Seth Davis's UConn write up | The Boneyard

Seth Davis's UConn write up

Reaction Score
Hurley’s nine-man rotation will get deeper in late December when 6-10 sophomore forward Samson Johnson is scheduled to return from a stress reaction in his right foot that he suffered in the season opener.

is this breaking news? i don't remember hearing about a "scheduled" samson johnson return and i thought the team was keeping the nature of his foot injury private.

regardless, good article! hurley is a mad man, but we already knew that.

Reaction Score
Yet this clown still has us at #7 in his AP Poll rankings for this upcoming week. He's a bum
I would suggest calming down. It's the first week of December and someone thinks that out of 350 some odd teams we're what -- 3 or 4 places different than you do? I hope for your sake that's false outrage.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would suggest calming down. It's the first week of December and someone thinks that out of 350 some odd teams we're what -- 3 or 4 spaces different than you do? I hope for your sake that's false outrage.
In fairness, his top 25s are clearly somewhere between legit exercise and professional trolling to a) stand out from the crowd, and b) drive engagement because of controversy. These reactions are exactly what Davis is going for.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yet this clown still has us at #7 in his AP Poll rankings for this upcoming week. He's a bum
Up from 12 last week when I said he was an embarassment, though. He's says it's about SOS.

Reaction Score
I couldn't read it but found this:

"5. UConn: Jordan Hawkins is the best shooter that the Huskies have had since Ben Gordon and Rashad Anderson."

1670249663613.png

Reaction Score
No, it's real outrage. There is zero excuse to not have this team ranked in the top 5. They've earned it.
Fine differences in the rankings are truly meaningless this early in the season. Can I see being upset if someone has us at 15? Sure, if you want to follow the rankings of individuals. But the difference between 7 and 5 at this point in the season is so unbelievably fine that I truly don't understand how someone can be outraged or upset because someone disagrees with you by 2 spots. That is giving the rankings far, far, far more respect than they deserve. Not Seth Davis's rankings -- anyones. Not everyone is going to have or has to have the exactly same opinion.

Reaction Score
"Only once in Hurley’s six years there did the Rams win fewer games than the year before, and that was because their best player suffered a season-ending knee injury in the preseason. Hurley has reprised that pattern at UConn. The Huskies went from winning 19 games to 15 in 2020-21 after they moved from the AAC to the Big East, but they went 23-10 last season and earned a No. 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament, the highest since their national championship season in 2011."

Odd to act like we had a worse season in 2021 because we didn't win as many games... that was the COVID shortened season! We won 61% of games in 2020 and increased that to 65% of games in 2021.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
"Only once in Hurley’s six years there did the Rams win fewer games than the year before, and that was because their best player suffered a season-ending knee injury in the preseason. Hurley has reprised that pattern at UConn. The Huskies went from winning 19 games to 15 in 2020-21 after they moved from the AAC to the Big East, but they went 23-10 last season and earned a No. 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament, the highest since their national championship season in 2011."

Odd to act like we had a worse season in 2021 because we didn't win as many games... that was the COVID shortened season! We won 61% of games in 2020 and increased that to 65% of games in 2021.
I would guess that’s journalistic laziness more than intentional slight.

Reaction Score
Fine differences in the rankings are truly meaningless this early in the season. Can I see being upset if someone has us at 15? Sure, if you want to follow the rankings of individuals. But the difference between 7 and 5 at this point in the season is so unbelievably fine that I truly don't understand how someone can be outraged or upset because someone disagrees with you by 2 spots. That is giving the rankings far, far, far more respect than they deserve. Not Seth Davis's rankings -- anyones. Not everyone is going to have or has to have the exactly same opinion.
Sounds to me like you want @aburks41 to have the same opinion on the matter as you.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In fairness, his top 25s are clearly somewhere between legit exercise and professional trolling to a) stand out from the crowd, and b) drive engagement because of controversy. These reactions are exactly what Davis is going for.
Yes, he likes to rile up a fanbase and get the clicks. He knows our fans will take the bait. This week is fine, we made a big jump. Last week he was either irrationally wedded to preseason rankings that look like crap or he was trolling us. I think too many of these people treat the preseason rankings like they are worth something.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Being early in the season and Seth Davis giving UConn an outlying low ranking for no rational reason are not necessarily mutually exclusive. On the other hand I don't think this is the slight you think it is.

Last week was just insulting. Nobody who watched games could say that there were 11 better teams.

I'm looking at jumping UConn 5 spots from last week's outlying ranking as a market correction of sorts, especially after UConn playing only one game. Provided they beat Florida, it will correct again.

Reaction Score
Last week was just insulting. Nobody who watched games could say that there were 11 better teams.
Agreed and when you look at the current top 10's resumes, no one has a better one than us.

Reaction Score
Sounds to me like you want @aburks41 to have the same opinion on the matter as you.
Logic much? I don't even have an opinion on where we should be ranked at the moment. Would take way too much time for no apparent purpose. As to whether it's sane to verbally attack someone, as opposed to disagreeing, over a few spots in an arbitrary ranking system? Or whether people deserve to be attacked for insignificant differences in how they would rank a teeam? Damn right.

Reaction Score
Logic much? I don't even have an opinion on where we should be ranked at the moment. Would take way too much time for no apparent purpose. As to whether it's sane to verbally attack someone, as opposed to disagreeing, over a few spots in an arbitrary ranking system? Or whether people deserve to be attacked for insignificant differences in how they would rank a teeam? Damn right.
Rankings matter for national exposure and recruiting.

Reaction Score
Rankings matter for national exposure and recruiting.
Matter? Yes. One person's ranking in early December being two spots off what you think? You can't be serious. Recruit: "UConn has a high AP ranking, and its computer rankings are through the roof, and if Seth Davis had us in his top 5 this week I'd be interested, but if he has UConn at 7 I'm not interested."

Yes, that's a reasonable scenario to worry about.

Reaction Score
Yes, he likes to rile up a fanbase and get the clicks. He knows our fans will take the bait. This week is fine, we made a big jump. Last week he was either irrationally wedded to preseason rankings that look like crap or he was trolling us. I think too many of these people treat the preseason rankings like they are worth something.
Just look at how he tweets about how he is always correct and such he trolls

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would suggest calming down. It's the first week of December and someone thinks that out of 350 some odd teams we're what -- 3 or 4 places different than you do? I hope for your sake that's false outrage.
Calming down? Really? It’s like you don’t know us at all anymore.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom