SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11) | Page 15 | The Boneyard

SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I watched some video of Jackson, and he seemed so much more of a spot up shooter. I much prefer to land Gabriel who's a much much better athlete and has potential to be a solid jump shooter, but I don't know if he is slipping out of reach at this point or not. I wonder what the staff will do as far as pressing or taking a commitment this weekend from Jackson. I'm assuming if we land him, that puts us out of the Gabriel sweepstakes. Maybe that's not the case since Gabriel is more of a stretch 4 while Jackson looks like a more prototypical small forward. To land Gabriel, they're going to have to recruit him as a 3. I realize that you UConn sells itself as a positionless system, but I'm sure recruits still tend to think about at what position each program plans to use them. So do you take a bird in the hand in Jackson, over the two in the bush in Gabriel?

This is a tough one. Jackson is still a top 100 recruit who has legit hi major shooting skills and size. It just looks like his athleticism is a little bit underwhelming based on the video that I saw, but doesn't always tell the whole story. But when you watch Gabriel, you see highlight after highlight of him punishing the rim, driving the lane, running the floor, and even passing the ball which he excels at for kid his size. Gabriel has solid form on his jump shot. It's hard to tell if he's just not consistent with it, or if other parts of his game is so strong that he simply doesn't need to rely on taking too many jump shots.

My preference, if the staff feels they have a really good shot at landing Gabriel, is to wait on him and try to defer a Jackson decision till after he takes his Cal visit and Gabriel takes his at UConn. I guess you run the risk of losing both, but Gabriel seems like such a talent that he might be worth holding out for. You can often find some good shooter that might present themselves next spring if they need to fill that role. High-flying long athletes like Gabriel don't come around that often, especially ones that have your program high on their list.
No. Take Vance Jackson all week and twice on Sunday. Terry Larrier and Juwan Durham give us what Gabriel would give us. We need shooting, badly, and Vance gives us that. If he's ready to commit, the staff should not hesitate.

Reaction Score
I watched some video of Jackson, and he seemed so much more of a spot up shooter. I much prefer to land Gabriel who's a much much better athlete and has potential to be a solid jump shooter, but I don't know if he is slipping out of reach at this point or not. I wonder what the staff will do as far as pressing or taking a commitment this weekend from Jackson. I'm assuming if we land him, that puts us out of the Gabriel sweepstakes. Maybe that's not the case since Gabriel is more of a stretch 4 while Jackson looks like a more prototypical small forward. To land Gabriel, they're going to have to recruit him as a 3. I realize that you UConn sells itself as a positionless system, but I'm sure recruits still tend to think about at what position each program plans to use them. So do you take a bird in the hand in Jackson, over the two in the bush in Gabriel?

This is a tough one. Jackson is still a top 100 recruit who has legit hi major shooting skills and size. It just looks like his athleticism is a little bit underwhelming based on the video that I saw, but doesn't always tell the whole story. But when you watch Gabriel, you see highlight after highlight of him punishing the rim, driving the lane, running the floor, and even passing the ball which he excels at for kid his size. Gabriel has solid form on his jump shot. It's hard to tell if he's just not consistent with it, or if other parts of his game is so strong that he simply doesn't need to rely on taking too many jump shots.

My preference, if the staff feels they have a really good shot at landing Gabriel, is to wait on him and try to defer a Jackson decision till after he takes his Cal visit and Gabriel takes his at UConn. I guess you run the risk of losing both, but Gabriel seems like such a talent that he might be worth holding out for. You can often find some good shooter that might present themselves next spring if they need to fill that role. High-flying long athletes like Gabriel don't come around that often, especially ones that have your program high on their list.
Jackson is 50th best recruit in the country and is a big time shooter, you lock him up in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
He's not top 50 in all the rankings, but you can't always just rely on the rankings.
No, but you can rely on the jump shot.

Putting a bunch of athletes on the floor only gets you so far - you need a couple of guys who can open up space from them. Jackson has the skillset to do that, and will mostly likely be a 3-4 year college player.

Guys like Niels Giffey are necessary if you want to win titles, and Jackson sure looks a lot like Niels Giffey. If he wants to commit at any point, KO will say yes no matter how it effects Gabriel's intent.

caw

Reaction Score
He's not top 50 in all the rankings, but you can't always just rely on the rankings. I'm going by the eye test, but again only based on some video, so who knows. I'm just sharing some observations and thoughts. This is a message board for such.

Yep, top 75 is more accurate.

Scout 63
Rivalsa 72
24-7 44
ESPN 49
24-7 composite 51

Reaction Score
I think Gabriel is much less polished than you're giving him credit for, and much less polished than Jackson. And let's not lose perspective, this isn't about holding out for Gabriel or pulling the trigger on a kid who's barely in the top 200. Jackson's a top 50 kid.
Gabriel is a really good prospect but some people are trying to turn him into Garnett. Kid is good but the whole 6'10 shooting guard thing just isn't there, just because Durant and Dirk could pull it off doesn't mean everyone can.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with you but you could argue Gabriel and Larrier overlap moreso than Jackson and Larrier.

The counterpoint would be that with Larrier, Diarra and Durham in the fold, UConn has the option to wait on Gabriel if they want to do so as both Jackson and Gabriel are icing on the cake of a very strong front court recruiting class.

A solid two guard seems a much higher priority if Diallo does not reclassify and (for some reason) does not choose UConn.
When you have 14 scholarships to fill a roster you're going to have some overlap, that's for sure. And it does seem that you can has a lot of talented overlap at a few positions as you have mentioned. I'm a little concerned about Durham's durability. Hopefully he'll be able to get over these any injuries. They do seem to have a need for another shooting guard, but it sure looks like it's Diallo or bust because I don't see them recruiting any other two guards.

One could make an argument that they could use a true center, seven foot plus guy. They have been recruiting that 2017 big from Florida that could reclassify, and they might be on a couple 2016 bigs, but it doesn't seem like that's a priority.

It looks like they have a pretty solid 2016 roster already, so trying to add one or two of the most talented players out there regardless of position might not be a bad idea.

Reaction Score
There were many times last year that UConn could've used a knockdown 3 point shooter to come off the bench. Vance would fit that role better than Gabriel. On the other hand, Gabriel seems to be a more versatile player who's also a better athlete (and likely therefore a better defender).

And, you have to take into account Larrier too. If he can fill DHam's SF position next year, then Gabriel would be more redundant than Jackson would.

In the end, if Vance wants to commit then I'd take him immediately, no waiting. Unlike Gabriel, he may not be an immediate starter for UConn , but he'd give UConn that deadly shooter, which is invaluable at critical times during a game. So sign him!

Reaction Score
Yep, top 75 is more accurate.

Scout 63
Rivalsa 72
24-7 44
ESPN 49
24-7 composite 51
Top 75 is certainly a range where you get a talented player. But you simply can't go by the rankings. They're just not indicative of how good the player will ultimately turn out. But it's a good barometer though. I trust KO's judgement on what's the best decision for his program. I'm just simply sharing my opinions on this. When I got to see Gabriel play a tournament game on TV, I was very impressed and really wanted to land him badly. I think he's going to be a very special player at the college level and possibly at the NBA as well. One of the recruiting gurus posted recently on one of the national recruiting boards that Jackson had a very disappointing summer. Again that's one person's opinion, but something that concerned me. Maybe he was coming off an injury or something. While Gabriel rocketed up the rankings and is highly regarded by just about everybody.

Reaction Score
Gabriel is a really good prospect but some people are trying to turn him into Garnett. Kid is good but the whole 6'10 shooting guard thing just isn't there, just because Durant and Dirk could pull it off doesn't mean everyone can.
I did not make that comparison whatsoever. I simply see him as a very talented recruit that has a lot of upside. What that upside might be, I don't know. I think he's going to be a handful on both ends of the floor and would be an excellent fit for our program.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Top 75 is certainly a range where you get a talented player. But you simply can't go by the rankings. They're just not indicative of how good the player will ultimately turn out. But it's a good barometer though. I trust KO's judgement on what's the best decision for his program. I'm just simply sharing my opinions on this. When I got to see Gabriel play a tournament game on TV, I was very impressed and really wanted to land him badly. I think he's going to be a very special player at the college level and possibly at the NBA as well. One of the recruiting gurus posted recently on one of the national recruiting boards that Jackson had a very disappointing summer. Again that's one person's opinion, but something that concerned me. Maybe he was coming off an injury or something. While Gabriel rocketed up the rankings and is highly regarded by just about everybody.
Of course if we all could choose, 99% would pick Gabriel. But recruiting doesnt work like that. Gabriel is a long shot at this point, IMO, and Vance seems excited about UConn and possibly ready to commit. This is a no brainer.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
a 6'8 kid who can shoot the ball from the start. Take him bc he can always improve on his handle and everything else. Just like daniels. Either one would be great but if jacksons ready to commit, get him. Also ollie has a vision with the type of kids he's bringkng in. stretch the floor, open it up, and run is what it looks like. I can't wait

caw

Reaction Score
The composite ranking is #51, so no, top-75 is not more accurate.

I'm not sure how 24-7 makes their composites. It appears they don't include Rivalsa data, or include another metric I didn't list or they weight the score in some way or there are a bunch of kids who have a much wider range of scores which pushes him up the composite.

His average ranking between the four major services is 57, and two of the services have him decidedly outside the top 50, so yes, I'd say top 75 is much more accurate. Honestly, it doesn't matter as 30-75 are usually all pretty close (maybe even 25-100 in some classes).

Reaction Score
Even if gabriel is better than vance, gabriel may be a 1 or 2 year guy. Vance should be a 4 yr guy.

Reaction Score
Here's what you rely on - UConn flew him across the country and Kevin Ollie is spending a weekend hosting him.

If Vance wants to commit, you take him before he finishes the sentence.
You're probably right Fishy. I'm sure it's hard for a lot of coaches to determine when to pull the trigger on a lesser recruit or when to try to stall things a bit in hopes of landing the more talented one. Granted Jackson and Gabriel are two different types of players, but they probably only have room for one of them at this point. Filling the last two 2016 ships with reclassified 2017 Diallo at the two and Brown for the center position would best round off the 2016 roster, but it seems unsure if either will we classify and choose UConn to that matter.

I might just be under estimating Jacksons value and capabilities. As I said earlier in this thread, I welcome him to the Husky family with open arms and root for his success if we land him this weekend. I guess I'd just rather add Gabriel over him if Gabriel is to be had. It's very likely that the staff feels that Gabriel has slipped out of reach, so Jackson would make a lot more sense at this point and not worth the chance of losing out on both.

Reaction Score
Not trying to start a one and done vs four year player argument. Just saying that 4 yrs of vance may even out the decision. Take whoever commits in a ny minute.

Reaction Score
You're probably right Fishy. I'm sure it's hard for a lot of coaches to determine when to pull the trigger on a lesser recruit or when to try to stall things a bit in hopes of landing the more talented one. Granted Jackson and Gabriel are two different types of players, but they probably only have room for one of them at this point. Filling the last two 2016 ships with reclassified 2017 Diallo at the two and Brown for the center position would best round off the 2016 roster, but it seems unsure if either will we classify and choose UConn to that matter.

I might just be under estimating Jacksons value and capabilities. As I said earlier in this thread, I welcome him to the Husky family with open arms and root for his success if we land him this weekend. I guess I'd just rather add Gabriel over him if Gabriel is to be had. It's very likely that the staff feels that Gabriel has slipped out of reach, so Jackson would make a lot more sense at this point and not worth the chance of losing out on both.

In this case, I am sure its not.

Reaction Score
And for the record, the decision has already been made by the staff. If vance commits he's in.

Reaction Score
Of course if we all could choose, 99% would pick Gabriel. But recruiting doesnt work like that. Gabriel is a long shot at this point, IMO, and Vance seems excited about UConn and possibly ready to commit. This is a no brainer.
One would think that our chances would be very good with a New England recruit who has visited our campus a number of times, but you might be right in that he's exploded so much that he slipped into the hands of the likes of Kentucky, Duke or Maryland. I hate to even think that's the case, but that's what it might be. You have to take into account that Gabriel does have an official visit schedule for early next month at UConn. I don't know if any of us really know how weak or strong our chances are at landing him. Taking Jackson now will probably close that door, and if that happens it's probably because Ollie, Thanks. His chances of landing Gabriel have slept and that Jackson is it good enough talent and fit to take at this point. Like many of us, I have complete trust that all he knows what's best for his program.

Reaction Score
And for the record, the decision has already been made by the staff. If vance commits he's in.
How do you know that? You're probably right. But it wouldn't be the first time that a recruit was on an official visit but UConn has not been ready to accept a commitment, preferring that the recruit continue taking their visits while they wait for another recruit's decision. Programs do this all the time, or they'd end up taking the first ones that have visited and want to commit over the ones that they prefer most. You can't always control the dates of when these recruits visit. We also need to consider that Jackson might want to take his Cal visit and isn't all in on UConn yet, but by the looks of his tweet yesterday it sure seems he is.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. Funny how a few months ago we were all concerned about landing any decent recruits, and now I'm presenting the dilemma of taking a top 75 at the expense of passing on a top 10. Bottom line, it's great to be a UConn fan. And as I've said in the other replies, I'll welcome Jackson in with open arms. I'm sure he's a great kid and would be a solid player for our program.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
How do you know that? You're probably right. But it wouldn't be the first time that a recruit was on an official visit but UConn has not been ready to accept a commitment, preferring that the recruit continue taking their visits while they wait for another recruit's decision. Programs do this all the time, or they'd end up taking the first ones that have visited and want to commit over the ones that they prefer most. You can't always control the dates of when these recruits visit. We also need to consider that Jackson might want to take his Cal visit and isn't all in on UConn yet, but by the looks of his tweet yesterday it sure seems he is.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. Funny how a few months ago we were all concerned about landing any decent recruits, and now I'm presenting the dilemma of taking a top 75 at the expense of passing on a top 10. Bottom line, it's great to be a UConn fan. And as I've said in the other replies, I'll welcome Jackson in with open arms. I'm sure he's a great kid and would be a solid player for our program.
Why are you so into this argument?

Reaction Score
I'm greedy and want both. I assume Hamilton goes and Purvis has as much as said he is gone. What if Brimah leaves.
1. We absolutely need a 3 point sniper to receive from our breakdown penetrators, and to deter teams from packing the paint. Jackson fills that bill, likely solidifies that role for 4 years, and plays intelligently. We should want him ASAP
2. Gabriel is an elite player just as you say, and after Gilbert, is the player I have wanted the most. He takes the team over the top. Why not take him at his word that he doesn't care who else is coming in at his position. He will play and so will Diarra and Durham.

8 players to cover 3 positions isn't outrageous, Brimah might be gone, Facey has capabilities but may become depth rather than rotation, and there are always in season injuries that put players on the bench for a few games. 120 minutes means they all can have double digit minutes and anybody that deserves 20 to 25 or more can earn it.

Brimah
Facey
Enoch
Diarra
Durham
Gabriel
Larrier
Jackson

These 2 guys and a quality shooting guard. (would have loved Myles Powell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom