S.C. Media Guy on Paige | Page 2 | The Boneyard

S.C. Media Guy on Paige

Reaction Score
In response to WiseWillie, Caitlin Clark will win the NPOY, which entitles her being called the best player. In a way, she has refined the women's game, much like Steph Curry altered the NBA. Clark has demonstrated unparalleled shooting range and incorporated that into part of her normal game. Additionally, she is a dynamic passer with incredible court vision. She plays with flair, passion and a high-risk, high-reward style that attracts attention. Yes, she has helped immensely in growing the women's game.

In response to browns, CC's legacy is secure. Her run throughout last year's tourney is legendary. Lest we forget, Paige, when healthy, has led UConn to two Final Four's already. She has another season to add another NPOY to her mantle. I think too many people disregard how difficult it is to rejoin the upper echelons of sport after missing so much time due to injuries. What Paige has accomplished & performing as well as she has is largely going unnoticed nationally.

Anyone who knocks CC down or tries to diminish her accomplishments is not being magnanimous. There's no reason to tear down another player in support of the one you favor. She is spectacular, however, I believe a healthy Paige is the best overall player. Maybe not in terms of stats, but in baseball parlance, she is a 5-tool player.

Maybe UConn doesn't have the team to go all the way this year, but I feel Paige is significantly recovered to load the team on her back. I wouldn't be surprised to see UConn pull off a surprise or two.

The debate will continue, and like politics, people most likely won't change their minds. I acknowledge and applaud what Clark has done for herself, Iowa and women's basketball, but I would rather have Paige on my team.

Reaction Score
I like it like that, so the awards are on individuals, not on individual part of the A team
So if for example Paige and Geno drag this team and its walking wounded across the finish line to a national championship you don't think that should be part of the consideration for post-season awards?

Reaction Score
Been there, done that! Paige already did that! If she does it again, what will that say about her? Clark is truly tremendous! She will most certainly win PoY, and deservedly so. However, I’m with several others on this board, Given a choice, I’ll take Paige.

Reaction Score
Those who are downgrading Caitlin are being disingenuous about both her talent and her place in The Game. She has caused wbb media coverage and tv viewership to explode. If not for her, SCar would now be gunning for its 3rd straight title and second straight undefeated. That would be “ bad for wbb.” As much as I hated David hitting us between the eyes with logo stones, it was in the best interests of The Game

With that said, I would choose Paige to lead my team. I feel little love for what we called “ hot dogs” back in my day. I love it when I see my team’s box scores with six players in double figures who play under 30 minutes per game.

Anyway. Good luck til we meet again.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark was ordained as POY in the fall. All media hype all season has been Caitlin Clark.

I get the scoring record. She hoists up a lot of shots each game. Her defense is suspect.

I'll take Paige anyday in the week. She is more efficient in her shot selections. She can rebound, assist and play some serious defense. She is a more complete player.

Reaction Score
Not sure about CC being "best player hands down". She has been the beneficiary of relentless media hype ever since Paige went out with an ACL. Paige is much more versatile and IMO a better all-around player. And this stuff on the media of CC "redefining the women's game" is just that: a lot of "media stuff". I would like someone to lay out specifically ust how she has "redefined" the women's game. Give me a break.
Relentless media hype? She’s basically averaging 32 points, 8 rebounds, and 9 assists this year. With 46/38/85 shooting splits. It was hype when she was shooting from deep like sophomore year but she’s lived up to the attention she’s been given her whole college career. You’re telling me that player isn’t hands down player of the year? On a team that’s actually well ranked? No you give me a break.

i don’t think she’s redefining the game, and I don’t know why you would mention that to me, but i see her mass appeal. It looks like NBA basketball. You know…that thing that is the pinnacle of the sport. It’s all efficient play and the analytics game. Midrange and post up is dead and young fans don’t like it. It’s not going to get people into the product. We all know boneyard users aren’t the biggest nba watchers anymore and tend to be demographic wise on the older side. It’s okay if you don’t get Caitlin Clark. I would absolutely take Paige over her, there’s a reason from that high school to college transition period she was the darling of the sport. How she plays isn’t drawing the attention anymore on a UConn team that’s not elevated anymore. She loves the midrange, she’s being forced into the post, she’s been injured. You probably can’t even put together an argument outside of opinion on why CC isn’t hands down POY. We are all homers but sometimes you have to face facts.

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark was ordained as POY in the fall. All media hype all season has been Caitlin Clark.

I get the scoring record. She hoists up a lot of shots each game. Her defense is suspect.

I'll take Paige anyday in the week. She is more efficient in her shot selections. She can rebound, assist and play some serious defense. She is a more complete player.
Much as I sympathize with this sentiment, the @The deacon in me requires me to disagree with the claim that Caitlin’s defense is suspect. She is a great defender when she is called on to be. Iowa’s defense isn’t structured around her. But I’ve seen her make some great defensive plays.

Reaction Score
Relentless media hype? She’s basically averaging 32 points, 8 rebounds, and 9 assists this year. With 46/38/85 shooting splits. It was hype when she was shooting from deep like sophomore year but she’s lived up to the attention she’s been given her whole college career. You’re telling me that player isn’t hands down player of the year? On a team that’s actually well ranked? No you give me a break.

i don’t think she’s redefining the game, and I don’t know why you would mention that to me, but i see her mass appeal. It looks like NBA basketball. You know…that thing that is the pinnacle of the sport. It’s all efficient play and the analytics game. Midrange and post up is dead and young fans don’t like it. It’s not going to get people into the product. We all know boneyard users aren’t the biggest nba watchers anymore and tend to be demographic wise on the older side. It’s okay if you don’t get Caitlin Clark. I would absolutely take Paige over her, there’s a reason from that high school to college transition period she was the darling of the sport. How she plays isn’t drawing the attention anymore on a UConn team that’s not elevated anymore. She loves the midrange, she’s being forced into the post, she’s been injured. You probably can’t even put together an argument outside of opinion on why CC isn’t hands down POY. We are all homers but sometimes you have to face facts.
Totally disagree that the midrange and post up is dead. We’re talking the women’s game, not the NBA. The reason the UConn team isn’t elevated is because of of injuries. I prefer the women’s game to the NBA, analytics or no anylitics. Yes, the media hype is fueling the CC hysteria. ESPN touts Caitlin Clark, then Iowa vs Holy Cross. You have to look at the media hysteria. That’s a fact.

Reaction Score
You guys need to learn to read better. I didn’t say anything critical about Caitlin. Defend her if you like, but leave me out of it. I’ve always said she’s a great player.
Thanks for the advice, Bone Dog. I'll definitely set to work on my reading comprehension...;)

Reaction Score
Lots of fascinating points made by many of my fellow BYers. I've enjoyed reading them.

I'll just add the point I've made numerous times over the past two seasons or so, especially this winter: we are blessed to be experiencing the Era of Paige and Caitlin, or Caitlin and Paige, if you prefer.

Several of you have made the point it's disingenuous to knock Caitlin to build up Paige, or vice versa. That's the heart of the matter to me. They're two great players who are friends, and treat us each time they play to beautiful basketball.

I root for both teams, if you can understand that, and would love to see both make it to the Final Four. But if either or both fall short of that standard, it wouldn't lessen my admiration for Paige and/or Caitlin and what they've achieved.

Come summertime, I'll be rooting for Caitlin to succeed in the WNBA... then, come autumn, I'll anxiously await the start of Paige's final Huskies season, hoping for another run to the Final Four.

Cheers, everyone. Thank you all for your thoughts...

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Sigh. It seems that people have the impression that Clark plays with the equivalence of EDD or Stiles teammates. Iowa is a freaking good team. Iowa shoots around 50%, but Clark only shoots around 46% so her teammates actually shoot about 5% points better. Do you think Delaware or SWMS shot like that? Seven of Clark’s teammates have a higher overall percentage than her, five have a higher 3fg%.

UConn also shoots around 50%, but Bueckers shoots at 53.8%, meaning collectively the team shoots probably about 5% points worse. This is probably closer to what EDD or Stiles dealt with (actually they probably had it worse), yet Clark is the greatest, presumably because of how much she lifts her inadequate teammates?

Greatest passer? On a team that averages about 5 more possessions a game, shoots better than the majority of wcbb, and is by far the main distributor for that team, Clark gets the most assists. This makes her the greatest passer? Her A/T ratio this year is around 1.85, down from last year (when her teammates collectively shot around 53%). Bueckers ratio is 2.65, Muhl’s is 2.45.

Even putting all that aside, can Clark play defense like Stewart? Catchings? Moore? Holdsclaw? Miller? Beard? Thomas?

If this was an Iowa fan board, or you were an Iowa fan, I would drop this. I have no problem with Clark getting NPOY. But this greatest ever and changing wcbb narrative on a UConn board from a UConn fan needs to be challenged.

Reaction Score
I root for both teams, if you can understand that, and would love to see both make it to the Final Four. But if either or both fall short of that standard, it wouldn't lessen my admiration for Paige and/or Caitlin and what they've achieved.
I'm with you on this one. I root for Iowa just this much, for them to make it to the Final Four where I hope they'll face UConn. I'd love to see one more UConn-Iowa game, since Caitlin has never been able to win against Paige or Azzi. Who knows? Maybe the third time is the charm :D.

Bring It Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Reaction Score
Iowa was not a one player team last year, they were a two player team with Czinano at center. This year Czinano is playing in the WNBA. That being said, getting blown out in the final 102-85 by LSU, didn’t help the Iowa mystique either.

Reaction Score
All kidding aside: I rooted for Iowa to beat LSU last year. I thought they were dealt a cruel hand by destiny in that one.

Reaction Score
Sigh. It seems that people have the impression that Clark plays with the equivalence of EDD or Stiles teammates. Iowa is a freaking good team. Iowa shoots around 50%, but Clark only shoots around 46% so her teammates actually shoot about 5% points better. Do you think Delaware or SWMS shot like that? Seven of Clark’s teammates have a higher overall percentage than her, five have a higher 3fg%.

UConn also shoots around 50%, but Bueckers shoots at 53.8%, meaning collectively the team shoots probably about 5% points worse. This is probably closer to what EDD or Stiles dealt with (actually they probably had it worse), yet Clark is the greatest, presumably because of how much she lifts her inadequate teammates?

Greatest passer? On a team that averages about 5 more possessions a game, shoots better than the majority of wcbb, and is by far the main distributor for that team, Clark gets the most assists. This makes her the greatest passer? Her A/T ratio this year is around 1.85, down from last year (when her teammates collectively shot around 53%). Bueckers ratio is 2.65, Muhl’s is 2.45.

Even putting all that aside, can Clark play defense like Stewart? Catchings? Moore? Holdsclaw? Miller? Beard? Thomas?

If this was an Iowa fan board, or you were an Iowa fan, I would drop this. I have no problem with Clark getting NPOY. But this greatest ever and changing wcbb narrative on a UConn board from a UConn fan needs to be challenged.
Some memories only go back about 2 years. They forget about Bueckers’ freshman year and all those other studs that played before her. To some people numbers are everything. ;)

Reaction Score
I wouldn't put much stock into what Captain Will has to say. He is just a fan like us who just so happens to put his opinions on camera and likes to stir the pot for some views.

With that said, Paige is a fantastic player!

Reaction Score
In response to WiseWillie, Caitlin Clark will win the NPOY, which entitles her being called the best player. In a way, she has refined the women's game, much like Steph Curry altered the NBA. Clark has demonstrated unparalleled shooting range and incorporated that into part of her normal game. Additionally, she is a dynamic passer with incredible court vision. She plays with flair, passion and a high-risk, high-reward style that attracts attention. Yes, she has helped immensely in growing the women's game.

In response to browns, CC's legacy is secure. Her run throughout last year's tourney is legendary. Lest we forget, Paige, when healthy, has led UConn to two Final Four's already. She has another season to add another NPOY to her mantle. I think too many people disregard how difficult it is to rejoin the upper echelons of sport after missing so much time due to injuries. What Paige has accomplished & performing as well as she has is largely going unnoticed nationally.

Anyone who knocks CC down or tries to diminish her accomplishments is not being magnanimous. There's no reason to tear down another player in support of the one you favor. She is spectacular, however, I believe a healthy Paige is the best overall player. Maybe not in terms of stats, but in baseball parlance, she is a 5-tool player.

Maybe UConn doesn't have the team to go all the way this year, but I feel Paige is significantly recovered to load the team on her back. I wouldn't be surprised to see UConn pull off a surprise or two.

The debate will continue, and like politics, people most likely won't change their minds. I acknowledge and applaud what Clark has done for herself, Iowa and women's basketball, but I would rather have Paige on my team.
I’m replying to this comment because it (not exclusively but effectively ) gives Clark every bit of her due. There was a time that I loved watching her play. But the combination of the nauseating media hype, her whining, flopping and showboating for the crowd really turned me off. It’s just not the style of basketball I like watching. I love UConn for their passionate yet workman-like style. And just for sheer enjoyment, I would rather watch Paige any day of the week v. watching Clarke. Paige does surprising things all over the court that delight me, the end. I’m still looking for PB to be The Tournament Ninja of 2024, screw NPOY–been there, don’t that.

Reaction Score
The way she handles herself…give me Paige all day long over the field. She doesn’t have her dad telling her to grow up from stands. Amazing player and represents university and state very well.

The player she has morphed into this year where she has accepted power forward role, her defense and leadership has been amazing to watch. She isn’t just a great player but a spectacular one who makes others like Shade and KK that much better..

Reaction Score
I’m replying to this comment because it (not exclusively but effectively ) gives Clark every bit of her due. There was a time that I loved watching her play. But the combination of the nauseating media hype, her whining, flopping and showboating for the crowd really turned me off. It’s just not the style of basketball I like watching. I love UConn for their passionate yet workman-like style. And just for sheer enjoyment, I would rather watch Paige any day of the week v. watching Clarke. Paige does surprising things all over the court that delight me, the end. I’m still looking for PB to be The Tournament Ninja of 2024, screw NPOY–been there, don’t that.
You’ve read my mind and expressed this perfectly. Go Paige!!!

Reaction Score
OK, here's my 2 cents as if anyone cares. CC is the POY. Not because she's the media darling, not because of her less than eye opening FG% percentage, but because, from day1 to right now, she is the best in WCBB in America.

What does that mean? Does that mean Paige can't put the team on her back, and pull a Taurasi and lead UConn to the promised land? Paige has a very good team behind her. And unlike DT who had no seniors to help her, Paige has a pretty good team behind her. I'm with an NC for UConn. Stranger things have happened. Go UConn, go Paige take them there.

Reaction Score
CC is a great player. I love her game. She is fun to watch having fun out there, and I think she will be a great pro, but if you lined every woman who has played college ball since say 2000 and you started picking teams CC is not the first player chosen and maybe not the tenth player chosen. We like to hype the latest thing as the greatest thing. Candace Stewie Maya Brittany D and a couple others might have a say in the greatest player ever.

Reaction Score
I'm a WBB fan, a UCONN fan (That is nearly the same), for me Stewie is the biggest success story, Diana and Maya are legends, BUT the best all around basketball player in my eye is Paige.

And I really hope she will have an injury free season with her bestie.
Ah well, here we go again. Rather have Paige than any other UConn great, huh? So I will ask the same question I've asked every time this issue comes up: if you could pick only one player with whom to start a team, who would that be? Answer: Stewie. (How often did she play out of position?)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom