2021 Recruiting: - Samson Johnson senior year mixtape | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Samson Johnson senior year mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His defense will earn him minutes at the 4/5 just like Akok's freshman year. Such a freak athlete. Long and super versatile on defense.

Developing that shot and a move or two inside so he has some semblance of offense will be key for him. Year after next we will NEED him to be able to replace Whaley's minutes.

Imo... he is Coach Mike's biggest project the summer. Samson at D1 size could be a star in 2 years.

Reaction Score
His defense will earn him minutes at the 4/5 just like Akok's freshman year. Such a freak athlete. Long and super versatile on defense.

Developing that shot and a move or two inside so he has some semblance of offense will be key for him. Year after next we will NEED him to be able to replace Whaley's minutes.

Imo... he is Coach Mike's biggest project the summer. Samson at D1 size could be a star in 2 years.
If Samson is Coach Mike's #1 project this summer..Sool has to be #2

Reaction Score

He can actually be a monster in the high hedge with his insane length and then he has the quickness to recover. Makes a lot more sense with him than Carlton or Sanogo.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
He can actually be a monster in the high hedge with his insane length and then he has the quickness to recover. Makes a lot more sense with him than Carlton or Sanogo.
Yep! He can be great in the PnR as well or as a rim runner. Very versatile big. A couple years from now I foresee the Sool to Samson lob as our go to play.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
If nothing else, we have a strong opportunity to recreate the DHam to Brimah alley-oop connection with Johnson on the receiving end.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Watch the way this kid moves. Incredible for his size. He's this good playing with a mask on.
Right!? Like he could probably play college basketball if he were 6’3 but the fact that he’s 6’10 with a a 7’4 wingspan makes him a day 1 high major impact player.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Right!? Like he could probably play college basketball if he were 6’3 but the fact that he’s 6’10 with a a 7’4 wingspan makes him a day 1 high major impact player.
What would he do at 6'3?

Reaction Score
2011 & 2014 title teams had super athletic front courts and some smaller shifty guards, just sayin.

i know a lot of teams are like that, but some calhoun advice will make the difference

UconnU

Reaction Score
You just never see legitimately athletic, fluid kids with 7’4 wingspans. I’m honestly surprised he’s not a 5 star.

Reaction Score
You just never see legitimately athletic, fluid kids with 7’4 wingspans. I’m honestly surprised he’s not a 5 star.

He has almost 0 offensive BB IQ. Those aren't fair expectations to put on the kid.

He's basically evan mobley with a little less natural shotblocking instincts, much less scoring ability, and 10lbs less muscle.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
videos of a tall kid mostly dunking in high school are aboot as insightful as saying wasps are most likely to sting you on a hot and hazy summer day. ie, duh.
i do however, really like his seeming potential to greatly expand his natural talents into a force, so im all in on shimshon hagibor ('samson the mighty'). just keep him far away from a hair stylist, as sometimes they can really mess up ur braids.

Reaction Score
I hear you but what you just described kind of sounds like a 5 star to me.

No it doesn't. 5*s aren't as big of projects as Samson is. He is going to struggle a lot scoring the ball barring a huge change in his skill level.

A shorter, less strong, less skilled Evan Mobley is not a 5* player. He's a freak athlete with go-go gadget arms and currently not much else.

I think he could end up in the NBA , maybe even a very good NBA player with some hard work and luck... but he's barely on NBA radars right now. He has a lot to prove. Jackson and Johnson are the two big tests for skill development with this staff right now imo... both could be NBA players, or do absolutely nothing at the next level depending on how they develop (Hawkins is two and done nba bound regardless imo).

Reaction Score
No it doesn't. 5*s aren't as big of projects as Samson is. He is going to struggle a lot scoring the ball barring a huge change in his skill level.

A shorter, less strong, less skilled Evan Mobley is not a 5* player. He's a freak athlete with go-go gadget arms and currently not much else.

I think he could end up in the NBA , maybe even a very good NBA player with some hard work and luck... but he's barely on NBA radars right now. He has a lot to prove. Jackson and Johnson are the two big tests for skill development with this staff right now imo... both could be NBA players, or do absolutely nothing at the next level depending on how they develop (Hawkins is two and done nba bound regardless imo).
I'm saying your description of him kind of sounds like a 5 star to me. Mobley is the #2 pick after a year in college.
He's basically evan mobley with a little less natural shotblocking instincts, much less scoring ability, and 10lbs less muscle.

Reaction Score
He has almost 0 offensive BB IQ. Those aren't fair expectations to put on the kid.

So basically he's nothing like Evan Mobley except he's tall and long? Lol

Reaction Score

A lot of projects have been 5* or borderline 5*. I mean Majok for one, Nick Richards comes to mind as well.

Reaction Score
From the videos I have watched the athleticism and talent is there to be an outstanding player. But he still looks very raw.

I think he would be pushed around both offensively and defensively. I dont see him having the strength to hold his position on the blocks or even pushing through a defender on a drive or a defensive stop.
His offensive highlights, which look good, are mainly dunks and open three’s.Not much video of him sealing off his man with “ cow kicks”. A high schooler with his size should be doing that.

IF,IF, Akok works back to full strength and his previous play and IF we sign someone from the portal who could shoot I think the staff should look at red shirting Johnson. I know that’s hard to do with a possible top 50 talent but I think the extra time getting in the weight room and working on his game , in Hurleys system, would be the best thing for his advancement.

Reaction Score
So basically he's nothing like Evan Mobley except he's tall and long? Lol
I'd also add
Rim runner skillset... not a true post up big. Ability to defend the perimeter at 6'11/7'. Burgeoning shooting ability. Hyper-athletic vertical spacer.

But yeah, kind of basically. He plays a lot like Mobley did 2/3 years ago.

Reaction Score
A lot of projects have been 5* or borderline 5*. I mean Majok for one, Nick Richards comes to mind as well.

5*s don't generally struggle to score consistently at the high school level.

Ya'll need to realize I'm not saying he isn't a good player with a high ceiling. I'm saying some people are setting unrealistic expectations. There's a good chance he's playing deep on the bench behind Sanogo/Springs/Whaley/Rese/Akok at the 4/5 (though I do think he will play before Springs and who knows with Akok).

I'd like to know how many people on this thread have seen him play a 32-minute game and not just a highlight reel.

Reaction Score
5*s don't generally struggle to score consistently at the high school level.

Ya'll need to realize I'm not saying he isn't a good player with a high ceiling. I'm saying some people are setting unrealistic expectations. There's a good chance he's playing deep on the bench behind Sanogo/Springs/Whaley/Rese/Akok at the 4/5 (though I do think he will play before Springs and who knows with Akok).

I'd like to know how many people on this thread have seen him play a 32-minute game and not just a highlight reel.
I think Hurley will have a difficult time keeping him on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom