Russ Smith to return to Louisville | The Boneyard

Russ Smith to return to Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does this hurt us with Bazz? Suddenly I am not so sure he will return. I just want the deadline to be here so we can finally know.

Reaction Score
Despite what the prodigal village idiot said yesterday, Shabazz was not going to be a first round pick this year, foot injury or not. So his competition is every point guard currently on an NBA roster, because he'd have to catch on somewhere. He's not getting a guaranteed deal, at least not this year. So I don't think the decisions of other college guards should have any impact on his decision. And Russ Smith is a second round guy anyway.

Reaction Score
Russ Smith is about the same or maybe even lower on NBA scouts rankings at PG.

He made a smart move.

Reaction Score
Russ Smith is about the same or maybe even lower on NBA scouts rankings at PG.

He made a smart move.
Is Russ Smitth really thought of as a potential PG in the NBA? I know he's small for an NBA 2, but at best he'd be a change of pace scoring guard off the bench ala Nate Robinson. If he truly wants to play PG he absolutely needs to come back to college and do that.

I think good move to stay in school, streaky volume shooters like him really need to refine their games to make it in the NBA. Look at how Marshon Brooks lost half his production and minutes after shooting less than 43% his rookie year. Russ Smith shot a career best 41% last season so he'd very likely go back to mid-30's shooting percentage in NBA. On the plus side he would have challenged the throne of current poster boy for bad shot selection, Austin Rivers.

Reaction Score
Is Russ Smitth really thought of as a potential PG in the NBA? I know he's small for an NBA 2, but at best he'd be a change of pace scoring guard off the bench ala Nate Robinson. If he truly wants to play PG he absolutely needs to come back to college and do that.

I think good move to stay in school, streaky volume shooters like him really need to refine their games to make it in the NBA. Look at how Marshon Brooks lost half his production and minutes after shooting less than 43% his rookie year. Russ Smith shot a career best 41% last season so he'd very likely go back to mid-30's shooting percentage in NBA. On the plus side he would have challenged the throne of current poster boy for bad shot selection, Austin Rivers.
I always thought Austin Rivers sucked. Don't know what people ever saw in him other than his last name. His dad is overrated too.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I think this is a smart move for Russ.

Staying is also a smart move for Bazz -- and would be even if he wasn't injured. People have questions about him, and he can use this season to answer them. His stock (2nd round) can't really go down. Frankly, being a 2nd round pick is often worse than going undrafted.

Reaction Score
Russ had more exposure recently than Bazz and although he was mistake prone in the FF he was more on the radar but dropping. Russ is quicker than Bazz and had some highlight games on National TV of late. I just don't see a demand this year for Bazz, he really needs to pump up his resume to avoid having to fight for his life to make a team. Lastly his injury is a problem creating some risk, consequently he's not worth a high draft pick.

Bazz should read Russ's tea leaves and stay.

Reaction Score
Just not sure if Russ can be a PG in the NBA. Smart move for him to come back. Needs to add 10-15 pounds without losing much quickness (easier said than done) and decide if he wants to be a slightly undersized PG in the NBA or a severely undersized SG in the NBA. Isn't an ideal fit for either position. With a career average of about 1:1 A/TO ratio, he needs to take better care of the ball his senior year and get his teammates involved. Can he impact the game without having to score every time he touches the ball?

Could see him as a 6th man type if he bulks up and improves his consistency. One thing undeniable about him is his ability to score in bunches. However, he also disappears from games for long stretches, which will be a concern.

Either way, I don't see this as any impact on Bazz, foot injury or not. I don't believe many scouts had him going in the first round. Unless you have family issues that require it, you'd be a fool to leave early without close to a guarantee of being a first round pick. Too much uncertainty in the NBA for second rounders.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Smith, like Bazz, had NO chance at 1st round and 2nd round is iffy at best. In fact, I think on leadership and game control, Bazz is rated higher. Very strange how Smith, his father and Coach P all were certain he was going - must have heard some real bad NBA prospect news in past 15 days

Reaction Score
Much as I love Bazz, I don't see him having a career in the NBA. He's better off enjoying his senior year, seeing where he ends up going in next year's draft, making the most of what is overwhelmingly likely to be a non-guaranteed contract, and then exploring overseas options.

Reaction Score
Agree Amory. Saw Bazz twice last week in Storrs. Still has the boot. Has not worked out for NBA teams at all. Posters are delusional if they think he can be drafted this year. Going to Europe like Brandon Jennings would not be wise but could be a possibility. Prob not though.

Reaction Score
I agree with all this. Bazz and Russ both still need work on already excellent games. I think Bazz can come out of this season as a mature game-manager with excellent scoring ability.

Russ.........lol, he did everything Pitino asked of him so far, which was to be Russdiculous while Hancock and Blackshear healed from shoulder surgeries. For my money, he offered one of the most exciting seasons it has ever been my good fortune to watch in an individual player - and I include the single worst basketball game ever played, lol, against Notre Dame.

In a nutshell, this is perfect:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wesw1963