SC Postgame Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Yes, but I don’t think a concern over getting into foul trouble had anything to do with getting pushed around. There was one play in particular when Dorka was trying to front Boston in the low blocks, when a SC guard shot the ball. Boston easily pinned Dorka behind her, gathered up the rebound and scored about as easily as you could imagine. Dorka was helpless to do anything about it.
Yes I saw that. It happened because Juhasz gave up the position. She was inside and she let Boston slip around her using no leverage to keep her out and then stood behind Boston with her arms straight up and watched her lay it in because she didn't want to foul her and make her shoot 2 to earn it. Again, she and Edwards have little understanding of post positioning and need to be coached on it.

Reaction Score
As I’ve said before on this thread - it’s way too early to reach conclusions about this team. It’s only been 4 games guys! Stewie got benched her freshman year before she became great. Edwards and Muhl are not as good as last year… we don’t know why. Griffin’s hurt. One thing we know for sure is that Geno and his staff will figure it out and this team will get better.
I agree with the first bolded sentence and I'll reserve comment and wait to see if it happens on the last.

Reaction Score
Geno had just called a timeout to set up a play. Subsequently, UConn completed fouled up whatever they were trying to run, ending in a shot clock violation. Geno’s smile was one of absolute disbelief.
Don’t waste your breath! How can your visual/evidence based interpretation be as accurate as the poster’s obvious mind reading abilities? Know your place, sir!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The anti-Liv crowd is amazing. Let’s cherry-pick a statistic why don’t we? You might also point out that Liv didn’t hit a single 3-pt shot today.

My post talks exclusively about Liv’s defense which was exceptional today. So let’s look at defensive stats: 5 rebounds, 5 blocks, 2 steals. She was also 3/4 with 4 assists.
Liv was also 0 for 2 from the charity stripe :rolleyes:

Sarcasm....

Reaction Score
So Fudd is such a liability on defense she had to sit because SC went after her? Auriemma and Dailey did not feel she could step up to the challenge? Or is she really as limited laterally as this game and the Arkansas one seem to indicate? And is her inability to get open at this level further indication that she may just be compromised athletically? This is not high school or AAU.
Now in fairness, she has played four games, and this is nothing but bar talk IMO until she has played far more than four games, but with the hype attached to her commitment, these seemingly fundamental issues are a bit surprising.
I question that too. She gives ground almost all the way to the low block or into the paint instead of sliding 45 degrees laterally to cut off the penetration.

Reaction Score
Some post game thoughts:

1. in gymnastics it's called amplitude. UCOON played 1Q with real good amplitude, had bounce in their steps. Started to wane in 2Q. Disappeared in the second half.

2. AE play the most horrific first 3 or 4 minutes to start the game. I screamed at the TV for Geno to take her out. He did (probably not because of me). AE played a little better when she came back in.

3. Bad no-calls on obvious SC charging fouls, but that didn't change the final outcome.

4. Bad foul on Paige when her arm barely brushed an SC defender (who took an obvious flop backwards), but that didn't change the final outcome either.

5. I'm a big believer in Azzi, but she wasn't moving or shooting on offense. Her zero stat line pretty much tells the story. She looked like a high school kid out on the court with 9 D1 elite players. More is expected of Azzi.

6. the zone looked like it was working at least OK. Geno should have switched back and forth between the man to man and the zone just to confuse things, but what do I know?

7. what gives with the rebounding? Does UCONN realize when the ball goes up that they need to look to rebound. They played like it's "not my job".

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Honestly, I thought it was more the case that SC players were simply forcing their way to the basket by bodying Dorka & Aaliyah out of the way. When I saw Mir fight for position, body up Amihere and come down with the rebound, I immediately thought of Gabby, and wondered why our Bigs, other than Liv, were getting pushed around.
I've only watched about half the replay but that was certainly my initial take also.

Reaction Score
Not sure how one concludes that ONO was "great." ONO is the starting center on the team that was out rebounded 42 to 25. She pulled down just five rebounds total, while fouling four times in 34 minutes. The opposing team pulled down nearly as many offensive boards as UConn had total rebounds- 19 to 25. And ONO was the leader of the front court, which together scored just14 points. That's not "great."
You can take that up with Geno since he was very pleased with her performance.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She didn't have any surgery, Bueckers did.

Thanks for posting this. I know I'm getting old but I did not remember Nika having surgery last year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You can take that up with Geno since he was very pleased with her performance.
Geno also stated of Liv, “We need to get her some help.”

Reaction Score
Joe Vasily(sp?) is right there with Dee.
After the Paige joke foul, I lost count of the number of times Boston moved around on offense with her forearm leading the way.
I’ve been waiting for someone to comment on Boston’s clear-out shoved down low. I kept waiting for an O-foul call. Same shoves on other games by other players get whistled.

Reaction Score

I read all the posts. Interesting. Thanks to everyone.

I watched Geno’s postgame press conference. I admire him, but I was disappointed by what he said today. I wish he would take some responsibility.

But when he says that South Carolina hasn’t won the NC yet, I believe him. UConn had a good first half. It will take a lot of work, but UConn can beat South Carolina. And if they don’t, it will be interesting to see them try. It’s the drama of sports.

Were we listening to the same thing? I thought I clearly heard him say that the coaches needed to “fix” those things that are “fixable”. I’m not sure what you need to see from him? Perhaps sobbing apologetically, offering his resignation? I too agree that something needs to change but displaying panic after the fourth game of the season might not be the best approach to effecting that change.

Reaction Score
I was hoping to see some unconventional periodic zone today because SC isn't the best 3 pt shooting team. Of course, everyone says it's hard to rebound out of it, BUT so is playing man to man at this point. I also think all that chasing...wore the team down by the 4th quarter. I'll be interested in the next few games to see who plays where. Personally, I would like to see AE play the 5 against bigger teams and Liv the 4. I hope Piath starts to get a few minutes during CONFERENCE play. She doesn't need to score a lot of points. Get the defensive rebound so the other team doesn't get double digit second possessions which get turned into points.

There's plenty of offense on this team. Defense should be the focus. You will know it's been addressed when you can answer the question..."What's the Team's identity?" Not there yet. It's coming.

Reaction Score
I’ve been waiting for someone to comment on Boston’s clear-out shoved down low. I kept waiting for an O-foul call. Same shoves on other games by other players get whistled.

Reaction Score
Do you ever get the feeling that when Geno lost the Boston sweepstakes he could see maybe the glory days were in the past? We have gone three years without a dominant big while other teams are loading up. Is it that the bigs don’t see UConn anymore as a friendly place?
Why would they? Their function for UConn is to stay high and pass to others or set picks, not to bang down low.

Reaction Score
Were we listening to the same thing? I thought I clearly heard him say that the coaches needed to “fix” those things that are “fixable”. I’m not sure what you need to see from him? Perhaps sobbing apologetically, offering his resignation? I too agree that something needs to change but displaying panic after the fourth game of the season might not be the best approach to effecting that change.
Also said that HE needed to do a better job at getting Azzi open.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Correct. I would say CW & EW are sub-par defenders. They're usually slow to react and never crash the boards. If CW & EW doesnt score points, they are basically a liability out there, especially against good guard play.
I could be wrong but from what I can recall from last season, Christyn shut down the opposing team's leading scorer on more than one occasion last season. I am thinking Nova for sure.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the SC game:
  • Round 1 is in the books and while it’s clear that UConn is not quite at SC’s level yet. I will remind BY naysayers that in his 37 years as UConn’s HC, Geno’s teams always improve as the season progresses. Round 2 – January 27 – Columbia, SC.
  • This was a really competitive game between two great teams for 3 qtrs. The Huskies lost their poise in the 4th qtr and SC finished strong.
  • Paige wasting no time today, looking for her shot from the very start of the game, as well as dropping several beautiful dimes when SC rotated a second defender to stop her penetration.
  • Evina started off strong as well but faded some as the game went on, before reappearing again in the 4th qtr.
  • Liv’s 1st qtr was as good as I have ever seen her play, and she played well throughout the game. She needs more help from Aaliyah and Dorka.
  • SC crashing the offensive boards in waves reminds me so much of Pat Summit’s Lady Vols in their heyday. Ultimately UConn was unable to overcome SC's rebounding advantage.
  • Interesting time for Mir to get her first PT of the season. Obviously, those minutes would have been Aubrey’s minutes if she were healthy.
  • The refs clearly made a conscious decision to swallow their whistles today, particularly on charging calls.
I'm as disappointed as anyone on this board. I've seen Geno UP and I've seen Geno Down. He isn't down. Re-adjusting, you bet. In a previous thread I alluded to Geno putting in one of his sitting 6 5 players. I've thought this in the past and I was terribly wrong. They weren't ready. The question is how ready are Geno other post players. I was minimally disappointed with Dorka, but she did score and she did rebound but what kid her size is going to go toe to toe with Boston and live to tell about it. Olivia, her best game ever. As Carnac says--(I changed the numbers) wait until GAME 10 the let us talk..

Reaction Score
Olivia had 6 points (3-4), 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 5 blocks, and 2 steals against the #1 team with the #1 front court. She’s taken a lot of heat for not showing up in big games but she shouldn’t today.

Anyone that thinks Liv or any other post player should have been scoring at will against Aliyah Boston, Laeticia Amihere, and Kamila Cardosa is fooling themselves. That is a formidable frontcourt.
Liv was ok, but as a senior has to be a lot better. Does anyone think a senior Stewie or Tuck playing that way is acceptable? This is Uconn, the standard is higher then at other schools.

Reaction Score
Also said that HE needed to do a better job at getting Azzi open.
Vowel--I've played a game once 70 years ago with the square ball--but I don't remember it being the Coaches job of getting a shooter open. Yes, plays at times are needed but a shooter finds the opening and shoots. That is what makes Paige Paige. Azzi, can and will get her own opening before game 10. The two guards of SC that gave Uconn fits found openings. Boston, is a big mobile back stop with Cardoza in with her--size counts.

Reaction Score
Uh...,yeah, yeah, that’s the ticket...
Damn I missed game had to work- recorded it -hoping for a lot of fun - so much for that! Yikes!! You and others were right - whoa -did we take a whoopin' or what? Looks like Boston was a beast as many of you predicted. Damn. . .

Reaction Score
Liv was ok, but as a senior has to be a lot better. Does anyone think a senior Stewie or Tuck playing that way is acceptable? This is Uconn, the standard is higher then at other schools.
Olivia is light years away from her first Uconn game. She's a senior, how much more can or will she improve. She needs help and I'm sure Geno will provide it.

Reaction Score
Vowel--I've played a game once 70 years ago with the square ball--but I don't remember it being the Coaches job of getting a shooter open. Yes, plays at times are needed but a shooter finds the opening and shoots. That is what makes Paige Paige. Azzi, can and will get her own opening before game 10. The two guards of SC that gave Uconn fits found openings. Boston, is a big mobile back stop with Cardoza in with her--size counts.
Take it up with Geno.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom