Saylor Poffenbarger update | The Boneyard

Saylor Poffenbarger update

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Saylor set the Arkansas rebounding record tonight--23 boards--in an upset of ranked Florida State. She had 21 boards in a game earlier this season. She is now averaging 12.6 rpg, which should place her 3rd in the nation, just ahead of Cameron Brink. Saylor's shooting is still so-so: 36/30/56. I saw her in high school a few times and expected about 45/35/75.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
What position does she play? I assumed she was an off guard/wing forward.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not aware of Saylor's mom being a problem while she was at Connecticut. She made some unfortunate posts after Saylor that were a pretty bad look for her. Ultimately she backtracked from them, but it's that point the the toothpaste was out of the tube.

Good to hear things are going well for her. I think she would have been a significant contributor had she made the commitment to stay with all of that entails.

Reaction Score
Read somewhere that one of the commentators asked her why she left UConn after the game. Is that true? If so, why?

Everyone has moved on. That doesn't sound appropriate to me.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Read somewhere that one of the commentators asked her why she left UConn after the game. Is that true? If so, why?

You heard right.

Reaction Score
Saylor set the Arkansas rebounding record tonight--23 boards--in an upset of ranked Florida State. She had 21 boards in a game earlier this season. She is now averaging 12.6 rpg, which should place her 3rd in the nation, just ahead of Cameron Brink. Saylor's shooting is still so-so: 36/30/56. I saw her in high school a few times and expected about 45/35/75.
Raegan Beers RPG Average = 13.4. Even more impressive is her RPM at 0.544

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Saylor scored 13 points, with 4 3s. So a double double.
She made a nice long 3 to end either the first half or 3rd quarter.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Raegan Beers RPG Average = 13.4. Even more impressive is her RPM at 0.544

Gustin at BYU is #1 at 14.6. Beers is #2 at 13.4. Poffenbarger is #3 at 12.6. Mitchell of Princeton is #4 at 12.1. Brink is #5, also at 12.1 (rounded).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

You heard right.
It wasn't really phrased like that. I've linked the video below; this question is at 1:25:07.

Pam asks, "Now, you are a transfer; you played a little bit for UConn and came over to Arkansas. What drove you to come to this Razorback program?"

So the question was more "What drew you to Arkansas?" as opposed to "Why did you leave UConn?"

Reaction Score
Gustin at BYU is #1 at 14.6. Beers is #2 at 13.4. Poffenbarger is #3 at 12.6. Mitchell of Princeton is #4 at 12.1. Brink is #5, also at 12.1 (rounded).
Today at the Oregon State vs Western Kentucky game, after making a layup, Raegan Beers came down the court and said to me," I made it on the first try!". Raegan got a lot of rebounds because she missed a lot of "bunnies" and then collected the rebound after her miss(es). Not her finest shooting performance but the kid can rebound. Of course, I think there were times when our shortest OSU player on the court was as tall as their tallest player.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Today at the Oregon State vs Western Kentucky game, after making a layup, Raegan Beers came down the court and said to me," I made it on the first try!". Raegan got a lot of rebounds because she missed a lot of "bunnies" and then collected the rebound after her miss(es). Not her finest shooting performance but the kid can rebound. Of course, I think there were times when our shortest OSU player on the court was as tall as their tallest player.
The old Moses Malone trick. Padding your rebounding stats.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She definitely entered college with the reputation as a shooter not a rebounder. Her shooting stats last season were 33/23/70 so just a slight uptick in the 3-point shooting but overall still not very good. I expect her rebounding numbers to dip a bit once SEC play begins but good for her that this is finding a way to help her team. She proves that rebounding is not always about height, but often about anticipation and positioning.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She definitely entered college with the reputation as a shooter not a rebounder. Her shooting stats last season were 33/23/70 so just a slight uptick in the 3-point shooting but overall still not very good. I expect her rebounding numbers to dip a bit once SEC play begins but good for her that this is finding a way to help her team. She proves that rebounding is not always about height, but often about anticipation and positioning.

What I liked about her game in high school was her versatility. Arkansas and Saylor were overmatched by UCLA today.

Saylor averaged 6.9 rpg last year, as a freshman. This season, she should finish at about 8-9 rpg.

Reaction Score
Dang. How’d she go from being a forward with guard skills and an outside shot to a sub par shooting glass cleaner? At least she’s found a way to contribute. We could use some of those rebounding

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Dang. How’d she go from being a forward with guard skills and an outside shot to a sub par shooting glass cleaner? At least she’s found a way to contribute. We could use some of those rebounding
I remember Saylor being on that very, very good U.S.A. U-16 team that ruled the competition in Chile. She and Payton Verhulst bombed away from distance while Sonia Citron drove and grabbed rebounds. Fast forward to college and Saylor is now Ms. Windex 2023, while Citron -- when on the floor -- is a lot of this, a little of that and Verhulst...well, she's still bombing away. ;)

Reaction Score
What position does she play? I assumed she was an off guard/wing forward.
I watched her play last week and she was a guard but I think they had a really small lineup across the board. She looked totally different than I remember while she was at UConn. She looked more fit and certainly had a swagger to her game she didn't show at UConn but she was still in HS at the time.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Poffenbarger is not a common name and when I read the FCS Semi-Final preview about Albany vs. S. Dakota State and saw that the Albany QB shared Saylor's last name, I had to check. Sure enough, Reese and Saylor are brother-sister. He has thrown for 3,371 yards and 36 touchdowns with Brevin Easton pulling in 53 catches for 1,055 yards and 13 touchdowns.

The S. Dakota State-UAlbany game is at 7 p.m. EST on ESPN2 for those interested.

Reaction Score
In high school she played 1-5. She's listed as a guard, but Arkansas only starts one forward, so Saylor is probably effectively a forward.

I'm with @victor64 , I really wish Saylor fit in at UConn.
Maybe.... and just a maybe... if Saylor had not come in as an early H.S./ January Year player she and her
mom would not have had the High Expectations and ?? disappointments (of what, I am not sure), and she might have stayed
in Storrs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom