Should the BE make a play to add West Virginia? | The Boneyard

Should the BE make a play to add West Virginia?

Reaction Score
Obviously football gets in the way, but if the child of the AAC and remaining B12 teams looks rough, maybe they go independent? If the ACC doesn't give them a call, maybe it could happen? Cuse, Pitt, and WV (in that order) are the only ones worth expanding for... BC and Rutgers can rot with everyone else IMO.

Reaction Score
If UT and OU are really staying in the Big 12 for four more years, all of this stuff is premature. The Big East can't add them for 4 years and there is no way WVU is locking themselves into the BE at this point. They are going to try to get into the ACC and they have a lot of connections with the ACC in terms of administration to help their cause.

We are going to have to wait quite some time for all of this to play out. Hopefully, further movement down the road benefits us as well. I love the Big East but I am a huge football fan, so I will always have my eye on the door. WVU is a football school, football independence and the Big East would be a last resort for them.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Rutgers being left to rot in the Big10 is certainly something.

Sure they wouldn't want to go Indy and join Big East for hoops only?

Reaction Score
Big East will merely be a temporary landing spot for WVU unless they are committed to indy football. WVU will try the hardest to get into the ACC since it's probably their best option right now.

Big East would be attractive if many teams go indy in football signing their own individual rights with streaming companies. Big East would be perfect place to house all other sports.

I think the entire college football will go to indy route if some big brands can earn even more money on their own vs. being in conferences. All it takes is for someone like Amazon to offer $100M per year to a team like Texas to get it started. With indy deals, schools can schedule however they like to create great matchups vs having to play Vandy every year.

What UConn is doing now is a preview of future media deals for schools.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Is WV planning on being a FB independent anytime soon? I'd imagine the BE is smart enough to vet any former P5 members that suddenly need a home for their non-FB sports.

Reaction Score
I don't see the Big East adding any other FBS schools (besides UConn). FBS schools (including UConn) are always looking to make a jump to a better conference for football purposes. That's what destroyed the old Big East. They're trying to keep it as a basketball centric conference, and don't want a bunch of teams with football programs with one foot out the door at all times.

Reaction Score
Rutgers being left to rot in the Big10 is certainly something.

Sure they wouldn't want to go Indy and join Big East for hoops only?
I mean rotting in the sense of I miss playing Syracuse, Pitt, and WV... wish they were in new BE. I couldn't care less to ever play BC or Rutgers again, I know the spots they're in are great for them.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Is WV planning on being a FB independent anytime soon? I'd imagine the BE is smart enough to vet any former P5 members that suddenly need a home for their non-FB sports.

I think I mentioned this in another thread. WVU as a football independent intrigues me. I also think they could make a decent transition from the east coast schools in the BE to the midwest schools in the BE.

I'm not necessarily for it, but if WVU goes independent and rest of their sports go BE, that's one more easy game for UConn to schedule in FB each year.

Reaction Score
I think I mentioned this in another thread. WVU as a football independent intrigues me. I also think they could make a decent transition from the east coast schools in the BE to the midwest schools in the BE.

I'm not necessarily for it, but if WVU goes independent and rest of their sports go BE, that's one more easy game for UConn to schedule in FB each year.
I feel like WVU is in the (somewhat) unique scenario where football and basketball are of equal pedigree, I'm sure if you asked most WVU fans they prefer football over basketball, but I can't imagine it would be a huge majority. I think that puts them in an interesting spot for this next round of realignment.

Reaction Score

I would. But, West Virginia and Kansas go Indy and join in all other sports?
I could see that.

big east isn’t afraid of FB schools, they just don’t want a football league.

Reaction Score
I would. But, West Virginia and Kansas go Indy and join in all other sports?
I could see that.

big east isn’t afraid of FB schools, they just don’t want a football league.

Would be great for BE and for UConn if there would be a FB game every year amongst the 3 schools.

Reaction Score
My good buddy is a big WVU fan. We just talked about all this earlier today. He wants the B12 to add BYU, Cincy, UCF and UConn, same as he wanted a couple of years ago. They'd have the NY presence they've always wanted (Apparently, the B12 feels slighted by east coast media), games the fans would be excited about for the most part (assuming UConn football becomes average or better again) and they'd kill off the AAC. He says there is no other solution that will last long term because without UConn, they will remain a Southwestern league that will never get the attention the eastern leagues get. He knows UCF would help in Florida, but it wouldn't do much for them elsewhere on the east coast as they have no presence on the 95 corridor. He feels the SEC is the only conference that can operate successfully without Northeastern schools. Even the PAC suffers east coast envy.

This is kind of interesting because there was some talk that the PAC was dying for eastern eyeballs and attention as well. I had heard from my contact at SNY that UConn might make a small scheduling alliance with the PAC when we left the AAC. Maybe we end up in the mix again. My question would be, are we even interested in a reconstituted B12?

Reaction Score
If UT and OU are really staying in the Big 12 for four more years, all of this stuff is premature.

1) It wont be 4 more years
2) Nothing is premature. Any league not named the SEC may have thought it was too early to talk with UT & OU about 2025.

Reaction Score
My good buddy is a big WVU fan. We just talked about all this earlier today. He wants the B12 to add BYU, Cincy, UCF and UConn, same as he wanted a couple of years ago. They'd have the NY presence they've always wanted (Apparently, the B12 feels slighted by east coast media), games the fans would be excited about for the most part (assuming UConn football becomes average or better again) and they'd kill off the AAC. He says there is no other solution that will last long term because without UConn, they will remain a Southwestern league that will never get the attention the eastern leagues get. He knows UCF would help in Florida, but it wouldn't do much for them elsewhere on the east coast as they have no presence on the 95 corridor. He feels the SEC is the only conference that can operate successfully without Northeastern schools. Even the PAC suffers east coast envy.

This is kind of interesting because there was some talk that the PAC was dying for eastern eyeballs and attention as well. I had heard from my contact at SNY that UConn might make a small scheduling alliance with the PAC when we left the AAC. Maybe we end up in the mix again. My question would be, are we even interested in a reconstituted B12?
I wouldn't touch the B12 with a 10 foot poll... and listen I don't know that UConn has the pull to give the B12 the "attention the eastern leagues get." Will we drawl eyeballs? For sure. Do I think UConn is the chip the B12 is banking on to keep afloat? Hell no.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't touch the B12 with a 10 foot poll... and listen I don't know that UConn has the pull to give the B12 the "attention the eastern leagues get." Will we drawl eyeballs? For sure. Do I think UConn is the chip the B12 is banking on to keep afloat? Hell no.

Exactly. B12 in the current state without OU and TX is just another AAC. What's the incentive for UCONN to join such a conference? Big East's next media deal might be close to what this new conference will be offering. In addition, every B12 leftover will be out of the town the sec the school gets a better offer just like the current AAC. Until more information is available, it is like jumping from one titanic to another.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree, UConn football doesn’t have that pull. However, UConn in conjunction with Cincy, UCF and WVU does give the B12 a sizable presence on/near the east coast and UConn gives them a presence in the Northeast megalopolis, which would be big for a “Texas league”. It is probably the best alternative the B12 may have.

That allows B12 teams to travel east and be seen in the NY/Boston metros. It also allows their alumni to see a game in the area. The B12 needs to become more of a national conference to survive without UT and OU. Otherwise, the B12 is done and I don’t see them all finding nice landing spots. One thing I don’t see making any sense at all is adding Houston or SMU. The Texas schools need to keep whatever advantage they can over their in state rivals.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

We already were part of a conference where we were the outlier. It was called the AAC and it was horrible. I know the schools left in the Big 12 are different level than the AAC schools but we'd be an outlier again. Considering our strength and prized program is our bball program, I can't see us leaving the Big East to join a rag tag Big 12 lite. It would be another conference of schools looking for a better home.

So to answer your question, No, No, No. The Big 12 can rot and I'll enjoy watching all the different schools go down with the ship

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The more I think about this move by OU and UT, the less I like it for either side. I think I am 100% right that Alston is driving this, but I don't think the SEC, OU or UT are making the right play by joining up. The track record of schools in new conferences is terrible, and there is a good chance that OU and UT will sink to mediocrity, or in UT's case, just being a bad program.

Maybe everyone else is right to wait a beat before adding members.

Reaction Score
In a normal world, the ACC would kick out Louisville and add WVU. But I doubt that will happen. But I can see WVU being added to the ACC. I know that the ACC ship has long since sailed for UConn, but the ACC has a Syracuse, Pitt, BC suckitude problem. No rivalries, declining doormat programs. Adding UConn would give some juice to Syracuse and BC, and even Pitt. But the football rules the world mentality of the south will never allow it.

Reaction Score
I agree, UConn football doesn’t have that pull. However, UConn in conjunction with Cincy, UCF and WVU does give the B12 a sizable presence on/near the east coast and UConn gives them a presence in the Northeast megalopolis, which would be big for a “Texas league”. It is probably the best alternative the B12 may have.

That allows B12 teams to travel east and be seen in the NY/Boston metros. It also allows their alumni to see a game in the area. The B12 needs to become more of a national conference to survive without UT and OU. Otherwise, the B12 is done and I don’t see them all finding nice landing spots. One thing I don’t see making any sense at all is adding Houston or SMU. The Texas schools need to keep whatever advantage they can over their in state rivals.
This is what I'm thinking.....I think its possible that the B1G, PAC and ACC are not going to have any interest in adding the remaining Big 12 schoolx....Now of course I hope the ACC offers WVU but I'm holding to the very possible reality that none of the Big 12 schools will be getting an invite. I envision a Big 12 That keeps its 7 Texas and plains schools as a Western division, and with WVU in the East we add Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, Navy, Tulane (yes I know thats odd but the New Orleans metro might be nice and Tulane is a highly respected academic institution......and last but certainly not least, Uconn. 14 schools with great Basketball, very good Football, and I think it might be able to pull down between 15-25 million per school in revenue. With expanded playoffs the champion would have a shot at qualifying.....it would be many orders of magnitude better than the current AAC or any other G5 Conference.

Reaction Score
We already were part of a conference where we were the outlier. It was called the AAC and it was horrible. I know the schools left in the Big 12 are different level than the AAC schools but we'd be an outlier again. Considering our strength and prized program is our bball program, I can't see us leaving the Big East to join a rag tag Big 12 lite. It would be another conference of schools looking for a better home.

So to answer your question, No, No, No. The Big 12 can rot and I'll enjoy watching all the different schools go down with the ship
I see your point but I have a suspicion that no P5 Conferences want to expand with the remaining Big 12 schools, the one exception MIGHT be WVU to the ACC, but it isn't because the ACC wants WVU, it might be because WVU is the only rational choice if they need to trigger a renegotiation of their TV contract.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom