SI New Olympic Issue | The Boneyard

SI New Olympic Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just received my copy. Beautiful cover of the women gymnasts. All kinds of coverage including the men BB team. But no mention whatsoever of the women BB team. I finally found a small mention in the Gold Medal Prediction section, US Women BB Gold, Russia and Czech runners up.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Question for the board: What team/individual is the most prohibitive favorite? Usain Bolt? Michael Phelps? Women's hoops? Men's hoops? Some weightlifter?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I would imagine MBB and WBB, as well as American gymnast McKayla Maroney on the vault (she's PHENOMENAL). The women's gymnastics team as a whole is definitely the favorite, but by no means as assured of victory as the hoops teams.

Reaction Score
Question for the board: What team/individual is the most prohibitive favorite? Usain Bolt? Michael Phelps? Women's hoops? Men's hoops? Some weightlifter?

Usain Bolt may be a favorite, but not a prohibitive one. Remember he got beat in his own nationals by Yohan Blake in both the 100m and 200m.

Reaction Score
Might be Lochte's year so I'm not sure you can call Phelps a prohibitive favorite. I'd think wbb and mbb.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
And WBB is a more prohibitive favorite than the men's team, IMO. The men's team is excellent and should win, but Spain may be able to exploit some depth issues for the US in the paint.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Is there softball this Olympics? There was talk that it was going to be eliminated because the USA could pretty much just show up and claim their gold medal. I seem to recall the Europeans wanted to get rid of softball as they don't really play it there and it seems Europeans are the majority on the committee that decides such things. Wonder if basketball is in any danger for the same reason?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Softball was eliminated because the US was so dominant and because the stadiums couldn't be used for anything else post-Olympics. I think basketball is much more global, and there doesn't seem to be any danger of it going away. Even if the US does win every gold medal for the next 100 years, it's an opportunity for countries to showcase their players, who then might get noticed by the NBA, WNBA, etc. Plus, it's a relatively cheap sport to play, unlike softball or golf, for example.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Is there softball this Olympics? There was talk that it was going to be eliminated because the USA could pretty much just show up and claim their gold medal. I seem to recall the Europeans wanted to get rid of softball as they don't really play it there and it seems Europeans are the majority on the committee that decides such things. Wonder if basketball is in any danger for the same reason?
WBB is not in any danger. In fact, i read they will be adding 3 on 3 so more countries can field teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01