Should Hurley start calling plays for Castle? | The Boneyard

Should Hurley start calling plays for Castle?

Reaction Score
Clearly, Hurley likes shots to come from running the offense. But the offense is built around getting open shots from the arc. So there are plenty of opportunities fro Spenser, Karaban and Newton. And the pick and rolls are designed to get Clingan or Johnson looks at the rim.

Castle scores off second chances and fast breaks. In the half court he is a facilitater. He almost never posts up although he a walking mismatch for smaller guards. And an occasional clear out giving him a chance to drive to the basket would also seem a possibility.

I know we are 14-2. Hurley is coaching at a very high level. Castle is averaging 9.7 points and 4.8 boards and 3.8 dimes. But it seems like he is just scratching the surface. Would like to see the guys run a play,or two, for him more often.

Reaction Score
Teams have been putting bigger guys on him because they know he does his work in the paint. Wouldn’t mind getting him going downhill a bit more though.

Reaction Score
We are. We iso'd him for a drive at least a few times yesterday.
And he had some other iso opportunities with good spacing that he didn’t take advantage of. This was late in the game when guys were getting a little tight. I like him attacking off the dribble as much as possible

Reaction Score
And he had some other iso opportunities with good spacing that he didn’t take advantage of. This was late in the game when guys were getting a little tight. I like him attacking off the dribble as much as possible

He was 5/5 at the rim yesterday and is one of the best in all of college basketball at finishing. He needs as many attacks as his conditioning will allow

Reaction Score
Right, that happened multiple times. People just don’t know what to look for. I would like to see them utilize him a bit more in some PnR actions though. He has a good feel in those actions. Think they could hammer that action a bit more for some additional opportunities at the rim, midrange, or lobs.

Reaction Score
I noticed late he was holding his shoulder a little bit, but seemed to play through it with no issue. That could’ve been why he wasn’t attacking down the stretch. It is a big jump to go from a mins restriction to back to back 36 minute appearances.

Reaction Score

You can tell that Castle is still progressing through the "take a little more time than needed" stage of processing what's going on during halfcourt offense sets. He was noticeable tentative and slow with his decisionmaking...moreso in the 1st half.

Once he starts quickening up processing (in the right way)--and I expect it will be in the next few-ish games--both he and the team are really gonna be a huge problem,

Reaction Score
Looks like Dan has ISO action for Steph already. He is money going to the hoop and PnR is not as effective without DC in the action. Samson's BBIQ is not as instinctive as DC's on the offensive end.

Castle is surrounded by great shooters and is moving the ball extremely well as he continues to develop his own skills into game flow and opportunistic buckets. Another solid game for him yesterday.

Reaction Score
Steph is definitely money going to the hoop but they were at least three or four times yesterday -particular later in the game where I was saying to myself “take it Steph take it Steph”
He did have 2 key drives late in the game were he did take it to the hoop and scored. That un and under basket was amazing since he did it so effortless. He needs to do this more when the opportunity arises. He seems to have to setttle into games like the St. John's game. It would be nice if we did run some plays early in the game were we cleared out the lane for him to take advantage of his ability to drive and score. I also would like to see a pull up mid range shots from him. He can make those if the man drops off. The 3 point shot I rather he leaves those to only when wide open off a pass.

Reaction Score
Castle's 2-point shooting percentage has to be off the charts for a perimeter player. So it's a fine balance. We're running offense as well as anyone in the country, and you don't want to change it much, but yes, even if it's within the offense it would be great if they can get him more shots from around the rim.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think he is working up to it. If we int3nd to win the whole thing it will be required. At the moment, he still gets lost and the young freshman mistakes are plentiful.

That said, by the eye test he was having a bad game only to look up and he has 12/4/4 while spending a chuck of time on the bench.

I think he needs a more dependable decision making situation before Hurley can really turn him lose. He great in transition or broken plays. Seems tight in the half court, the O doesn't run as well with him dribbling, his outside shot needs to improve, but you can see it's all there.

Can he and Hurley unlock it, like with AJ last season? That may decide the title.

Reaction Score
Castle's 2-point shooting percentage has to be off the charts for a perimeter player. So it's a fine balance. We're running offense as well as anyone in the country, and you don't want to change it much, but yes, even if it's within the offense it would be great if they can get him more shots from around the rim.
Was surprised it wasn't higher, he's tied for 40th among guards with 50+ attempts at 62.5% in 2 point FG%. He is 3rd among P6 players though. Interestingly, the leader in 2 point FG% for all positions is Samson Johnson at 76.2%

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was surprised it wasn't higher, he's tied for 40th among guards with 50+ attempts at 62.5% in 2 point FG%. Interestingly, the leader in 2 point FG% for all positions is Samson Johnson at 76.2%

That little push shot of SJs is helping him a lot. He seems automatic from 4-6 ft with it

Reaction Score
Was surprised it wasn't higher, he's tied for 40th among guards with 50+ attempts at 62.5% in 2 point FG%. He is 3rd among P6 players though. Interestingly, the leader in 2 point FG% for all positions is Samson Johnson at 76.2%
He had a couple not good shooting games against Gonzaga and St. John's when he came back that bring it down a bit.
Steph's averages over the last three games:

13.3 points, 6.3 assists, 6.3 rebounds, 1.7 steals, 1 block

.680 FG, .800 2P%, .700 eFG% -- 6-for-6 on twos against both DePaul and Xavier.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He had a couple not good shooting games against Gonzaga and St. John's when he came back that bring it down a bit.
Steph's averages over the last three games:

13.3 points, 6.3 assists, 6.3 rebounds, 1.7 steals, 1 block

.680 FG, .800 2P%, .700 eFG% -- 6-for-6 on twos against both DePaul and Xavier.
Making 12 straight 2 point shots at a power conference level, with athletes everywhere and most every shot contested, is really unusual. Clingan seemed to do it all the time the beginning of last year, but Castle isn't 7'2".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Similar to last year I hope, as teams in conference play sagged off Jackson considerably he initially struggled. Forced some shots. I believe the coaching staff will adjust and find plays to counter this and that plays to Castle's strengths and athleticism

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He has unbelievable quickness when he closes in on the rim. Sometimes it is so fast you can't see it.
They need a slow mo cam for some of those. Same observation when they show the replay. It's like
what?? what was that!!!

Reaction Score
Castle needs the threat of the mid range jumper or defenders are going to continue to sage back into the lane making it more difficult for him to drive
KEA had a pretty sweet floater that would be a nice add for him.

Reaction Score
Clearly, Hurley likes shots to come from running the offense. But the offense is built around getting open shots from the arc. So there are plenty of opportunities fro Spenser, Karaban and Newton. And the pick and rolls are designed to get Clingan or Johnson looks at the rim.

Castle scores off second chances and fast breaks. In the half court he is a facilitater. He almost never posts up although he a walking mismatch for smaller guards. And an occasional clear out giving him a chance to drive to the basket would also seem a possibility.

I know we are 14-2. Hurley is coaching at a very high level. Castle is averaging 9.7 points and 4.8 boards and 3.8 dimes. But it seems like he is just scratching the surface. Would like to see the guys run a play,or two, for him more often.
Def think we should run some post ups for him at least 2-3 per

Reaction Score
Hurley will maximize his effectiveness, but maybe soon I’d like to see Castle stop the 3’s or most of them and either go all the way to the basket or pull up for mid range which he has a better chance of making. He’s at 20% on 3’s right now. If that number holds up this season then it’s an easy decision.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Similar to last year I hope, as teams in conference play sagged off Jackson considerably he initially struggled. Forced some shots. I believe the coaching staff will adjust and find plays to counter this and that plays to Castle's strengths and athleticism

Am I remembering right that Hutley started using Jackson to set screens off of hand off passes to shooters??

If Jackson's defender didn't come out to the wing, the shooter got a clean look for 3. If defender came out, Jackson would hand off and slip to the basket??

Reaction Score
This is the week to implement something for the rest of the season. I bet we get some new plays and sets starting against Xavier.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom