Separate Super League thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Separate Super League thread

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone that matters is really going for this because there is no reason to break up all the benefits that P2 currently have.

That said, the exercise of sizing a super league is an interesting parlor room discussion that will roll on and on for years to come.
Agreed. As one who supports a school who got in at the one and only time luckily, I detest it. Not because the P2 should get everything, but it should be for all who want a shot. The European football leagues tried it, and even the big six of the English Oremier League who would have “benefited” from it vehemently protested. It is a grotesque show of greed that needs to be shut down when it comes up.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If this ever came to be, would some current schools.not be able to afford it and have to not be apart of it? Or is there revenue sharing like the pro leagues? I can't fathom the P2 or high end programs wanting to share their money equally so it begs the question, can 80 programs even afford to pay all their players, etc.

Reaction Score
This guy's a forking assclown with his "best of the G5" bs. I'd say UConn and USF need to be included if they want to get to 80

Considering this WOULD be the basketball model as well a responsible list doesn't disinclude UConn... BUT IT JUST MIGHT. Keep this in mind basketball fans.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone that matters is really going for this because there is no reason to break up all the benefits that P2 currently have.

That said, the exercise of sizing a super league is an interesting parlor room discussion that will roll on and on for years to come.
Ultimately this is the truth. This is a proposal for the P4/5 also rans, not for the P2 mainstays.

Reaction Score
I don't see a super league happening. Even if it were only the top brands of the B1G and SEC as part of it, it doesn't work. You have to have teams in your league that take the losses every year to help build up the records of the big brands. If Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon, Alabama, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, etc. were in a separate league, someone has to go 3-9, 4 -8, etc. every year.

Having a huge super-conference that basically has the original B1G, SEC, PAC, SWC, ACC and Big East together, how does that work? How does that give more money to Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Michigan, etc.? It doesn't. It gives them less money to the benefit of Syracuse, Wake Forest, etc. Makes no sense.

The solution is somewhere in the middle, which is what we have now ---- 2 super conferences, then 1-2 conferences below them, then 5 conferences below that. It's a blend of consolidated big brands making lots of money, along with having a schedule where the big brands can still beat their chests with regular seasons of 9+ wins each year.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Ha - yep. The super league will be formed over a three day weekend when the right forces collide. Those forces being true labor chaos which may never come about....hard to say for sure right now.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
I just don't see any separation happening, so many questions to ask and settle

how would the 8th division work, like are they still involved with the ncaa? are we leaving out Boston College? among other questions I might have.

Reaction Score
This is not gonna happen. In no universe would the P2 willingly agree to even any sort of playing field. This is a Hail Mary.

Reaction Score
Once the 7 conferences split they will start fighting about which conference deserves more money. Yada yada yada.

Reaction Score
Once the 7 conferences split they will start fighting about which conference deserves more money. Yada yada yada

Reaction Score
This is not gonna happen. In no universe would the P2 willingly agree to even any sort of playing field. This is a Hail Mary.

It's not even a Hail Mary, it's: I've got access to the internet, an ex-twitter account, and time on my hands. Let me make something up.

Reaction Score
I’ve got an idea. Print out “QR” patterns next to each player’s name on the roster and on their jersey instead of conference patches. Zoom in with camera and click. Takes you straight to their account. Good plays can be rewarded. Maybe not a genius idea since fumbled and interceptions can be also.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
I’ve got an idea. Print out “QR” patterns next to each player’s name on the roster and on their jersey instead of conference patches. Zoom in with camera and click. Takes you straight to their account. Good plays can be rewarded. Maybe not a genius idea since fumbled and interceptions can be also.
Gadzooks, that's brilliant!! You fumble, you lose money, unsportsmanlike penalty, lose money, make play that gets us into a power conference, cha-ching!

Reaction Score
College football 'super league' proposal has merit but significant obstacles remain if restructuring sport

With college sports strapped to a rocket heading toward an uncertain future, the 20 people involved in the venture dubbed "College Sports Tomorrow" are girding for what seems to be a showdown against a future trying to be created by the Big Ten and SEC.

At its core, a "super league" would cause a de facto alteration of the Big Ten and SEC (among others) dividing the game at the top into 10, seven-team leagues. It would require the Big Ten and SEC's powerful commissioners -- Tony Petitti and Greg Sankey, respectively -- to at least consider relinquishing some of their power if college football was to be overseen by an overarching commissioner and a board of directors.

That's a deal breaker before the first meeting.

Unsurprisingly, the Big Ten and SEC have yet to take a meeting with CST.

When hearing of the "super league" proposal, one TV executive had a wry observation: The schools of two of the leaders involved in this endeavor -- West Virginia (Gee) and Syracuse (chancellor Kent Syverud) -- might be left out.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm curious as to how Toledo made that guy's list.

There is no way a number of P-2 schools will agree to have thier football programs removed from P-2 status just to allow a number of run of the mill B-12, ACC and some pretty good G-5 schools rub elbows with them.

Reaction Score
I'm curious as to how Toledo made that guy's list.

UConn doesn't even make the Underwear league, that's how ridiculous that chart is.
No matter, nothing about conference "realignment" makes any sense.
He just took conference championship game participants not already in the other lists, with UTSA replacing SMU.

In theory under this proposal UConn would've been in one of the 8 conferences of 7 for those below the super league.

70 - permanent members
2 - from league 8 that stayed up
64 - "under" league teams, 8 of which play in the super league

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
This is how I think it goes but 80 feels absurdly high. Why would the 30 value programs subsidize 50 second tier? I can’t count on much but Greed sure feels universal. It’s going to wind up 64 or 48 I think. A true B league. I think they’ll need to get tight enough they keep the money right and bargain as a unit with players like the NFL does. I think the NFL model of collective bargaining to prevent antitrust and seal out the have nots. But I am a pessimist.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom