Seattle Trades Melbourne to Mystics: Done deal For Nika? (Merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Seattle Trades Melbourne to Mystics: Done deal For Nika? (Merged)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When they signed Vivians at the end of March, they knew that they had the 14th pick but they did not know that Nika would be there at 14.

I think the numbers would have worked with the Vivians signing if they kept Melbourne instead of Nika. So (assuming that someone in the organization was crunching the numbers) the assumption at the time of the Vivians signing probably was that the 14th pick wasn't going to make the team ahead of Melbourne. That faulty assumption doesn't really hurt Seattle, but it does hurt Vivians.

At least that's my read of it. The next 24 hours or so will tell.
While the Storm did not know that Nika would be available at 14, they certainly knew they had the 14th pick (their 1st pick in the draft) and that a pretty good player would be available at 14. So there was always a chance that Vivians, Holmes or another veteran might not make the team, and Nika definitely hasn’t made it easy for the Storm, who will have to make a tough decision in the next few days.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The good news is that next year there will be an expansion team in San Francisco, and the following year Toronto joins the league. I'm not sure how they do the expansion draft, but Paige could end up being the iconic face of the Golden Staten franchise. So in two years there will be 22-24 more places for the college kids to land.

Reaction Score
I agree. It must be a stressful time, especially for an international player who has no local support network. Nika says she goes home and studies tape. But what is home for her now? A lonely apartment? I’m sure the other players try to welcome the new players. But there’s bound to be limits to how close they can get before it’s clear who’s made the team.
Nika's made the team and will not be living in a "lonely apartment", not with how her genuine personality has captured the hearts of Seattle fans old and new. To me Nika's popularity is almost akin (although admittedly on a smaller scale) to that other drafted player who some consider the savior of women's b-ball but whose name escapes me as the moment.

Reaction Score
From the Seattle Times Article Storm solve backup point guard dilemma by making trade with Mystics :

"Muhl is set to earn $67,249 this year and assuming she stays, that leaves the Storm $209,713 to fill out its roster and divvy between the four remaining players in camp.

Free agent signees Victoria Vivians and Joyner Holmes are slotted to earn $76,535 veteran minimum contracts while center Dulcy Fankam Mendjiadeu is on the second year of a non-guaranteed rookie deal that pays her $66,597 and free agent guard Kiana Williams would make $64,154.

Seemingly, the Storm will have to decide between Vivians and Holmes."
I think you pretty much boiled it down correctly as a decision between Vivians and Holmes. Dulcy and Kiana are in whether they are the better player or not, due to their lower salary, and if you keep Nika, one of the slightly higher salaries has to go, and that is Vivians or Holmes. The trade may have partly been because they decided to keep Nika and Kiana.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Is the gap $17 or $75,000?
Depends on whether the Storm keep 11 or 12 players, and which players they keep. As of right now, the Storm have 12 players on their roster. They currently exceed the total salary cap by approximately $70k. Assuming the Storm get down to 11 players as everyone expects, and they keep Nika on the roster, they need to cut a player that makes approximately $2000 more than Nika. Leaving out protected players who are under contract, that leaves Viviens or Holmes, and perhaps Horston as well.

Now if I’m the Storm GM, regardless of whom I’m releasing, I’m going to try to get something for them first: a future draft choice, a box of chocolates, whatever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It popped up on facebook that she had signed her contract then after above post it went away - so may be premature

Reaction Score
From Nika's Facebook.
Nika Muhl.jpg

Last edited:

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
As pointed out in another thread, this roster lists 12 players whose total salaries exceed the cap. Therefore, one of the 12 is still on the chopping block.
Oldude, where are you seeing that the Storm salaries are exceeding the cap? When I Google search, herhoopsstats.com shows the Storm under the cap.

Is there a definitive site that shows a team's salary structure? Please advise.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
Oldude, where are you seeing that the Storm salaries are exceeding the cap? When I Google search, herhoopsstats.com shows the Storm under the cap.

I just opened your site, thanks. It currently only has 9 players in the cap number not counting draft picks and training camp invites.

When these are added it goes over.
I do think this will still now work out for Nika.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Per packwrap, when you add up the remaining 12 player salaries for the Storm’s roster the total comes to $1,530,436, vs the WNBA salary cap of $1,463,200.

Reaction Score

Put a calculator to those numbers within that link’s spreadsheet. Melbourne is gone, so no need to include her salary. Please somebody else check the math.

Do the 12 players left have a total salary of $1,530,436?

It is my understanding that come Tuesday, the total, with a minimum of eleven players must not exceed $1,463,200.

That means that right now, with the twelve players listed, the team is over the cap limit by $67,236.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
Now if I’m the Storm GM, regardless of whom I’m releasing, I’m going to try to get something for them first: a future draft choice, a box of chocolates, whatever.
A box of chocolates, $17 and a 2032 swap of 2nd round pick.

Reaction Score
The good news is that next year there will be an expansion team in San Francisco, and the following year Toronto joins the league. I'm not sure how they do the expansion draft, but Paige could end up being the iconic face of the Golden Staten franchise. So in two years there will be 22-24 more places for the college kids to land.
If Paige uses all of her eligibility she may have to start putting "Eh?" at the end of her sentences.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny

Top Bottom