem is that alcohol is often used as an excuse for men to be abusive to women. One of the posts talks about the hell the family is going through because addiction is a horrible disease. It is a disease but it isn't an excuse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom