OT: - Shoulder Replacement | The Boneyard

OT: Shoulder Replacement

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
so ... went to a Orthopedic doctor last week to get a cortisone shot in the shoulder.
shoulder has been bad and getting worse the last 2 years - especially when swinging a golf club. they did x-rays and an ultra-sound .... and found a lot more arthritis than expected. she gave me the cortisone shot and said come back after golf season to discuss shoulder replacement! wait. what?

was wondering if anyone has gone thru with this?
how long of a recovery will it take before being able to golf again?
have a May'23 golf trip to Ireland planned

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
btw, Old Head has views comparable to Pebble Beach. a bucket list add on for sure
Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 8.41.42 PM.png

Reaction Score
so ... went to a Orthopedic doctor last week to get a cortisone shot in the shoulder.
shoulder has been bad and getting worse the last 2 years - especially when swinging a golf club. they did x-rays and an ultra-sound .... and found a lot more arthritis than expected. she gave me the cortisone shot and said come back after golf season to discuss shoulder replacement! wait. what?

Um good luck... But why didn't you ask the doctor all of these questions???

Edit: well the recovery question at least!

Reaction Score
My mom has had knee and ankle replacement. I have never heard of shoulder replacement. Everyone I know over 40 that has had an any type of shoulder surgery has had a much more challenging recovery than other joint surgeries. The shoulder is just so complex.

Reaction Score
My dad has had both hips and knees replaced. He was told by multiple surgeons shoulder replacement makes both look like child's play. Not saying it isn't worth it, but I've heard it could be 18 months for full recovery.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
Um good luck... But why didn't you ask the doctor all of these questions???

Edit: well the recovery question at least!
it was a on the way out the door comment - come back in the fall and we'll discuss more. just interested in other's experiences

Reaction Score
I do a lot of them. Pm me.

By far the most successful replacement is hip. Patient satisfaction is close to 95%.

Believe it or not shoulder is next with patient satisfaction being 85-90%.

Knee is the worst, 75-80%. I am sure we all know someone who does not love their knee replacement.

But a lot more questions for you before answers can be provided. Is your rotator cuff intact? Have you had an MRI yet? If so depending on your shoulder anatomy do you have bone loss or deformity that needs to be corrected? Anatomic vs reverse shoulder replacement. Who is the surgeon and how many do they do a year?

All those factors go into if it’s a good idea or not and what your recovery will be.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

Haven't had one, but I’ve done many of them.:cool:
Probably in the range of 4 months to golf. Gotta have enough healing and range of motion.

BTW, all those questions from @Giddyup5 are crucial in the planning and in the likelihood of the kind of outcome you want.

Reaction Score
Side note, Several 50-something friends opting for hip replacement now rather than having things get progressively worse. All are very pleased with the results. Why deal with the pain

Reaction Score
Yes, I’ve had a full shoulder replacement.
Happily mine was very successful. Pain is 99% gone, only mildly appearing on chilly rainy days. Doc gave me 18 new years to use it :). While 18 months is correct for “full recovery” golf was possible far sooner. Your procedure (and therefore rehab) can differ depending on the extent of the arthritis and the status of other tissues. Everyone is different. Do not forget this. What is not different is the absolute dedication to rehab.
Shoulders represent by far the fewest of replacement procedures compared to knees and hips so ensure your surgeon does them often enough to make you confident.
As said, shoulders are the toughest to rehab so wait until you have no choice but to have this surgery and go through many alternatives before submitting (PT, injections, modifying your activities; acupuncture; diet modification and wellness; NSAIDS are wonderful if your gastro can take them)
Do a lot of homework. Ask your doc every question you have. PM me any time.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Take a look at this ,take from it what you will, there is also a good resource website called earthclinic.org where you can research & access studies, testimonials & trails on all facets of natural heath & healing

Attachments

• The_Borax_Conspiracy-by_Walter_Last.pdf
    178.5 KB · Views: 91
Reaction Score
I have had both total shoulder replacements. I strongly recommend my surgeon, Dr. David Dines at Hospital for Special Surgery in New York. I also have had both hips. The shoulder is much easier. The key is NOT to spend weeks post surgery without movement in a sling, except as a precaution when around crowds. HSS has done research that demonstrates quicker recovery with small movements, following proper protocol, right after surgery. Total recovery and able to play golf in 3 months. Don't wait. It's very clear from the x-ray that the cartilage is gone, then the cortisone won't help much. Just get it done and get better.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Your second opinion should not come from some insurance adjuster on the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
I have a very arthritic and painful shoulder, and am weighing my options for total shoulder replacement.

I had a course of PT and was told that after the operation, usually no driving is recommended for at least six weeks.

Can anyone who had the total shoulder replacement or performed one, weigh in on this assessment?

And, is there some objective test to figure out when a person is ready to drive again, other than trial and error in a local parking lot?

Does being over 70 reduce the chance of a successful outcome?

Thanks for any input.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
My brother had major shoulder surgery, not a replacement though, it was about a year recovery for him

Reaction Score
Your second opinion should not come from some insurance adjuster on the Boneyard.

Totally agree. Open heart surgery, brain surgery.....sure. But, we're talking about the man's golf swing here for god's sake!

Reaction Score
I have had both total shoulder replacements. I strongly recommend my surgeon, Dr. David Dines at Hospital for Special Surgery in New York. I also have had both hips. The shoulder is much easier. The key is NOT to spend weeks post surgery without movement in a sling, except as a precaution when around crowds. HSS has done research that demonstrates quicker recovery with small movements, following proper protocol, right after surgery. Total recovery and able to play golf in 3 months. Don't wait. It's very clear from the x-ray that the cartilage is gone, then the cortisone won't help much. Just get it done and get better.
I'm shocked you say shoulders were easier than hips. I had a hip done, and was OK in 2 months, and I've known several others who have played golf within a month of their second hip replacement.

Reaction Score
I have a very arthritic and painful shoulder, and am weighing my options for total shoulder replacement.

I had a course of PT and was told that after the operation, usually no driving is recommended for at least six weeks.

Can anyone who had the total shoulder replacement or performed one, weigh in on this assessment?

And, is there some objective test to figure out when a person is ready to drive again, other than trial and error in a local parking lot?

Does being over 70 reduce the chance of a successful outcome?

Thanks for any input.
Re: driving, every body is different but 6 weeks is a reasonable estimate.
Docs likely to say it’s up to your tolerance and mostly dependent on cessation of opioids post-surgery.
There is no test on driving capacity involved.

Maybe a doctor can chime in on the age question.
What I learned is success more dependent on your reaction to prior procedures than age itself. Your 70 year old body may be in better health than another’s 60 year carbon unit.

Reaction Score

What are you looking to replace it with?

Thank you, thank you....I'm here all week

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom