Samson Johnson Off Season | The Boneyard

Samson Johnson Off Season

Reaction Score
What does he need to do to be a legitimate BE starting Center?

How much can he realistically transform his body?

Were going to need him to make a leap next season

Reaction Score
I don’t think he has the frame to support a transformational amount of weight. But one thing he does way too often is attempt blocks on shots he has no shot of blocking, in turn leaving the offensive glass open for the opponent. He’s never going to be Drummond but that DR% should be above 15% at minimum (11.7% this past season). He and Karaban are an awful rebounding tandem and that was routinely exposed during his minutes this year.

Offensively, developing his touch around the rim would be helpful. Whatever shooting touch he had in high school is long gone right now, but even improve his layup and FT game would serve him well.

Reaction Score
He also gets abused by guys just ramming into him with shoulders. Refs should call it but He should take some charges to force them to.

Reaction Score
Getting up and down the floor and cutting for those dunks in the championship game? Even Edey had no answer for that! 2 different looks especially with the bruiser Reed.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He's not able to put on the weight needed to hold his own against the big guys. What he needs to do is work on what he has.

He has insane athleticism and length. Working on not fouling and setting proper screens should be priority one.

With his length, the next thing should be working on post moves, face-ups, passing, and free-throws.

Last thing should be his handle.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Again, whatever the staff decides is what he should be working on. I don't want hin to lose what he has. Our staff has a way of coaching guys up. Jordan Hawkins went from reluctant player to star over the course of one off-season. They know what they're doing. That's why I have high expectations for Stewart and Ball as well.

Reaction Score
Don't want him adding weight, just fix 3 things and he'll be more than adequate.

Cut down on the fouls, don't mind the aggressiveness but too often his fouls are meaningless touch fouls that achieve nothing

Care about rebounding. Too often he just seems completely uninterested in getting a rebound. That's an easy fix with the coaches yelling at him all summer

Improve the FT shooting. Not much to say here, get it to 60% instead of 40% and it'll make a big difference

Reaction Score
Hurley & co. knows what to work on.

I’m going to guess they give Sam starter reps and emphasize defense / fouling less. He’ll extend his game beyond rim running. may require lower body strength training for defensive post and body control on the offensive post.

He’s going to be a stud.

Reaction Score
Develop an Oso Ighodaro push-floater in the lane shot. Put on a realistic amount of weight - 10 lbs? Watch 90 videos on how to remain stationary on a pick-and-roll. 1000 FTs a day.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Caloric intake, 45 LB plates and mid range game

Reaction Score
I recommend steroids. ;) Some guys just have crazy metabolism and can't gain weight. SJ must have 3% body fat.

Reaction Score
Rebounding and defensive IQ. Anything else is gravy.
Hard to overstate the defensive IQ piece. I don’t know that he’s going to be able to add that much weight or strength, but his post defense as is just isn’t workable as a starting center. His fundamentals break down way too often where his arms come down or wrap up his guy with a completely blatant foul.

Reaction Score
Hard to overstate the defensive IQ piece. I don’t know that he’s going to be able to add that much weight or strength, but his post defense as is just isn’t workable as a starting center. His fundamentals break down way too often where his arms come down or wrap up his guy with a completely blatant foul.

He's going to be a 15mpg backup center. That guys role is defense, energy and rebounding. He's got 1/3 right now. With the right film work, I think he can pull off the others and push for 6th man of the year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom