Seth Greenburg Akok & Bouk comparisons | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Seth Greenburg Akok & Bouk comparisons

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I'm not saying there are no similarities, but people really see Rip's game, over anyone else, in Bouk? I mean... he's not that similar of a player, IMO, with the exception of being a good 2G.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reading this thread and I'm wondering if some posters actually watched Jeremy Lamb play basketball at UConn or how he plays in the NBA now...

So what are you implying here? That he is similar or isn't? That Lamb was better or worse? I certainly watched UConn long before Lamb got here.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying there are no similarities, but people really see Rip's game, over anyone else, in Bouk? I mean... he's not that similar of a player, IMO, with the exception of being a good 2G.

He looks similar with the uniform kinda hanging off his frame and has a similar hesi-dribble.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Also, I understand the "Curry" style shot is making it's rounds, I'm not convinced that's the "better" way to shoot than Ray, I just think a lot of young players have started to emulate that style. Ray's is a pretty traditional jump shot, it's not like he flies to the ceiling on his catch and shoots. Curry and Harden have made it normal to shoot with a lower motion and release.

As far as Bouk, I think he has a good understanding of when he needs to elevate and when he doesn't, as most good scorers and shooters do. I'm not seeing some major need to change his form.

Reaction Score

The similarities are in the instincts of when and how he can get a shot off. You rarely saw Rip get his shot blocked -- he just seemed to know when he had space, or when the defender was off balance. Bouknight seems to have that same mature offensive game, with a bit more explosiveness.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
The similarities are in the instincts of when and how he can get a shot off. You rarely saw Rip get his shot blocked -- he just seemed to know when he had space, or when the defender was off balance. Bouknight seems to have that same mature offensive game, with a bit more explosiveness.

Yes, I guess to clarify, there are tons of similarities in their assets as players, I just don't think they play similar, if that makes sense.

I find the Rays, Lambs, Gordons to be more apt comparisons, as far as playing STYLE ... he doesn't play like Rip did. but definitely want to clarify I agree his instincts, his ability to navigate in tight spaces, etc. is all stuff a good 2G needs to have, and they both do.

Reaction Score
Yes, I guess to clarify, there are tons of similarities in their assets as players, I just don't think they play similar, if that makes sense.

I find the Rays, Lambs, Gordons to be more apt comparisons, as far as playing STYLE ... he doesn't play like Rip did. but definitely want to clarify I agree his instincts, his ability to navigate in tight spaces, etc. is all stuff a good 2G needs to have, and they both do.

Yeah, nobody really plays like Rip. He had a very unique style. In the NBA, I can't think of one person that has Rip's type of game now, and even if they did, I'm not sure if they would be allowed to shoot that many mid-range jumpshots and leaners in the lane like Rip did.

pj

Reaction Score
Rip was very influenced by Reggie Miller and his non-stop running to get open and wear opponents down, and ended up with a very similar career, Richard Hamilton vs. Reggie Miller Comparison and this NY Times piece: It's Alive! In Hamilton, Miller Sees His Monster

Bouknight is stronger than Rip and doesn't rely on running; but like Rip, he can score on 3 levels and has a mid-range game that few players show these days. I'm not sure who the best comp is, I like Bouknight's game better than Lamb's. I think Rip is a good comp, and Bouknight will have an NBA career like Rip's.

Reaction Score
Bouknight may very well be the best freshman we have had, period. His combination of basketball IQ, athleticism, composure, and ability to score from all over the floor sets him apart from the others. He does more things well than any other UConn freshmen I can remember. He was the best player on the floor in Charleston, and those were his first three college games.
O.K. people I think we need to calm down. The kid has played 55 minutes of college basketball. UConn has had a bunch of All Americans who were excellent freshmen. Bouknight has looked great so far. But let's calm down before turning him into Michael Jordan already.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm going to go with Caron here, but he was an unconventional freshman. You could make a good case for Khalid El Amin. Ray was very good as was Earl Kelley on a weaker team. Guys like Rudy and Donyell a step below that.

Bouknight is way more efficient than KEA. KEA was as much moxie and attitude as he was efficiency.

Reaction Score
O.K. people I think we need to calm down. The kid has played 55 minutes of college basketball. UConn has had a bunch of All Americans who were excellent freshman. Bouknight has looked great so far. But let's calm down before turning him into Michael Jordan already.

I think it's been so long since we had a great freshman that people have forgotten how good some of them were . . .

I also think that people like how he plays just as much as how well he plays. Daniel Hamilton was damn good as a freshman. But he was a ball-stopping black hole on a team that struggled offensively.

Reaction Score
A lot of our highest ranked recruits were a little bit underwhelming (compared to their talent level) their freshmen year because Calhoun is such a difficult coach to adjust to. Having a coach that pulls you after one mistake is difficult for anyone to deal with, not to mention a freshman. Plus, some of those teams were so talented that there just weren't as many opportunities for the big time recruits in year 1. Drummond, Villlanueva, Rudy Gay, Taliek.. even Kemba come to mind. AJ Price was out his freshman year. Caron was very good but he was an older player. Guys with extreme confidence and natural poise like Ben Gordon and Emeka were two of our best freshmen because they could never get rattled by Calhoun getting on them. Ray obviously as well.
So if Bouknight averages in the teens for points, shoots a good percentage and helps us win a lot of games he could definitely be one of our best freshmen in a long time.

pj

Reaction Score
I think it's been so long since we had a great freshman that people have forgotten how good some of them were . . .

I also think that people like how he plays just as much as how well he plays. Daniel Hamilton was damn good as a freshman. But he was a ball-stopping black hole on a team that struggled offensively.

Great point about the "how." He's great but he also fits in a team and makes his teammates better.

We'll see how Bouk plays against top athletic competition and what happens when he's the focus of the defense. He has a lot of work and development in front of him. Right now he's just getting his feet wet. But I think we can see he's going to develop into something great.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Bouknight may very well be the best freshman we have had, period. His combination of basketball IQ, athleticism, composure, and ability to score from all over the floor sets him apart from the others. He does more things well than any other UConn freshman I can remember. He was the best player on the floor in Charleston, and those were his first three college games.
I'm going to go with Caron here, but he was an unconventional freshman. You could make a good case for Khalid El Amin. Ray was very good as was Earl Kelley on a weaker team. Guys like Rudy and Donyell a step below that.

It was definitely Nadav Henefeld, but I get he was a few years older.

Reaction Score
Bouknight is way more efficient than KEA. KEA was as much moxie and attitude as he was efficiency.

A lot of that is due to being the primary ball handler and point guard. Bouknight isn't being forced to carry the offensive load (yet), so he's simply taking better shots. El-Amin wasn't as inefficient as you remember. His career effective FG% was 48.6% (over 50% as a freshman). For comparison, Kemba Walker's was 47.5% (49% as a freshman).

Reaction Score
Great point about the "how." He's great but he also fits in a team and makes his teammates better.

We'll see how Bouk plays against top athletic competition and what happens when he's the focus of the defense. He has a lot of work and development in front of him. Right now he's just getting his feet wet. But I think we can see he's going to develop into something great.

To use the cliche, his ceiling is incredibly high . . .

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It was definitely Nadav Henefeld, but I get he was a few years older.

He and Caron were both older and probably have the best stat lines. It's close between them.
Caron averaged about 4 more points, and two more boards. Henefeld had that insane 3.7 steals per game, but Caron was a strong 2.2. Assists are even.

Reaction Score
O.K. people I think we need to calm down. The kid has played 55 minutes of college basketball. UConn has had a bunch of All Americans who were excellent freshman. Bouknight has looked great so far. But let's calm down before turning him into Michael Jordan already.

Show me one freshman who has looked better thru his first three games, please.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I see some Ray, some Rip and some Larry Bird. The kid is sensational.
Hmm, I like the Bird comparison in terms of BBIQ and ability to make shots/plays that other guys shouldn't bother taking.

I don't see the Rip and Ray comparisons as much as others do and only see Lamb in terms of fluidity. Bouk is a unique kid with his own style. He definitely makes the game look easy.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Show me one freshman who has looked better thru his first three games, please.

Loving what I'm seeing from Bouk, but it's also a product of not playing with as a strong of teammates as a number of our other great guys have done. If you have talent, and you have to do more, you will.

Reaction Score
Loving what I'm seeing from Bouk, but it's also a product of not playing with as a strong of teammates as a number of our other great guys have done. If you have talent, and you have to do more, you will.
I was thinking that also. This team needs scoring. Bouknight provided it. He may not have gotten this chance as a freshman on many strong UConn teams.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
put me in the 'rip comes to mind category' for now. and how cool is it to have a consistent baseline j shooter on the team? those people are special. soft touch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom