Shabazz vs CP3 | The Boneyard

Shabazz vs CP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
i really hope he can get his assists up to 6-8 per game, i think he can with the weapons hell have around him

Reaction Score
watching that vid just further illustrates why the Cassell Sr comparisons come up with Bazz, all the lil jab steps and the initiation of contact with the defender to create separation for the midrange J comes straight out of Cassell's arsenal

Reaction Score
Shabazz isn't an explosive athlete and is considered small, so he's often overlooked. But he's insanely skilled and has a great understanding of the game (in some ways.... that's all comparable to CP3 as well). People are underestimating him, our fan-base included. We have one of the very best players in the country on our squad and I can't wait for the season to begin.

Reaction Score
Pumped to start the season. Shabazz is a top 5 all-time husky with a full year to bid on the top spot.

Well this comment is a bit much, but for fun lets build this list, with a couple tiers:

National Championship ALPHA Tier:
1. Kemba - clear Alpha on NC, another FF as freshman, epic tournament record
2. Hamilton - clear Alpha on NC
3. Emeka - Teamed up for NC, defined Husky dominance
4. Gordon - Teamed up for NC

Sub-National Championship ALPHA Tier:
5. Ray - Greatest Non-NC Husky
6. Caron - I struggled with Caron/Donyell. Tournament performance was tie-breaker.
7. Donyell - First big-timer. Welcome to prime-time.
8. Shabazz - Freshman NC, 3 years of leading team in scoring/assists, loyal through tough times.
9. Khalid - Freshman NC, 2 years of leading team in scoring/assists.
10. Alex Oriakhi - Defensive anchor of NC team. Local boy. JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!#
10. Kevin Freeman - This is purely on my love for his game. 100% hustle and heart.

Honorable Mention(no order): Jeff Adrien, Rudy Gay, AJ Price, Hasheem Thabeet, Taliek Brown, Jake Voskhul, Donny Marshall, Cliff Robinson, Chris Smith, Albert Mouring.

I am very surprised myself that I have Shabazz so high, but when I think about it he absolutely belongs. For production, contribution to NC teams, leadership, and heart/clutch, he 100% belongs on this list. Congrats to him.

Reaction Score
I remember the fall before Kemba's junior year, I couldnt understand why people were not talking about him to be an all-american, and he didnt even have the year shabazz had last year. I remember thinking to myself, that Kemba was about as good as anyone out there. and really based upon the returning players only Marcus Smart I would rate above him...and that is more based upon NBA ability, Shabazz, may even have a greater year this year in college.

Reaction Score
I don't know if anyone else did, but I picked up a copy of Lindy's Sports 2013-14 College Basketball Preview. Got to the point guard rankings, expecting to see Shabazz near the top. Here were the rankings:

1. Marcus Smart (OK State)
2. Aaron Craft (Ohio State)
3. Kendall Williams (New Mexico)
4. Jahii Carson (Arizona State)
5. Elfrid Payton (Louisiana)
6. Keith Appling (MSU)
7. Andre Hollins (Minnesota)
8. Kevin Pangos (Gonzaga)
9. Shabazz Napier

Shocked, to say the least. Would expect him to be top 5, even top 3. Can't wait for Shabazz to light it up this season.

Reaction Score
Defense is going to be the question for Shabazz at the next level. He certainly has the quickness and skill to make it in the NBA, it's a question of whether he can be a serviceable defender. I'm definitely not betting against him.

Reaction Score
Lol @ that list. Nice video though, sweet jumpshot

Reaction Score
I don't know if anyone else did, but I picked up a copy of Lindy's Sports 2013-14 College Basketball Preview. Got to the point guard rankings, expecting to see Shabazz near the top. Here were the rankings:

1. Marcus Smart (OK State)
2. Aaron Craft (Ohio State)
3. Kendall Williams (New Mexico)
4. Jahii Carson (Arizona State)
5. Elfrid Payton (Louisiana)
6. Keith Appling (MSU)
7. Andre Hollins (Minnesota)
8. Kevin Pangos (Gonzaga)
9. Shabazz Napier

Shocked, to say the least. Would expect him to be top 5, even top 3. Can't wait for Shabazz to light it up this season.

Appling - 13 ppg, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 42/32/75, 17.6 PER

Bazz - 17 ppg, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, 44/40/82, 23.8 PER

Again, I just don't understand how people who are paid to write about college basketball for a living are this oblivious.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how someone can say Smart is a better point guard than Napier. He may be a better player, but definitely not a better point guard

caw

Reaction Score
Well this comment is a bit much, but for fun lets build this list, with a couple tiers:

6. Caron - I struggled with Caron/Donyell. Tournament performance was tie-breaker.
8. Shabazz - Freshman NC, 3 years of leading team in scoring/assists, loyal through tough times.
10. Alex Oriakhi - Defensive anchor of NC team. Local boy. JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!#
10. Kevin Freeman - This is purely on my love for his game. 100% hustle and heart.

Honorable Mention(no order): Jeff Adrien, Rudy Gay, AJ Price, Hasheem Thabeet, Taliek Brown, Jake Voskhul, Donny Marshall, Cliff Robinson, Chris Smith, Albert Mouring.

I am very surprised myself that I have Shabazz so high, but when I think about it he absolutely belongs. For production, contribution to NC teams, leadership, and heart/clutch, he 100% belongs on this list. Congrats to him.

Khalid won as a sophomore. I'll assume you mean JC recruits.

Reaction Score
Appling - 13 ppg, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 42/32/75, 17.6 PER

Bazz - 17 ppg, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, 44/40/82, 23.8 PER

Again, I just don't understand how people who are paid to write about college basketball for a living are this oblivious.

Forget Appling, Craft is the most overrated PG to play for a team not named Duke...

Sure, the kid can play solid D, but struggles to score, and doesn't distribute particularly well (will be more evident this year when he doesn't have the NBA talent around him)

Reaction Score
Forget Appling, Craft is the most overrated PG to play for a team not named Duke...

Sure, the kid can play solid D, but struggles to score, and doesn't distribute particularly well (will be more evident this year when he doesn't have the NBA talent around him)

I'm a bigger fan of Craft than most people here, but Napier is better for sure.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

No Lamb? We don't beat Zona without him.

Also, KEA was a soph when we won it all.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

At this point, I would move Shabazz down a little pending this year. I would have to place Khalid above him, especially if you are prioritizing NC's. In many ways, Khalid was at least as important as Rip in making that team of championship caliber. Before he came, that group had promise but lacked the confidence and will to be really great. Khalid brought that from day one and carried the team along with him in the confidence department. Shabazz was a minor piece in the 2011 NC team by comparison. He had a great Junior year, but no chance to carry the team to heights in the NCAA's. That is not his fault, but he is in a position to carry this team to a great year. I don't think that he has to get this team to a Final Four to be in the Top Ten, but he would have to be really, really good. It's hard to compare A.J. Price because he lost so much time, but he was the clear team leader on a Final Four team and that might put him a hair ahead of Shabazz at this point. I would love to see Shabazz elevate his game by being more consistent in imposing his will during games and to improve his defense. He will need more rest to do those things and I hope he does not have to log so many minutes. With his foot trouble, managing his minutes should be a priority for KO. In any case, Shabazz is a great Husky regardless, but it should be fun to see him make the Huskies go this year.

Reaction Score
I knew I would have a couple ommissions. And I blew Khalid's NC Year. I guess.

Honorable mentions: Jeremy Lamb, Marcus Williams...

Reaction Score
At this point, I would move Shabazz down a little pending this year. I would have to place Khalid above him, especially if you are prioritizing NC's. In many ways, Khalid was at least as important as Rip in making that team of championship caliber. Before he came, that group had promise but lacked the confidence and will to be really great. Khalid brought that from day one and carried the team along with him in the confidence department. Shabazz was a minor piece in the 2011 NC team by comparison. He had a great Junior year, but no chance to carry the team to heights in the NCAA's. That is not his fault, but he is in a position to carry this team to a great year. I don't think that he has to get this team to a Final Four to be in the Top Ten, but he would have to be really, really good. It's hard to compare A.J. Price because he lost so much time, but he was the clear team leader on a Final Four team and that might put him a hair ahead of Shabazz at this point. I would love to see Shabazz elevate his game by being more consistent in imposing his will during games and to improve his defense. He will need more rest to do those things and I hope he does not have to log so many minutes. With his foot trouble, managing his minutes should be a priority for KO. In any case, Shabazz is a great Husky regardless, but it should be fun to see him make the Huskies go this year.

You make valid points. However I will add that by the tournament, Shabazz was verrrrrry important. And he made about 5-10 plays in the tournament that, without them, we don't make it. He was critical. Remember the reverse insane layup that closed the Kentucky game?

Reaction Score
Shabazz is the kind of guy that I really wish I knew personally. An honorable and confident young man with a good dose of humility. Can't wait to watch him succeed this year!

Reaction Score
The best part about the video is that Bazz and CP are the same height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom