Season Tickets | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Season Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dan, l appreciate that you seem to live for this board and you're entitled to your opinion. As am l. You're an as*.

The minute you have a realistic grasp on marketing a struggling program in difficult times, l will kiss it.

There is zero wrong with a promo intended to put butts in the seats for a Thu night game against a clearly weak opponent. ZERO.

Reaction Score
As I've said before I appreciate non-alum fans but they don't think about this the way alums do. I can't turn off that I'm a UConn grad. And I won't. He just wants entertaining sports. If the school burnt down and we won a NC he'd be fine with that.

Reaction Score
If it sells 50 more season tickets that's 50 more likely UConn fans and 50 less sold to Maryland, Mich, Rutty etc. That's fine with me.

Reaction Score
Let me get this straight, you are on this board incessantly pontificating as if you live and breath UCONN football, and yet you don't support the program by purchasing tickets and it sounds like you might not even make the games this season. And you do this to make a point to Warde Manuel?

Dan, honestly, given the amount of time you spend on this board for a football program you don't support you should really find something else to do. It would give some of the rest of us a break too, because, honestly man...it gets really old, really fast.

Agree 1000%...Childish ignorant whah, whah, whah at best. I hate to slander anyone but by his own admission we are not talking about a UCONN fan here. One can only pray he did not receive a degree from UCONN in English. This would set our APR back a century or more...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don't see the problem with this plan. I think it's actually a cool idea. I'd like some on-field passes as a Father's Day gift. Plus the season tickets as well. Sign me up.

Did anyone who's bashing this stop to think that giving away two free tickets is a great way to bring two people who may have never been to a UConn game? How can you go wrong? Get a friend or a couple who have never been to a game, set up a great tailgate (even if it's a Thursday but so be it, make do with whatever you can), and show them what a game is like all for FREE for them. Just maybe, they'll see how this could be fun and wanna buy tickets this season or season tix next season. I don't see how anyone can bash this one.

Reaction Score
You guys are missi g the point giving away a few extra tickets makes bigger groups that can come. Be influenced by uconn football and Spread the word. Also more people to spend money at the game. Not a bad idea also they are going to put the dads on the field which can be a rare opportunity for those that want to go. Is this earth shattering marketing? No but it's a little boost to get people to fill te sands for an fcs game

Reaction Score
HFD should spend money on tix regardless of coach/team/AD. Thst is what being s fan is. Of the jersey, not what is behind it.

Tired of his whining.

They have given tickets to the first gsme as a promotiin for years thid is not new. Who cares.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Didn't they give away Rhode Island tix to people who bought and donated bowl game tix the season before the RI game? Something like that.

Yes. It was the Texas Southern game from a few years ago. I used the extra freebies that I got from donating PapaJohns Bowl tickets to bring a few friends to that game. Despite the score being in the neighborhood of 50-3, those friends had a great time. Those few friends are now season ticket holders.

Reaction Score
If it sells 50 more season tickets that's 50 more likely UConn fans and 50 less sold to Maryland, Mich, Rutty etc. That's fine with me.

I feel like people (a person) are missing the point that the objective is to sell more season tickets and not just give out tickets to Towson. Like that free ticket comes with season tickets.

Reaction Score
You guys are missi g the point giving away a few extra tickets makes bigger groups that can come. Be influenced by uconn football and Spread the word. Also more people to spend money at the game. Not a bad idea also they are going to put the dads on the field which can be a rare opportunity for those that want to go. Is this earth shattering marketing? No but it's a little boost to get people to fill te sands for an fcs game

Definitely. People at the game who got in for free will be more likely to buy the ticket holder some merch or something as a thank you.

HOW CAN PEOPLE FIND FAULT WITH THIS???????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
It is surprising that they are doing this so early. Bad sign.

Yup. Father day promotion? Good. Tix as the free thing? Bad. Give some type of voucher for a shirt or hoodie or something. Dumping tix this early is telling.

I knew I was going to get hammered in this thread. That's fine. No one here can take the glasses off. My family gives to the school every year as a handful of them are uconn blood. I'm not. I give a small amount to my favorite program at my school. I have my beef with leadership. But besides that everyone here should understand my side of it. While I would be happy if uconn wa scale on Tuesdays, I don't care. It doesn't make me money or help my resume or anything. I'm a sports fan who lives loal. Like a lot of you fans and borderline fans. That group of ppl were really starting to get attached 2-3 years ago. The train was gaining speed. Then everything the past year or so happened. It is what it's come to today. You guys have to take the glasses off and see it from a different side. I beg all of you. Leave my antics out of it. Just view it from a different angle. It's ugly.

And thanks for all the jerks who pump chest. Dan your not a fan. Dan I have been to every home game ever. Dan just stop coming here. Blah blah blah. Lol when uconn started play I was in middle school sorry I didn't have season tix back then.

I think a lot here need a dose of what a real football school does. We should all follow a wvu or Michigan or Oklahoma for a month this summer watch there ads talk and address things. See the marketing and decisions made. It would blows people's minds here.

I'm a New England kid. I grew up rooting for the Yankees because my grandpa did. My dad was a mets fan and other family members were Boston fans. Half of my family are giants fans half jets. Only 2 are pats fans. Then some are Knicks, nets, rangers etc etc. I am a average New England family representing. We all like winning and our teams spend a lot of money. No matter how bad the mets or the kicks are any year there are other teams to go root for or at least watch if you like watching a certain sport. Uconn has a lot to compete with. When you sit back like uconn is and lolly gag it shows. The Knicks and nets next year are going to have a lot of hype. The Yankees look good. The mets stink but have a ct pitcher who is making headlines. Both the rangers and islanders are good next year also. The pats will be the pats and the celtics the celtics. The bruins will be major talk. What's uconn doing to gear up for the fall? You guys all realize what a storm of good teams is coming right?

I may be a jerkoff, but I think a lot of this board lives further from the reality of the ad then I do every tho were on different sides. I think most here are born and bred bball fans who over time have made football a 2nd love. There is nothing wrong with that, but it does show at time here with the group impressions on topics.

I was a bball fan grew up on JC. I always rooted for PSU football and wvu football. Family members bred me into that when I was little. When I went to hs uconn started to show up n tv and because the brand in me from JC I started to follow. Then my buddy was a big player and I really started watching as I got to eat lunch one day with RE. I was upset my buddy left the state but stayed a fan. When I got to college I became more of a fan seeing what college was like even at a d3 level. Befor college was over I was hooked. I was the example of what uconn could do in this state over time. Winning for sure played a role in that. But there was a energy and local chat about this program that has disappeared. Today it's quiet. And when u mention it ppl look at u wired or say well Michigan or Maryland is going to whip up on us this year. I hate that its come to what today has. So I'm a nasty sob on here as result because I want those good times back.

And yes, I think I can run a athletic department Bette than our past two ad's. Am i delusional? You say so. But u have no clue who I really am. What my education level is or what not. U just see crapy English and ranting and think I live I a box. The truth is I have never held a ad position at a BCS school. The truth is either has our current ad. But he's a rockstar.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
As I've said before I appreciate non-alum fans but they don't think about this the way alums do. I can't turn off that I'm a UConn grad. And I won't. He just wants entertaining sports. If the school burnt down and we won a NC he'd be fine with that.

I don't want the school to burn down. My family has a emotional aspect to it like many here. I simply don't. I want to throw for 300 yards a game and win or lose 45-35 and not play 14-6 games vs temple.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
In short, you can't even market to your friends..........

My friends sold me at first. My first game was in the student section yet I never went to uconn. They are the ones who bought season group packages. I became more of a solid fan over time because I already was a football fan and a uconn DNA so the two merged easy and well. They are uconn alums. I shouldn't have to sell them. I think what u mean to say is THE SCHOOL CAN EVEN SELL ITS OWN ALUMS. Chew on that jackass. One of them likes in Glastonbury. Kid wakes up and drive down the road to the game. Or at least used to. I always got two tickets and the group was as big as 15 ish tailgating wise. It one of those has a ticket to date. I have not influenced them in any way. I don't rant to them and moan about warde. I drink with them and do normal friends type things. Most of them can care less about the type of stuff talked about here. They are not interested.

But yes, it's my fault they are season tix holders not the school they went to. And this folks is why uconn fans are laughed at on other messages boards and uconns commitment to football is laughed at on other boards and here's a good one maybe this is why uconn is in the AAC.

Reaction Score
In short, you can't even market to your friends..........

I like Dan, but this made me LOL. I'm a non-alum, though the wife is, and I "market" and expose new folks to UConn football, every chance I get. UConn football is the best ticket in CT sports scene period. It was when Edsall was here, whom I disliked, and it is still under P, who hasn't gotten it done. I look forward to exposing new fans again this year.

True story, I took a knowledgeable sports fan to UConn/SU back when SU had Cam Dantley qbing, and he kept saying "man, these quarterbacks both suck". He was an NFL/not CFB fan. I still laugh when I think of that.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
We have extra tix for Towson. Why not use them as bait to encourage the sale of more season tix? You lose absolutely nothing and the upside is more season ticket sales, immediate cash flow and the opportunity to introduce new people to the game day experience. Opposition to this promotion is simply silly.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Let me get this straight, you are on this board incessantly pontificating as if you live and breath UCONN football, and yet you don't support the program by purchasing tickets and it sounds like you might not even make the games this season. And you do this to make a point to Warde Manuel?

Dan, honestly, given the amount of time you spend on this board for a football program you don't support you should really find something else to do. It would give some of the rest of us a break too, because, honestly man...it gets really old, really fast.

I have ignored HFD's posts because he is clearly a moron so I'm not sure I'm interpreting this correctly but......does he not buy season tix? Not surprising. Typical, pontificating Internet dickbag who knows everything but does nothing to support he program. What a .

Reaction Score
But yes, it's my fault they are season tix holders not the school they went to. And this folks is why uconn fans are laughed at on other messages boards and uconns commitment to football is laughed at on other boards and here's a good one maybe this is why uconn is in the AAC.[/quote]

You mention UConn fans should follow Michigan (and other big football schools) fans around for a month, that we would be amazed. I think you would be amazed, cause they support the program no matter what. Do you think that if Michigan fans didn't like the AD they would stop going to games to teach the university a lesson? No, that's just dumb. If anything you are hurting the program. UConn has never sold out for the season so the administrations expectations for attendance aren't high-and when the administration sees such poor attendance they won't blame the AD, they will blame the fans and you will just be postponing any additional funding and attention the university gives to the program and making other conferences not look at us as a legitimate potential conference addition. Not to mention hurting recruiting even more, cause these kids want to play in front of people and not in front of an empty stadium. Think before you post.

I don't particularly like WM so far, but you blaming him for everything is just not well thought out. You talk about all these marketing plans but fail to realize that every department is given a budget so they can't just do whatever they want when it comes to marketing - and you do realize that he is in charge of all the athletic programs at the university and everything that goes along with being an AD (ie scheduling, hiring/firing, attending events on top of marketing and everything else).

Lastly, I come to your quote above. Maybe other fans and fans on other message boards laugh at us cause we don't fill the stadium cause our "fans" don't like the AD, or the new logo, or the new uniforms. It's "fans" like you that give other fans a reason to laugh at us. maybe the reason we are in the AAC is cause some "fans" only support the program and go to games when it's easy an convenient to cause we are winning. If we sold out all our games (or have close to a sellout every game) regardless of record and opponent, other conferences would see we have a bigger fan base then they thought and would maybe look at us for expanding their conference. Don't you realize that the bigger the following (which includes selling out games) brings the university to the attention of other schools and brings better recruits (and vice versa) the bigger the fan base (including consistenly selling out games) brings better recruits which leads to winning more games and makes other conference consider us more seriously.

Reaction Score
I have ignored HFD's posts because he is clearly a moron so I'm not sure I'm interpreting this correctly but......does he not buy season tix? Not surprising. Typical, pontificating Internet dickbag who knows everything but does nothing to support he program. What a .
He's an attention whoring dipsh!t. Writes fukking novels for posts about the most stupid .

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are we really going to pretend these freebees grows the season ticket base long term? They have been doing this for years as it has shrunk.

Reaction Score
Are we really going to pretend these freebees grows the season ticket base long term? They have been doing this for years as it has shrunk.
It might. There's nothin wrong with throwing in a few tix for a game that most likely isn't going to sell out. They are not free , u do have to buy seasons to get them. It is a way to put extra people on the stands and hopefully those people will do what ? Spend money and enjoy uconn football.

As far as HFD goes. Go easy on him. He is being honest. He could have lied and said he goes to all the games and buys season tix. And he does love uconn sports. Maybe someone can donate their free bee to him.

Reaction Score
I don't like telling people how to spend their money. And you have all the right in the world to not support the team or the school. But it pretty much eliminates your credibility here as far as I'm concerned.

Lots of things I'm not happy about. I tried to get elected to the Alumni board. I lost but I tried to get involved. And in the process I am now connected to more people that can influence change. And I will exert influence on those people. That's how actual change happens.

But this was always going to be a tough grind. There are no magic bullets. This is going to take time. And our fan base is fickle. A hoops game against FFLD will never sell out. Syracuse games always did. This conference is a big problem. Poor opponents means there is no "marquis" nature to the events. And that, coupled with winning, matters. But it will be 10 more years before we regularly sell out, if ever, unless we end up in the B1G (I personally don't think the ACC changes that much either as it is mostly just the old BE plus a few). The culture doesn't exist here yet. And it may never. There is a reason that we were 1-AA for so long.

So given all of the doom and gloom, where will I be? In section 241. Representing. Because I believe that's my job. And if I'm there with my son and BL and nobody else? So be it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It might. There's nothin wrong with throwing in a few tix for a game that most likely isn't going to sell out. They are not free , u do have to buy seasons to get them. It is a way to put extra people on the stands and hopefully those people will do what ? Spend money and enjoy uconn football.

As far as HFD goes. Go easy on him. He is being honest. He could have lied and said he goes to all the games and buys season tix. And he does love uconn sports. Maybe someone can donate their free bee to him.

Well it clearly hasn't. This isn't new.

Their approach to selling tickets is backwards. They reward people who wait. So it creates people that wait.

Giving away tickets to your lesser games is a slippery slope. It creates a dynamic that UConn isn't the draw - the opponent is.

The way they handled the Syracuse basketball game was silly. Jack up the price for a quick cash grab because Syracuse was highly ranked and were rewarded with a few thousand empty seats. Then they turn around and drop the price for Villanova for those who waited while your valuable season ticket holders pay full freight. Why give people more reasons to not but season tickets?

If you want to dynamically price your games figure out what you are going to charge say Michigan 50 Maryland Ville RU 35 and the balance at 20 - then set your season tickets at an advantage to those prices - and do not drop the single game prices as time passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom