Share your thoughts on 2022 Class | The Boneyard

Share your thoughts on 2022 Class

Reaction Score
Our Apparent Openings
1. Current Open Scholly
2. Tyler Polley
3. Isaiah Whaley
4. RJ Cole (Could take a Covid year but that would be 6 years in college)
5. Tyrese Martin (Could take Covid year but seemed set on 2 & out)
6. Poss Akok Akok (Will have had 3.5 years on campus with summers so likely close to graduate before 2022 season would end)

2022 Kids we have Offered or Seem Recently Interested

Bigs: Donovan Clingan, Derrick Lively, Kyle Filipowski, Alex Karaban, Favour Aire, Jarace Walker,
Wings: Cam Whitmore, Yann Farrell
Guards: Corey Floyd Jr, Justice Williams, Zion Cruz, Quadir Copeland, Rodney Rice, JJ Starling, Donald Hand Jr, Denver Angelin

Holdovers
Frontcourt: Sanogo, Johnson, Springs, (poss Akok)
Guards/Wings: Gaffney, Diggins, Jackson, Hawkins

Interested in your thoughts. Can be based on your dream team, or most likely commits, greatest need, or other factors.

I'd like any 2 of Clingan, Filipowski, Karaban, and 2 more guard/wings with at least 1 at 6'4 or greater. Quadir Copeland is intriguing as a 6'6 ball handler in the mold of Kadaray Richmond. Seems to be able to attack and get by defenders to the rim to get his shot or dish. The better he is at the foul line, and as a shooter, the more I would covet him. Yann Farrell and Donald Hand I haven't seen enough of. Justice Williams and Zion Cruz haven't done much when I've watched. Whitmore, Rice, Starling, and Angelin are all interesting. Whitmore and Rice seem versatile and can score. Angelin seems like the shooter in the group. He had a good writeup from the Rens/Team Final game in Pittsburgh. Now we seem involved whether we were before or not. Looking forward to how things shake out.

Reaction Score
Fwiw I'd put Karaban and Walker in the "wings" category.

My ideal, mostly realistic, class would be

1. Floyd
2. Karaban
3. Filipowski
4. Angelin... or any of these scoring guards as long as they can shoot. I think Rice is also a realistic option for us. Not so sure about Williams, Cruz or Hand at this point.

All 4 are shooters. We need that.

Clingan would be great too and ultimately I think he comes here... Just not confident that he fits our scheme defensively.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Filipowski is the guy I’m most excited about. A strong 6’11 who seems to do everything you’d want in a stretch big plus he has that motor and toughness Hurley and we all love.

While @husky429 says Clingan is scheme-specific (which I agree. Classic skilled big man).

Filipowski is a perfect fit anywhere. Reminds me a lot of Dawson Garcia...any and every team would love a player like that.

Reaction Score
Floyd/Karaban/Filipowski/Hand/ to be determined.

Can Filipowski and DC co-exist in the same lineup? Does one signing encourage the other one to look elsewhere?

Most of Ricker's identified prospects-many of whom are very good fits- have been recruited by our existing staff (pre-Murray). Murray has relationships with some of them. I do think that Murray's influence will be shown in the 2022 class with players who will commit that we are not as familiar with.

It's a good time to be a Husky fan. Now let's get our SnC guy in before everyone is back on campus June 1st.

Reaction Score
As a general thought, I really like how balanced in terms of size and skill set Hurley’s classes are. I’m no expert, but targeting and signing 3-4 guys per year seems much more manageable for the staff than going after 5+ guys. They don’t have to scramble and sign whoever is left. Plus, as a recruit knowing that you’re the only one in your class that fits a certain role must be attractive.

But to address the question at hand, I agree with @husky429 give me Karaban, Floyd, Filipowksi and Angelin. That’s a hell of a class with almost all staying several years.

Reaction Score
Filipowski is the guy I’m most excited about. A strong 6’11 who seems to do everything you’d want in a stretch big plus he has that motor and toughness Hurley and we all love.

While @husky429 says Clingan is scheme-specific (which I agree. Classic skilled big man).

Filipowski is a perfect fit anywhere. Reminds me a lot of Dawson Garcia...any and every team would love a player like that.

I believe that Murray is the point man on Karaban, Filipowski, and Angelin. Or at least we weren't recruiting them until he got here. Could be a coincidence, idk.

Reaction Score
Surprised to see so many people in the filipowski camp as top pick at the 5 but I think I’m in that same mindset. He fits the mold we seem to want when it comes to playing with athleticism and versatility much more so than clingan can. It certainly is an interesting debate.

Reaction Score
Surprised to see so many people in the filipowski camp as top pick at the 5 but I think I’m in that same mindset. He fits the mold we seem to want when it comes to playing with athleticism and versatility much more so than clingan can. It certainly is an interesting debate.

Filipowski fits what we do right now on offense so well. He isn't as athletic as Samson or anything, but I do think he's got the potential to be effective defending in a hard hedge too. He's a triple-threat from the top of the key in handoff situations, which is EXACTLY what we want in a big man.. I think he's probably a guy that is ready to contribute on some level year 1, even if it's in a backup role.

I think Clingan is very high potential guy at the college level. And it would be foolish to not heavily recruit a top 100 kid right in our home state. That being said, he isn't going to be able to hard hedge, and putting him in handoffs at the top of the key isn't going to maximize his potential at all. People want to say he's the next Dickinson at Michigan, but he is not nearly as polished at the same stage. He's going to require a couple years to develop physically and adjust to the speed of the game to be effective. He's a third-option year one at the 5 IMO.

I would love either on our team. Both make us better in the long run. Fillipowski makes us better faster and doesn't make us change the way we run an offense or defense.

Reaction Score
Our Apparent Openings
1. Current Open Scholly
2. Tyler Polley
3. Isaiah Whaley
4. RJ Cole (Could take a Covid year but that would be 6 years in college)
5. Tyrese Martin (Could take Covid year but seemed set on 2 & out)
6. Poss Akok Akok (Will have had 3.5 years on campus with summers so likely close to graduate before 2022 season would end)

2022 Kids we have Offered or Seem Recently Interested
Bigs: Donovan Clingan, Derrick Lively, Kyle Filipowski, Alex Karaban, Favour Aire, Jarace Walker,
Wings: Cam Whitmore, Yann Farrell
Guards: Corey Floyd Jr, Justice Williams, Zion Cruz, Quadir Copeland, Rodney Rice, JJ Starling, Donald Hand Jr, Denver Angelin

Holdovers
Frontcourt: Sanogo, Johnson, Springs, (poss Akok)
Guards/Wings: Gaffney, Diggins, Jackson, Hawkins

Interested in your thoughts. Can be based on your dream team, or most likely commits, greatest need, or other factors.

I'd like any 2 of Clingan, Filipowski, Karaban, and 2 more guard/wings with at least 1 at 6'4 or greater. Quadir Copeland is intriguing as a 6'6 ball handler in the mold of Kadaray Richmond. Seems to be able to attack and get by defenders to the rim to get his shot or dish. The better he is at the foul line, and as a shooter, the more I would covet him. Yann Farrell and Donald Hand I haven't seen enough of. Justice Williams and Zion Cruz haven't done much when I've watched. Whitmore, Rice, Starling, and Angelin are all interesting. Whitmore and Rice seem versatile and can score. Angelin seems like the shooter in the group. He had a good writeup from the Rens/Team Final game in Pittsburgh. Now we seem involved whether we were before or not. Looking forward to how things shake out.
Filipowski fits what we do right now on offense so well. He isn't as athletic as Samson or anything, but I do think he's got the potential to be effective defending in a hard hedge too. He's a triple-threat from the top of the key in handoff situations, which is EXACTLY what we want in a big man.. I think he's probably a guy that is ready to contribute on some level year 1, even if it's in a backup role.

I think Clingan is very high potential guy at the college level. And it would be foolish to not heavily recruit a top 100 kid right in our home state. That being said, he isn't going to be able to hard hedge, and putting him in handoffs at the top of the key isn't going to maximize his potential at all. People want to say he's the next Dickinson at Michigan, but he is not nearly as polished at the same stage. He's going to require a couple years to develop physically and adjust to the speed of the game to be effective. He's a third-option year one at the 5 IMO.

I would love either on our team. Both make us better in the long run. Fillipowski makes us better faster and doesn't make us change the way we run an offense or defense.
Ricker and Husky429 are not only on top of their games on recruiting and evaluating players but must also be mind readers.

It struck me while reading some recent threads that DH's preferred style of play would likely work better, at least initially, with Class of 22 players like Filipowski and Lively (forgot about Aire and don't know anything about Walker) but DC can also be a special player for many reasons.

Those comparing DC to Dickinson (me included at some point in the past) saw a world of difference if they watched Michigan this year. Dickinson went to college looking like a fully grown, filled out, 29 year old grizzled veteran who's been shaving since fifth grade while DC looks like a typical high school Junior, just bigger. Room to fill out, great teammate, lacking as much high level experience, has skills that will make him a successful high level player, not yet ready for the speed of the college game, but ready to start shaving soon......... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Ricker and Husky429 are not only on top of their games on recruiting and evaluating players but must also be mind readers.

It struck me while reading some recent threads that DH's preferred style of play would likely work better, at least initially, with Class of 22 players like Filipowski and Lively (forgot about Aire and don't know anything about Walker) but DC can also be a special player for many reasons.

Those comparing DC to Dickinson (me included at some point in the past) saw a world of difference if they watched Michigan this year. Dickinson went to college looking like a fully grown, filled out, 29 year old grizzled veteran who's been shaving since fifth grade while DC looks like a typical high school Junior, just bigger. Room to fill out, great teammate, lacking as much high level experience, has skills that will make him a successful high level player, not yet ready for the speed of the college game, but ready to start shaving soon......... :rolleyes:
Typical HS junior? What high school did you go to?

Reaction Score
IMO. DC is still growing into his body and his foot speed is just a half a step slower right now. Once he's established position/sets up in the paint--Hard to move him off the blocks.

Filipowski reminds me of Kevin McHale with a three point shot. Very good passer for someone his size.Also see some Chet H in his game.

Different styles and strengths. Both will have successful college careers before making some real money at the next level.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

im with you on this for one, simple reason - it appears to me that flip could guard clingan yet clingan could not guard flip.
i'll take flip and cam for '22, be very happy, and not ask for anything else, if santa is listening.

conn4>cuse1

Zone Is For Cowards
Reaction Score
how long has Hurley been on Filipowski? cuz I don't remember it being that long...
There are some people who might be forgetting how long we've been on Clingan and how bad we want him. He would be such a godsend. I would take either one tho

Reaction Score
don't want anyone that can't shoot 3s other than clingan or lively

Reaction Score
how long has Hurley been on Filipowski? cuz I don't remember it being that long...
There are some people who might be forgetting how long we've been on Clingan and how bad we want him. He would be such a godsend. I would take either one tho
We offered him very early in his recruitment. We are now picking up the pace considerably.

Reaction Score

It’s a really interesting debate and I think any of clingan filipowski or even lively we would be getting a great player for our future. I guess it comes down to the home state hero vs tremendous fit. If clingan was from somewhere else I wonder how many of us and hurley would be so invested in him coming here.

Reaction Score
I want to add Ty Rodgers, Denver Anglin, and Filipowski to Floyd. Denver Anglin has a cool name, I watched some Ty Rodgers videos on youtube and he's a shot-maker. I want Clingan but I think Filipowski will let us play 5 out while being big and not sacrificing anything for Hurley's defensive scheme.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom