Scenic Views in Connecticut | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Scenic Views in Connecticut

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
A really great view and well-kept secret is a small park in New Haven called Peter's Rock Park. Heavily wooded and quick hike brings you to a 360-degree view of New Haven Harbor, Sleeping Giant and the Meriden hills.

I read about it in this article last year after living in the area for most of my life. I bought the book and this was the first hike I did:

I found it on a map and birded it twice. Have not seen the vista you described but will look in November.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I found it on a map and birded it twice. Have not seen the vista you described but will look in November.
Get the book and bring the trail guide with you. It is short but there are a couple spots where it’s not as clear as it could be. I was glad I brought the pages for reference

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Here's Spliffy this morning doing a GIS on "favorite views in CT"

007LFD_Kevin_Smith_001.jpeg

Reaction Score
I always enjoyed Kent Falls and I remember the view from Talcott Mountain.

I also enjoyed the view from the top of Stonybrook Golf Course and Crestbrook, especially in the fall.

Reaction Score
Bear Mountain
Waramaug Rock at Macricostas Preserve
Tower at Mount Tom State Park
Haystack Mountain

Reaction Score
Case Mountain in Manchester

Soapstone Mountain in ...Somers/Ellington/East Windsor?

Soapstone Tower is technically in Somers. It offers a great view of the valley. It has some fantastic trails both up and down hill for hiking, dog walking or even a quick stroll.

Stop into the bar at Copper House Tavern (formerly Somers Inn) for dinner or a drink in a genuine, 1700’s watering hole.

I am also a big proponent of Cedar Knob Golf Course. It is excellent, reasonably priced and challenging. Somers for a day is like Southern Vermont for a day for many flatlander CT residents. I love it. I hit it once or twice each year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Blackledge Falls off CT route 94 in Glastonbury. I like it in winter if the snow is not too deep to hike in. A short hike relatively.
Soapstone Mtn observation tower is nice is off Gulf Rd. in Somers. Has a view of Springfield and upper CT river valley with Westover AFB in distance and Mt Greylock can be seen on a clear day.
The bluff at Bluff Point State Park as well as Harkness memorial both overlooking Long Island Sound.
The top of Bear Rock in Durham has a nice view to the west.
The top of Horsebarn Hill is great in all seasons.

Reaction Score
long wharf new haven where i grew up.

it’s better looking than where i live now

Reaction Score
Soapstone Tower is technically in Somers. It offers a great view of the valley. It has some fantastic trails both up and down hill for hiking, dog walking or even a quick stroll.

Used to go up there in the 70s. At that time it was topped by a fire tower that went up about 40 feet (much higher than the platform there today). You could see the skylines of Springfield, Harford and the double water towers at UConn just by turning your head.

Reaction Score
About once a month, and once a week in the summer, I start a scenic drive in East Norwalk, cover the Washington Street Bridge to South Norwalk and work my way southwest to Rowayton to meander around the historic fishermen neighborhoods that now house beautiful, well-kept historic homes. The locals of Rowayton can be annoying, but if you avoid the main drag on the weekends it's a really relaxing drive.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Not in Connecticut, but it's pretty cool during the summer to sit at a bar or restaurant in Montauk Harbor (or some spots in Greenport) and watch the sun set over Connecticut

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom