RP Free Throw Shooting | The Boneyard

RP Free Throw Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One very small positive we can take from this game was RP going 4-4 from the strike. In the last 3 games (since changing his pre shot approach) Rodney has gone 14-17 (82%) from the line. Free throw shooting has been a MAJOR flaw in his game this year and at NC State and this is a very positive sign of potential progress. If he can hit 70%+ it will make him a much more valuable player next year.

C

Chief00

I like Doris Burke's comment about Larry Bird saying if you miss foul shots it means you haven't put in the work.
Actually a guy on his HS team, who never stayed after practice to work individually on his shooting caused Bird's team the state championship with missed foul shots in the state tournament. According to legend Bird never spoke to that guy again. Not because he missed the shots but because he did not put himself in position to be successful through hard work.
When Calhoun, who is know for having players backs, finally came clean publicly on Dyson - he said no one can question his toughness but it's fair to look at his game prep compared to past UConn greats. Working out on his own on shooting, knowing details in running plays, scouting reports on opponents and getting sleep the night before games.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Chief00 said:
. When Calhoun, who is know for having players backs, finally came clean publicly on Dyson - he said no one can question his toughness but it's fair to look at his game prep compared to past UConn greats.

Hey...don't take this the wrong way, but .

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Rodney's shot is different nearly every time he puts one up. If you start with bad form, practice can only help so much. He seems to shoot the ball from the palm of his hand and lacks real fingertip control that could give his shot consistency and touch. Sometimes he shoots with an arc on his shot, but more often is flat. Sometimes (when wide open), he will shoot from a balanced, straight on position, but too often he is drifting every which way. I hope it's nerves that causes him to be so inconsistent, but his mechanics are not good and not consistent.

I would love to see them bring back Blaney or someone as a guest coach to rework the shooting mechanics with Rodney if possible. He really helped Kemba, but Kemba's form was better to start with so that might make the difference. For example, I doubt Samuel could really change his shot at this point as he just doesn't seem to be wired for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom