OT: Ryder Cup in Rome...starts early Friday

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
TV viewing
Friday 1:30 AM to noon...our time...USA
Saturday 3:00 AM to noon ...NBC
Sunday 5:30 AM to 1:00PM...NBC

I will post link to scoreboard... when it exists.

Euros have won 4 of last 6. USA crushed them here in 2021...biggest margin
ever 19-9....lots of youth on that team. Friday starts with alternate shot/then best ball.
USA has lost the last bunch of Cups in Europe...maybe 7 in a row.

Home course/hostile crowd. USA may have a depth edge, At the top of Europe's team...a lot to handle.
Jon Rahm/Rory Mcllroy and the hottet player on the planet...Norwegian Viktor Hovland...finished the year
by winning the last 2 playoff tourneys.

Should be close...will be hard to match the overall entertainment of just completed Solheim Cup tie...with
Euros 'retaining' the Cup. I suspect our players will regard themselves as underdogs despite our rout in 2021
due to it being in Rome and our difficulties overseas.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Additional TV coverage:
Saturday: 1:30 AM to 3:00 AM...followed by the NBC coverage 3:00 to noon.

Reaction Score

Above is the link to the results to the foursome matches...they start early
Friday morning...around 1:30 AM...our time.
Thanks, as always, Blake. I skipped my afternoon nap and I'll be off to bed about 7 p.m. so I can get a decent sleep and still get up in time for the 1st tee. Can't wait... I attended the 1989 Ryder Cup at The Belfry in England and have ever since felt the RC is my favorite sports event (maybe tied with the Huskies playing for a national title?).

Do you have a prediction for the final score?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
If I had to...HAD TO...bet I would say Euros 15-13

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think the Euros may have the best players at the top, but the U.S. could have more depth. But the Americans often underperform in team format.

For those new to this, for decades, the competition was the U.S. v. Britain. That was extremely one-sided, but when the opposition was expanded to the rest of Europe and brought in players like Seve and Bernhard Langer, things got very, very even.

Reaction Score
One makes a lot of choices in life. Some turn out well, and others, not so much.
I decided to wake up early today and watch the Ryder Cup. This is, so far, one of those "not so much".
About halfway through the first session, we are down 3, 3, 4 and 2 respectively.
Europe is playing ok. The USA, on the other hand, is playing what can only be described as awful. Numerous balls in the water. Some of which were inexplicable (e.g. From the fairway, hitting the water about 20 yards short of the green with a 5 iron). Terrible putting. I can't remember even one birdie for the U.S. so far. Just a terrible collective effort. If we can pull out even 1 point this morning, it will be a minor miracle.

Reaction Score
Looks to be a bit warm over there and should peak at low 80's consistently. US looks like it missed the espresso delivery but it's a marathon in this competition. Even though these guys are pros and used to travel it's an adjustment to make the trip (on Euro time for 2 weeks now). A little closer to "home" is a definite advantage for the Euros. Decent US crowd there.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
A serious 'WHOOPS'

0-4 in alternate shot....never led in any match.

A good thing...tons of points still out there.

Reaction Score
Looks to be a bit warm over there and should peak at low 80's consistently. US looks like it missed the espresso delivery but it's a marathon in this competition. Even though these guys are pros and used to travel it's an adjustment to make the trip (on Euro time for 2 weeks now). A little closer to "home" is a definite advantage for the Euros. Decent US crowd there.
A serious 'WHOOPS'

0-4 in alternate shot....never led in any match.

A good thing...tons of points still out there.
Very true, Blake, about all the points still left. Still, Zach can't feel too good with Burns well off form, Rickie Fowler clearly in over his head in the RC (as he's been each time... his was a head scratching pick by the captain).

American fans had better hope Spieth and JT are much better than their recent form.

Jimdish, your point about being closer to home is spot on, although most of the Euros live in the States. Could be the difference is that all 12 of them played the DP Tour's flagship event at Wentworth in England two weeks ago. Most of the US players hadn't played competition in five weeks before this morning.

Or, as often happens in sports, we might be throwing out all that conjecture if the US rallies to win this next match!

Enjoy, everyone.

Reaction Score
Disgraceful showing so far for the US. DJ should have been selected over the likes of JT and Fowler. I think Brooks selection (justified) is rubbing some of the players who have thin skin the wrong way. Europeans just seem better prepared and have way more energy.

Reaction Score
Disgraceful showing so far for the US. DJ should have been selected over the likes of JT and Fowler. I think Brooks selection (justified) is rubbing some of the players who have thin skin the wrong way. Europeans just seem better prepared and have way more energy.
JT won a half point by himself. He played with Spieth who didn't hit a fairway on the back 9. Difficult to watch the team collapse over the last 3 holes. What should have been at least a 2.5 -1.5 win for the USA in the afternoon session, winds up being a 1.5 - 2.5 loss.

Reaction Score
What could have been. I've played enough competitive golf and been around enough sports in general to know it's never 'should have been.';)
Almost anything could have been.
This was should have been.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rahm and Hovland were red hot. It's hard to win points when the opponent keeps chipping in and making eagles. Oh, and that McIlroy guy isn't too shabby either.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Euro's Big Three are a combined 4-0-2.

Mcllroy 2-0
Rahm and Hovland both 1-0-1.

Rahm and Hovland both
stole a half-point on 18 with incredible clutch putts.

Hovland's enthusiasm is entertaining...both sides showed a lot of
emotion during the 4 ball. Makes the Ryder Cup different...and enjoyable.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
9 and 1/2 to 2 and 1/2 after alternate shot on Saturday morning.
Team should be angry and embarrassed. 9 and 7 in one of the alternate shot matches???
USA needs minimum of 3 and 1/2 in four ball this afternoon. That would get them to down
6-10...they have won from that margin in singles...notably in Brookline maybe 1999.

So far....pretty much a disaster.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The heavyweight Koepka and Scheffler team lost in a historic 9 & 7 score. Unbelievable. They lost 9 holes and won 0. Hovland is really, really good.

In the afternoon, Patty Ice (Cantlay) won the last 3 holes to get the U.S. a full point, despite the crowd razzing him about not wearing a hat.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The heavyweight Koepka and Scheffler team lost in a historic 9 & 7 score. Unbelievable. They lost 9 holes and won 0. Hovland is really, really good.

In the afternoon, Patty Ice (Cantlay) won the last 3 holes to get the U.S. a full point, despite the crowd razzing him about not wearing a hat.
The commentators said the rumor was that he didn't wear a hat because he wasn't paid to do so. In his post round interview, he said it didn't fit. He does have a big round head LOL.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
For the record Cantlay did not wear a hat at home in 2021...he has been our best player...clutch down the stretch.

Super hard task tomorrow down by 6. I did like the late energy of the team as we closed well. I do 'think' that
they 'think' they can make history Sunday with 12 singles. Need 8 and 1/2 to tie and 'retain' the Ryder Cup.
Start off strong with Cantlay and Homa.

NBC 5:30AM to noon....hope it is competitive.

Reaction Score
The commentators said the rumor was that he didn't wear a hat because he wasn't paid to do so. In his post round interview, he said it didn't fit. He does have a big round head LOL.
For the record Cantlay did not wear a hat at home in 2021...he has been our best player...clutch down the stretch.

Super hard task tomorrow down by 6. I did like the late energy of the team as we closed well. I do 'think' that
they 'think' they can make history Sunday with 12 singles. Need 8 and 1/2 to tie and 'retain' the Ryder Cup.
Start off strong with Cantlay and Homa.

NBC 5:30AM to noon....hope it is competitive.
It's a five-point margin, Blake, and the U.S. will lead off with Scheffler tomorrow.

Cantlay's putts on the final three holes were remarkably clutch, but I'd give the nod to Homa as the U.S.'s best player over two days. Cantlay didn't show up much in losses as Schauffele's partner.

As for hat/no hat, it was interesting to see him wearing a hat in the car park shortly after the matches ended today. Apparently his head's not that big.

My biggest issue is with Joe LaCava, whom I've known well for 40 years, had pints with between rounds of the '89 Ryder Cup in England and respect as a great caddy for Couples, Woods and now Cantlay. Very unlike him, he stepped well outside the lines of decorum after Cantlay made his 18th hole putt by getting in Rory McIlroy's way when he was trying to line up his putt, and then proceeded to bark at Rory for quite a few seconds after Rory asked him to step aside. As some of you might have seen, his actions precipitated a near scuffle on the green and later, in the car park.

That one's on Joe. He lost his composure and got involved way beyond a caddy's role.

Be that as it may, there surely was lots of excitement today, great clutch play by Rosie, Cantlay, Rory and others. Should be fun tomorrow to see if the US can make it exciting.

Cheers, Blake. Thanks, as always.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom