Sense of entitelement.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sense of entitelement....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
"Herbst do not see remaining in a weakened Big East as a viable option" http://www.theuconnblog.com/2011/9/20/2438673/conference-realignment-uconn-acc-big-east-meeting

Plus, we she went out of her way to stay she nor your AD was attending the Big East meeting in NYC right after SU and Pitt announced they were leaving it seemed like she was trying to show the ACC something with that IMO. I am not saying she doesn't have UConn's best interests in her mind, but some she should not be letting anything get out to the press unless its like when someone in the SU AD's office leaked the news to they were leaving to Thamel.

Quotes from other people and media outlets do not count as quotes from President Herbst. She's never publically said "we want to go to the ACC." In fact, no one directly associated with the school has publically said anything other than UConn is desirable and we have a lot to offer. Our options are being left open.

Reaction Score
Again, please find me an quote that has President Herbst publicly stating anything that resembles begging.
What you call reaching out I call begging. I understand UConn fans being sensitive about it as you should since your future is at stake, but when Herbst reached out to Fr. Leahy I believe she was informally begging by trying to mend a fence. If she knew Fr. Leahy was blocking UConn unless she was came in their and lobbied him she was trying to acquiesce and stroke his ego. If you guys don't like my words fine, but my point is Herbst should be doing this stuff incognito like Rutgers has to be doing, and not in the press.

Reaction Score
"Herbst do not see remaining in a weakened Big East as a viable option" http://www.theuconnblog.com/2011/9/20/2438673/conference-realignment-uconn-acc-big-east-meeting

Plus, we she went out of her way to stay she nor your AD was attending the Big East meeting in NYC right after SU and Pitt announced they were leaving it seemed like she was trying to show the ACC something with that IMO. I am not saying she doesn't have UConn's best interests in her mind, but some she should not be letting anything get out to the press unless its like when someone in the SU AD's office leaked the news to they were leaving to Thamel.

the link you provided doesn't mention the "quote" you wrote. try again. at least if you're going to make up a quote, don't make it so easy to discredit.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What you call reaching out I call begging. I understand UConn fans being sensitive about it as you should since your future is at stake, but when Herbst reached out to Fr. Leahy I believe she was informally begging by trying to mend a fence. If she knew Fr. Leahy was blocking UConn unless she was came in their and lobbied him she was trying to acquiesce and stroke his ego. If you guys don't like my words fine, but my point is Herbst should be doing this stuff incognito like Rutgers has to be doing, and not in the press.

Nobody is being sensitive about anything.

When you come here with a misrepresentation of facts, people are going to call you out on it.

Reaction Score
When it comes to TV revenue, FB counts much more than BB and making the ACC a 16 or more team league does not change that equation radically. The number of viewers for college FB regular season games has to be significantly higher than BB or else it would not be driving the expansion bus. While college BB dominates March, it must not be nearly as dominant in the regular season. And the TV revenue for BB is diluted among many more conferences, teams and games than FB. The image of BB can not improve significantly above where it is today. The importance and success of the NCAA tourny will not change. A team like last year's Uconn team that can overcome a mediocre regular season to win everything, or a Butler/George Mason run will always be a good story but can not drive the regular season revenue up within any given conference. But FB, since it does not have a wide open tourny for a champion, is very dependent on what are one to three essentially a win or your out of the picture events every week of the season that draws viewers.

Honest question - who watched OSU-Nebraska Saturday night? I did. No rooting interest but what a compelling game with a must win aspect for Nebraska. Would I watch a MI State/Illinois game in the regular BB season? Maybe (because I watch too much sports) but the compelling nature of that game in the regular season is not there. The drama and emotion is missing. And is they were both good, they would be in the field in March. Maybe I am too simplistic, but I bet that the people making the decisions understand they eyeballs and revenue equations very well.

No one disputes football drives the cart. But to dismiss basketball? Come'on!

The comparison to OSU-Nebraska would be whether you would watch two teams ranked in the top 15 from the second best conference.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

You're saying she's out publically begging. Her meeting with Leahy WAS incognito! She didn't come out to the press and say "I'm going to meet with Fr. Leahy to discuss our interest in the ACC and BCU's block." Just because the media picks up something doesn't mean the school is out there PUBLICALLY begging. It was done in silence- until the media got wind.

Reaction Score
If she had kept quite like Rutgers this board would be slamming her for doing nothing. Asleep at the switch when all was burning around us. Going directly to the source of the block was the right thing to do, take it on head to head, she's new to the party.
The most disturbing part of all of this is how Flipper could go public with his statements...there is nothing for him nor BC to gain given they already forged a block of other schools to agree with them. This will come back to bite him in the arse before too long.
I too agree that UC will be in the ACC eventually, our brand is national and although FB is driving the bus, BB does indeed count. Unlike some others, I actually will watch non BE BB games during the winter, the economics might not be as lucrative but their are still a lot of Northeastern households tuned in.

Reaction Score

The comparison to OSU-Nebraska would be whether you would watch two teams ranked in the top 15 from the second best conference.
What % does it contribute? 15%? 25%. It can't be much more than that. Bottom line is that college football on a week to week basis produces more significant games that draw viewers from outside the teams/conferences core markets than BB. The season is shorter, the implications of a loss far more significant and the appeal to the average fan is far greater.

Reaction Score
How should Syracuse and Pitt leave? They were contacted and the BOT met and decided the ACC was the better option.
I believe the great majority on this board, and across the BE don't fault SyraPitt for jumping. Every other school would have done the exact same thing if offered. We (or I) are/am frustrated that UConn is in a precarious situation. Most are comfortable UConn will land in a decent spot when all is said and done. (jut may take longer than we wish). As an aside, all are put off (although no one really surprised) by DeFillipo's quotes yesterday. Call it turf, call it "business", it just irks (to put it mildly) all UConn fans to no end. BC can not beat UConn on the court/field, stopped playing us in FB once we got up to a competitive FBS level, but they will do everything in their power to block us from achieving our full potential so they can own New England (never mind the fact they had decades to own New England with no competition, and they still couldn't). It will make it that much sweeter when the ACC does invite UConn after the likes of FSU and maybe one other current team leaves for the SEC, and ND ends up in the Big 10.

Reaction Score

It can not be more than 15% to 20% of the total package. Otherwise, people would be banging on Uconn's door daily. And the question of the incremental increase that any single team brings to the package would need to be weighed within that equation. So if Uconn brings 125% increase to their fair share of the BB revenue they would need to bring a minimum of a 95% of their fair share of FB revenue for a conference to break even. Conversely, if a school can bring 105% of their fair share of FB revenue, the break even fair share of BB revenue is 80%. So BB's impact is very small no matter how you slice it.

Reaction Score
It ain't over.

Seems many are very harsh towards Herbst when we are in about the 3rd inning. This can play in a lot of ways. Let me remind you: I think Cuse got the first call cause of how eager they wanted the ACC back in 2004. It ain't about their market in CNY ... and none of us buy the stupid contention that you have NYC.

Reaction Score
What % does it contribute? 15%? 25%. It can't be much more than that. Bottom line is that college football on a week to week basis produces more significant games that draw viewers from outside the teams/conferences core markets than BB. The season is shorter, the implications of a loss far more significant and the appeal to the average fan is far greater.

You can't look at it as an aggregate right now, especially when the NCAA takes a huge cut of basketball to run ALL OTHER sports playoffs and championships. The NCAA tourney pulls in $800 million a year, but only $400 million is returned to the conferences (most of it to the big conferences).

If you reorganized college sports, as the superconference model clearly intends, then football would be forced to contribute to the organization of playoffs and championships. At that point, the dollar value of basektball would increase at the expense of football. So, even if it's 15% now, it doesn't mean it won't be higher in the future, ESPECIALLY if you're the ACC and you've got the market by the balls. The ACC with UConn in it would dominate college basketball much more than the SEC dominates football. The dollar value of that monopoly would be considerable. It might even rival weakly sickly ACC football.

Reaction Score
Actually... in the ACC's best interest, BC should be asked to leave to make room for UConn. Now wouldn't that be poetic justice.

We have a better all round athletic department and we don't harbor potential child molesters.

Reaction Score
And possibly the world's worst speller. . . . might want to F7 at least the thread title next time, hoss.

And love the 'sense of entitlement' argument. Numerous national/conference titles athletic program-wide plus $145M investment in football facilities equal a well-earned and deserved spot somewhere at the BCS table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom