Shortage of players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shortage of players

Reaction Score
Did any of those players join the team eight games into the season? (That was a rhetorical question.)

Dawn Staley agreed to cancel last year's gme with SC. Was that due to UConn injuries? I really don't remember the exact reason.
South Carolina asked to cancel because I believe the conference wanted to use the date for a make-up SEC game against Mississippi.

Reaction Score
Did any of those players join the team eight games into the season? (That was a rhetorical question.)

Dawn Staley agreed to cancel last year's gme with SC. Was that due to UConn injuries? I really don't remember the exact reason.
Dawn needed to schedule a conference game to have a chance to win the SEC title.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I know I’m going to get ripped to shreds, but here goes…
Maybe at a different university with a less than seriously competitive program it would work.
You could even do it by raffle or bid the spot on the roster out allowing sponsorship of a walk on for a charitable donation.
Would make a great story.
Not a good idea at UCONN.
Don’t think that anybody associated with the WBB program, players, coaches, administrators would appreciate the suggestion.
Better to forfeit a game or even two rather than make a mockery of everything accomplished by the Huskies.
Also, even though these young ladies are-when physically sound-strong, fit and durable, not having the minimum number of healthy players is a recipe for additional injuries.
We’re UCONN and have to answer to an even higher authority.
If by some chance some knucklehead in college administration insisted they do it, Geno & CD’s would tender their resignations.
IMHO
From the list @Biff provided you can see that every championship season features at least one walk-on.

The benefit for the team are players willing to put in all the effort while knowing they will get none of the “glory.” This has an inspiring effect similar to the most gifted players like Moore and Bueckers working the hardest. Walk-ons are good for morale in multiple ways.

The benefit to the walk-on is the journey involved with a team that “does things right” to develop both the player and the person.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Walk-ons can come from a number of sources, some expected and some not.
ND hadn't had a walk-on since 2011 until the 2017-18 season, which -- as you might recall - was the one when ND was hit by a few (then) unexpected transfers and (eventually) a total of four ACL injuries. Three walk-ons, in total, were on what would become an NC-winning team.
  • Maureen Butler
  • Kaitlin Cole
  • Nicole Benz

The first two tried out. Cole was scouted, to a degree, by Marina Mabrey in ND's extensive Bookstore Basketball tournament.
Benz was a manager who became a player after Lili Thompson went down with her ACL injury.

Cole, the product of a die-hard ND family (see attached article) got some playing time that year. Eventually, Cole and Benz continued playing for the Irish and both eventually earned scholarships.

Since that time, ND has had a steady stream of walk-ons; most came from try-outs, but one was also a volleyball player who came over after the season.

Good luck to UConn in filling out that bench!

Reaction Score
Why not? The real question is whether or not she is interested in playing basketball. If I am mistaken, she would be eligible for 4 years.

Reaction Score
Would rather see the coaching staff focus their time on helping players like DeBerry and Patterson get more productive. Likely a result of a confidence issue, DeBerry tends to slow down and Patterson to speed up when under pressure. Both have great skills and could over power defenders if they used their height and physical assets more on both offense and defense.
I agree. The focus needs to be on improving those players that Geno has on the bench. It was DeBerry’s best game in terms of minutes and she has been improving. I’m sure that reviewing the film of times when she wasn’t protecting the ball will help her. Unfortunately right now she’s playing a little bit like the other team isn’t there and it’s practice. I think patterson is like edwards was in her freshman year. Edwards was so hyped up she made silly fouls. That’s where Patterson is now

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Would rather see the coaching staff focus their time on helping players like DeBerry and Patterson get more productive. Likely a result of a confidence issue, DeBerry tends to slow down and Patterson to speed up when under pressure. Both have great skills and could over power defenders if they used their height and physical assets more on both offense and defense.
I'm not questioning the deep and abiding love that we all have for our former walk-ons like Pulido and Lawlor, but have any of our walk-ons actually provided meaningful minutes against challenging opponents?

I agree with @HopJim , seems like we should be able to get more production and minutes out of players who were highly rated basketball recruits than someone who has no experience playing competitive basketball at the elite level that UConn requires.

Walk-ons might be helpful for conducting practices and maybe even reinforcing team culture, but anything beyond that seems quixotic at best.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not questioning the deep and abiding love that we all have for our former walk-ons like Tierney and Lawlor, but have any of our walk-ons actually provided meaningful minutes against challenging opponents?

I agree with @HopJim , seems like we should be able to get more production and minutes out of players who were highly rated basketball recruits than someone who has no experience playing competitive basketball at the elite level that UConn requires.

Walk-ons might be helpful for conducting practices and maybe even reinforcing team culture, but anything beyond that seems quixotic at best.
I believe Pulido and Lawlor were recruited specifically as practice players on the road. They were rewarded in subsequent years with scholarships.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Some of y'all crack me up.

Ines literally played on Portugal's junior national team and is sitting in the front seat of the struggle bus, and you think there is some random UConn student (or athlete in another sport) who is going to be as or more impactful? Who hasn't played organized basketball in at least a year? Without any practice in an offense that requires a really high basketball IQ to execute...

It isn't happening.

Reaction Score
Some of y'all crack me up.

Ines literally played on Portugal's junior national team and is sitting in the front seat of the struggle bus, and you think there is some random UConn student (or athlete in another sport) who is going to be as or more impactful? Who hasn't played organized basketball in at least a year? Without any practice in an offense that requires a really high basketball IQ to execute...

It isn't happening.
Good point. To add to that, Geno did bring in an actual real deal basketball player midway through the season two years ago, and how did that turn out?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Good point. To add to that, Geno did bring in an actual real deal basketball player midway through the season two years ago, and how did that turn out?
A year and a half later, she's putting together a campaign for SEC freshman of the year.

We also forget that Saylor was coming off of injury and a long time away from basketball -- the fact that UConn and the wbb program wasn't a great fit for her was secondary to all of that.

It could work with the right player (remember, Olivia Miles did the same thing at ND and was fairly successful), but IMO (and like others have stated), it would be a waste of a year of eligibility with our current incoming class.

Reaction Score
I believe Pulido and Lawlor were recruited specifically as practice players on the road. They were rewarded in subsequent years with scholarships.
Within a few weeks, likely Muhl, Fudd and Lou will all be playing again. Next year, we will have two more great guard recruits and hopefully Paige will be back. Not sure where you would find a walk on that would want to bust their tail for a few weeks. After that, doubt you would even get much practice time.

Reaction Score
Maybe at a different university with a less than seriously competitive program it would work.
You could even do it by raffle or bid the spot on the roster out allowing sponsorship of a walk on for a charitable donation.
Don’t think that anybody associated with the WBB program, players, coaches, administrators would appreciate the suggestion.
Better to forfeit a game or even two rather than make a mockery of everything accomplished by the Huskies.
Also, even though these young ladies are-when physically sound-strong, fit and durable, not having the minimum number of healthy players is a recipe for additional injuries.
If by some chance some knucklehead in college administration insisted they do it, Geno & CD’s would tender their resignations.
IMHO

Not sure why this is getting downvoted. A mid-season walk-on would not work.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Oh my....she has to be some athlete.
Maybe over thinking it, but volleyball players don't have to run much, could get winded after a couple times up and down the floor.
Soccer players could handle the running, but too many kicked balls.
Is a header for a basket legal?:D

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
IMHO
'Better to forfeit a game or even two rather than make a mockery of everything accomplished by the Huskies.'
methinks that u need a liedown, cuz u ain't well.
we're talkin aboot a geno auriemma led squad.
they should call this 'geno's song.'

Feel the city breakin' and everybody shakin'
And we're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.

he's a dancin man, and he just can't lose.

Reaction Score
Within a few weeks, likely Muhl, Fudd and Lou will all be playing again. Next year, we will have two more great guard recruits and hopefully Paige will be back. Not sure where you would find a walk on that would want to bust their tail for a few weeks. After that, doubt you would even get much practice time.
There are players in the portal ... and with the NCAA relaxing the rules for sitting out who knows?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I teach an evening class on Thursdays and didn’t get to watch last night. I’m not sure I even have the heart to watch it today. And I’m equally uncertain I will be able to muster the courage to watch on Sunday. But the girls have to have considerably more courage to play in it, so I better pull myself together and watch.
Spoiler alert: we won. You will be fine watching the game.

Reaction Score
As you so correctly point out, this is anticipated to be a very short term need. Close to rent a player for a month or two and then no need the rest of this season or in future ones. Where I might differ a little, is while most probably would not be interested under those conditions, I could see how some might. Even if it doesn't lead to something, you can tell people years from now that for a brief period you were part of the Uconn Huskies women's basketball team. That might be enough for somebody, their 15 minutes of fame so to speak.

Reaction Score
Well, I'm watching it now, and in the 1st quarter, at the 2:30 mark, I see Nika driving the lane and scoring. Yet another indicator of the new offense-minded Nika we all hoped to see this summer. May she return to the lineup soon!

Reaction Score
Also, in the 1st quarter, Amari has a couple of excellent buckets on smooth post moves. She looks a bit lost on defense, and when she's on offense at the high post. But she can definitely do low-post offense.

Reaction Score
Also, in the 1st quarter, Amari has a couple of excellent buckets on smooth post moves. She looks a bit lost on defense, and when she's on offense at the high post. But she can definitely do low-post offense.
I think defensively and offensively she is doing a lot of things by rote ... thus the passes on plays where she maybe should have thought twice. I think the light will go on soon. I think I saw somewhere that CD said part of her problem is stamina. Amari does move deceptively quick up and down the court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom