Rule Question | The Boneyard

Rule Question

Reaction Score
In the St. Mary’s game UConn turned the ball over when Karaban ran the baseline (out of bounds) and then took a dribble handoff after stepping back in bounds.

In the Alabama game a dude from San Diego State just jumped out of bounds to save the ball, saved it to a dude who was himself falling out of bounds, and the guy falling out of bounds passed it to the guy who saved it just as he was stepping back in bounds.

So what’s the rule? These things seem inconsistent.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
In the St. Mary’s game UConn turned the ball over when Karaban ran the baseline (out of bounds) and then took a dribble handoff after stepping back in bounds.

In the Alabama game a dude from San Diego State just jumped out of bounds to save the ball, saved it to a dude who was himself falling out of bounds, and the guy falling out of bounds passed it to the guy who saved it just as he was stepping back in bounds.

I don't remember the Karaban play, but I'm guessing it was like the Jackson play against Arkansas. If you go out of bounds on your own you can't be the first player to touch the ball. The Alabama/San Diego State guy went out of bounds in the course of normal basketball play

Reaction Score
I don't remember the Karaban play, but I'm guessing it was like the Jackson play against Arkansas. If you go out of bounds on your own you can't be the first player to touch the ball. The Alabama/San Diego State guy went out of bounds in the course of normal basketball play
I don't think it's like football where you can't be the first to touch the ball or whatever.

I think the rule is just that you have to get 2 feet back in bounds and establish yourself in bounds before touching the ball.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's like football where you can't be the first to touch the ball or whatever.

I think the rule is just that you have to get 2 feet back in bounds and establish yourself in bounds before touching the ball.
I didn't realize it until recently but it is a thing

Play 1: Two players for team A set a double screen near the endline. A1, using the screen in an effort to lose a defender, intentionally runs around the screen in the out-of-bounds area behind the basket and returns to the playing court on the other side just beyond the three-point arc. After stepping back onto the court A1 is the first to receive a pass, shooting the ball for a successful three-point goal. Ruling 1: According to NFHS rule 9-3-3, a violation occurred and a whistle should be sounded the moment A1 stepped out of bounds. According to NCAA rule 9-3.1, since A1 stepped out of bounds voluntarily, the moment A1 first touched the ball after returning to the court, a violation occurred.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I didn't realize it until recently but it is a thing

Play 1: Two players for team A set a double screen near the endline. A1, using the screen in an effort to lose a defender, intentionally runs around the screen in the out-of-bounds area behind the basket and returns to the playing court on the other side just beyond the three-point arc. After stepping back onto the court A1 is the first to receive a pass, shooting the ball for a successful three-point goal. Ruling 1: According to NFHS rule 9-3-3, a violation occurred and a whistle should be sounded the moment A1 stepped out of bounds. According to NCAA rule 9-3.1, since A1 stepped out of bounds voluntarily, the moment A1 first touched the ball after returning to the court, a violation occurred.

There was some viral HS video years ago showing an inbound play under the hoop. One of the offensive players ran out a door behind the hoop, down the hallway and back in a door on the other side to catch the ball.

I can't remember if it was allowed, but it sure seemed like it shouldn't have been.

Reaction Score

Karaban was still out of bounds because the ref thought his trailing foot hadn’t come off the ground. It had and it was a bad call. But at regular speed it’s hard to see everything. It’s not a rule inconsistency. It’s ref inconsistency.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom