Rudy Gay Is A Superstar | The Boneyard

Rudy Gay Is A Superstar

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

huskymagic

Well fellow boneyarders Rudy Gay is proving me, Shaq, and others right when they say Rudy Gay is a superstar and is one of the most talented players in the NBA.

He hit 2 huge threes with 20 seconds to go last night against the Clips and barely missed the game winner. If Memphis had a good coach the Grizzlies should be up 3-0 in this series instead of being down 2-1 to the Clippers. Memphis needs to play through Rudy first and then their big guys if they want to be a legit title contender like they can be. Lionel Hollins is to blame not only for the losses but by allowing OJ Mayo to ruin the game for Memphis by shooting brick after brick and turnover the ball almost every time he did anything.

RUDY GAY BEAST MODE

Reaction Score
I think Rudy is being held back because of the team/market he plays. He does not get the exposure, and because of that he doesnt get the respect he deserves. Right now Rudy Gay is probably Uconns best NBA player. I was hoping he would sign with somebody else when he was a free agent in 2010 but i guess he likes Memphis. I cant see them ever getting past the 2nd round with all the great teams in the western conference.

Reaction Score
Barely missing the game winner confirms he's a superstar?

I like Rudy, but I dont know how you can watch this Grizzlies team against the Clippers and conclude that they should run the offense through him. Did you watch a second of the San Antonio series last year?

Reaction Score
Rudy was a restricted free agent, meaning the Grizz had the ability to match whatever deal got thrown at him, and seeing as how they offered him a max deal before he could even visit other teams, they weren't going to let him go. The Grizzlies don't get a lot of attention but he's in a great situation right now, not sure how you can be upset that he's in Memphis when they are one of the better young squads in the league. Much better than being with say, the Nets, who were likely to offer him a deal after they struck out on so many big name free agents. Rudy's the best current UConn alumn but he's definitely not a superstar and the next step for him is to learn how to establish post position. There's no reason why when you're being guarded by Randy Foye you can't seal him up and post him every single time.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think Rudy is being held back because of the team/market he plays. He does not get the exposure, and because of that he doesnt get the respect he deserves. Right now Rudy Gay is probably Uconns best NBA player. I was hoping he would sign with somebody else when he was a free agent in 2010 but i guess he likes Memphis. I cant see them ever getting past the 2nd round with all the great teams in the western conference.

They took Oklahoma City to a game 7 in the second round last year and could have won the series.

A lot of the Western Conference is aging between LA, San Antonio and Dallas whereas Memphis is young and along with Oklahoma City are poised to be good going forward into the future.

Reaction Score

I like Rudy, but I dont know how you can watch this Grizzlies team against the Clippers and conclude that they should run the offense through him. Did you watch a second of the San Antonio series last year?

It should probably be Gasol, but he's being pushed out of the low post far too often and in the high post he's been getting stripped of the ball like crazy. Randolph is a shell of what he was last year tho with his injured knee, missing bunnies and wasting too many possessions by holding onto the ball to the end of the shot clock and going one on one.

H

huskymagic

Rudy Gay is UCONN's most talented player ever and is currently the best NBA player we have. Rip Hamiltion has been the most successful UCONN alum by winning a title at UCONN and in the NBA. Ray Allen has been our most productive NBA player, NBA champ, and a future Hall of Famer.

P.S. I am a Spurs fan in the NBA but nevertheless Memphis is really the second best team in the West after OKC. Popovich and the Spurs are rooting big time for the Clippers to win that series as they know they can beat the Clips easily. Memphis has a bright future but they need to get a good 2 guard to replace the bum OJ Mayo and get a coach that plays through Rudy Gay first and not Zach Randolph.

H

huskymagic

No the reason he is a superstar is because of his unique of great size, strength, athleticism, and the ease at which he plays basketball barely even breaking a sweat is why I have said he is easily the most talented player in the NBA along with Lebron. Rudy is the Roger Federer of basketball he plays with a grace, a style, and effortlessness that is unseen in the NBA.

P.S. The only reason that Zach Randolph was good against the Spurs last year was because they werent really that good and were undersized in the post with Duncan having to guard Marc Gasol and Zebo having his way with a smaller DeJuan Blair. This is precisely the reason Popovich went out and got Boris Diaw to match up muscle with muscle or in this case fat with fat with guys like Zebo in the playoffs. If Hollins wasnt such an idiot by allowing OJ mayo to ruin games and forcing everything in the post instead of playing through Rudy first and in the post second, Memphis would be up 3-0 right now and my team the Spurs would be sweating big time. Right now Pop, Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili are having a house party watching Memphis blow games and possibly this series away.

Reaction Score
No the reason he is a superstar is because of his unique of great size, strength, athleticism, and the ease at which he plays basketball barely even breaking a sweat is why I have said he is easily the most talented player in the NBA along with Lebron. Rudy is the Roger Federer of basketball he plays with a grace, a style, and effortlessness that is unseen in the NBA.

Too crazy to even respond to. If all this is true maybe breaking a sweat would come in handy.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I've always felt him and danny granger are underrated throughout the league, kevin love also

Reaction Score
Rudy is a superstar player.

+1. Rudy's very good, he just hasn't managed to make that step from good to great yet. He'll still get you an efficient 20 points per night to go along with 6 rebounds, and I think he can be the second best player on a championship team in the right situation.

But there are only nine "superstars" in the league right now, in my mind. LeBron, Durant, Paul, Wade, Rose, Kobe, Dirk, Dwight, and K-Love.

Rudy's probably top 25 with time to jump into the top 15 if he makes the necessary improvements to his game over the off-season.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Wow there are so many ridiculous thoughts (I guess we can call them thoughts - it could just be random synapses firing) in this thread it's hard to know where to begin.

I guess the first is the self aggrandizing putting yourself in their with Shaq for you predictive powers. I'm pretty sure lots of people thought Rudy Gay would be a very good NBA player. You aren't Nostradamus for this wild thought that nobody else had.

Second it's kind of hard to call the guy who was was 19th in the league in scoring (19ppg), 44th in rebounds (6.4rpg), 75th shooting%, and 113th in 3pt% a superstar. He's good, really good, but not close to superstar status.

Putting him above Ray Allen as the most talented player to come out of UConn shows an incredible lack of perspective. Ray has made more 3 pointers than anybody in NBA history. That takes a fair amount of talent. Rudy will never catch him in the scoring column either.

Finally saying he is the 2nd most talented player in the league is simply moronic.

But then again, you are the guy who thinks Alex would have been a clear cut first round pick if he came out this year.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's that ridiculous to call Rudy Gay the most talented player to ever come out of UConn. Obviously Ray Allen has been the most productive, but "best" doesn't always equate to "most talented". Ray Allen probably doesn't have the overall game that Rudy has. Ray is obviously more than just a spot up shooter, but I don't think he can create his own shot the way Rudy can, even in his prime.

If Rudy can add some element of a post game to his offensive game, he could be one of the better one on one players in the league, if he isn't already. Do I think he'll ever be as good as Ray? No. Ray is as hard a worker as you'll find in professional sports, and he has mastered his craft about as well as anyone in the history of the game. I think you could argue Rudy has more natural gifts though.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I don't think it's that ridiculous to call Rudy Gay the most talented player to ever come out of UConn. Obviously Ray Allen has been the most productive, but "best" doesn't always equate to "most talented". Ray Allen probably doesn't have the overall game that Rudy has. Ray is obviously more than just a spot up shooter, but I don't think he can create his own shot the way Rudy can, even in his prime.

If Rudy can add some element of a post game to his offensive game, he could be one of the better one on one players in the league, if he isn't already. Do I think he'll ever be as good as Ray? No. Ray is as hard a worker as you'll find in professional sports, and he has mastered his craft about as well as anyone in the history of the game. I think you could argue Rudy has more natural gifts though.
Being more athletic does not make him more talented. Talent has lots of facets other than running and jumping. Shooting is a talent and that's where Ray blows past Rudy on the talent meter. I happily give you the nod on Rudy is the most athletic player to ever come out of UConn.

H

huskymagic

+1. Rudy's very good, he just hasn't managed to make that step from good to great yet. He'll still get you an efficient 20 points per night to go along with 6 rebounds, and I think he can be the second best player on a championship team in the right situation.

But there are only nine "superstars" in the league right now, in my mind. LeBron, Durant, Paul, Wade, Rose, Kobe, Dirk, Dwight, and K-Love.

Rudy's probably top 25 with time to jump into the top 15 if he makes the necessary improvements to his game over the off-season.

I agree with your nine superstar list but add Rudy and that will make it a top 10. You do realize that Memphis is pretty much a championship level team they have the players to win a title and Rudy is their best player. The top teams in the West moving forwards are OKC, Memphis, and Denver and if Memphis tarted playing more with Rudy and he started being more assertive he can easily be a top 5-10 scorer and lead this Memphis team to a title.

H

huskymagic

Being more athletic does not make him more talented. Talent has lots of facets other than running and jumping. Shooting is a talent and that's where Ray blows past Rudy on the talent meter. I happily give you the nod on Rudy is the most athletic player to ever come out of UConn.

I know you dont like a lot of things I say but even you know that Rudy is overall the most talented player in UCONN history. I am not talking about just athleticism or speed, but overall game. Also, Rudy can shoot the ball did you watch last night's game. Rudy has great form and release on his jumper that is better than Ray Allen's. Being the most talented player doesnt mean that you will have the best career, which is why I said Rip is the most productive UCONN alum winning titles in college and in the NBA while Ray has been our most productive NBA player.

P.S. If Rudy and Ray in his prime played one on one against each other Rudy would still win. My point wasnt even about comparing him to Ray Allen but to say that he is the most talented player in the league and if he becomes more assertive and Memphis starts realizing that they need to play through him first and the post second Memphis is capable of winning a championship within the next 2-3 years.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
You
Obviously Ray Allen has been the most productive, but "best" doesn't always equate to "most talented". Ray Allen probably doesn't have the overall game that Rudy has. Ray is obviously more than just a spot up shooter, but I don't think he can create his own shot the way Rudy can, even in his prime.

You apparently didn't see very much of Ray in his prime. Then again, he toiled in markets you really had to work to find coverage of, in Milwaukee and Seattle. Ray in his prime was unreal.

Reaction Score
I love Rudy. I love his game, his atheltism and having meet him a few times I love him as a person. Some may say I have a little too much of a man crush on him.

So when I say the OP is embarrassing himself with these Rudy statements it means a lot.

Rudy is a great player, hes probably now a star in the NBA but you putting him ahead of Ray and putting him ahead of Durant is down right stupid.

How many all-star games has Rudy been too?

Reaction Score
You

You apparently didn't see very much of Ray in his prime. Then again, he toiled in markets you really had to work to find coverage of, in Milwaukee and Seattle. Ray in his prime was unreal.

^^^^Exactly.^^^^I hate having to say this every year around here: Ray was ridiculous in his prime. If you think Rudy eclipses Ray in Milwaukee or Seattle, you didn't see it or were too young to get it. Ray at 36 is pretty good. Most guys are totally done at this point. Dominique Wilkins is one of the greatest players ever and he was about the same as Ray at 36 when he played for the Celtics. Ray has had a lot of leg problems in the last 4-5 years. Don't get me wrong, I love Rudy, but Ray was a very rare talent whose prime was spent off television for the most part. Rudy isn't there yet.

Reaction Score
Rudy is great, but he has a ways to go before he gets to the level that Ray was it in Milwaukee and Seattle. Absolutely no content as to who is currently the top UConn alumni currently in the NBA though. Rudy wins that hands down.

Reaction Score
Ray put up 52 in a playoff game with the Bulls while with Boston. He put up 46 in a pivotal road playoff game at Sacramento with the Sonics, and he had 43 in a must-win game 6 in the ECF with Milwaukee.

All three of those performances were just frickin' unreal. The 52 came in an overtime loss, so it's largely forgotten. The 46 came when the Sonics trailed by 19 in the second half on the verge of seeing the series tied 2-2, and he just went gonzo, hitting a ridiculous three to seal it late with Brad Miller draped on him. The 43 with Milwaukee included a personal 17-0 run at one point - when he scored 17 straight Milwaukee points (while the Sixers scored zero) - I've never seen anything like it. Only problem is that he had those games in Sacramento and Milwaukee, while Reggie Miller was flashing the choke sign at Spike Lee in NYC, so people don't remember. In the playoff run with Milwaukee, he averaged 25-6-6 over a span of 17 games while shooting almost 50 percent from three.

Rudy's second three yesterday was ridiculous, and he couldn't really be expected to make that last shot after double-clutching (they probably shouldn't have wasted time running that play, should have just gone right to the rim). But he has a long way to go to belong in the conversation with Ray.

Reaction Score
Well fellow boneyarders Rudy Gay is proving me, Shaq, and others right when they say Rudy Gay is a superstar and is one of the most talented players in the NBA.

He hit 2 huge threes with 20 seconds to go last night against the Clips and barely missed the game winner. If Memphis had a good coach the Grizzlies should be up 3-0 in this series instead of being down 2-1 to the Clippers. Memphis needs to play through Rudy first and then their big guys if they want to be a legit title contender like they can be. Lionel Hollins is to blame not only for the losses but by allowing OJ Mayo to ruin the game for Memphis by shooting brick after brick and turnover the ball almost every time he did anything.

RUDY GAY BEAST MODE
Really?!! Why are we responding to this guy? Rudy is just below Superstar level. He's a very good, talented young player. He hasn't even been an All-Star. He was very up and down, and averaged a decent 19 ppg this year. This is a poster who, unless you are a tremendous athlete, you suck. He would be a very good NBA GM on draft day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom