Round 2 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Round 2

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
As reported by bballnut90 above, Crooks has a great attitude. There was another play when she lost the ball out of bounds and fell face down trying to retrieve it. She was laughing when she got up. Also, she was all hugs and smiles in the handshake line congratulating the Stanford players. How often do you see that from a player on the losing team?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Can someone explain why Tara was so upset after Crooks fouled out that she ran onto the court to yell at (apparently) one of her own players?

Reaction Score
Can someone explain why Tara was so upset after Crooks fouled out that she ran onto the court to yell at (apparently) one of her own players?
I can’t be certain, but I think that she thought the refs didn’t call Crooks for the foul. She immediately calmed down when she saw that Crooks was called for the foul.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
I personally thought she was telling the player guarding Emily Ryan -- think it was Agara? -- not to help off of her on defense. Ryan had just been left open for three because Agara had stayed in the post to help deny the entry pass to Crooks.

Reaction Score
Even in a great game, we get a reminder the sport desperately needs officiating to catch up to the level of play. A coach running 15 feet onto the court should be an easy T decision.

Reaction Score
Crooks vs Brinks and Iriafen reminded me of watching the South Carolina men, who had a 6'7, 280 transfer 5th year post. He never learned to compensate for his ground-bound game because he spent four seasons in a small conference where he could overpower people, so you'd often see him turn and shoot over his shoulder into the wrists and elbows of teams with elite defensive posts.

Crooks definitely has not yet learned to deal with elite defenders with length, but she's only a freshman. From everything I've heard and seen of her attitude, I would expect she will figure out some tricks over the next few years. Also, she was facing SR and JR high lottery picks. She might go a full season or more before facing two players with that combination of size, ability, and experience.

Reaction Score
Poor taste or fair game?

Context (maybe unintended) is that Georgia Amoore and Liz Kitley host a podcast by that name.

View attachment 98202

I think it would be funny and fair game, but the fact that one of the “queens of Cassell” suffered a career ending injury does make it a little bit of a bummer. Maybe I’m just too sensitive.

The Kitley sobbing shots immediately after the game made me sad. Really feel for that young lady.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Crooks has a very nice little fall away / turn around shot that she utilized a ton this season to shoot over Ayoka Lee for example. She kept leaving it short yesterday the couple times she tried it. Even so I thought she could have gone to it a few more times to get a cleaner look at the basket. However, I think she was being coached to take it up strong. While she got stuffed several times, she succeeded at getting Brink and Iriafen into early foul trouble. This had a major impact on keeping ISU in the game. Ultimately Crooks fouled Brink out of the game without Brink making much of a positive impact on the game which was huge. Iriafen was able to stay more disciplined in the 2nd half, and her career night offensively won them the game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I personally thought she was telling the player guarding Emily Ryan -- think it was Agara? -- not to help off of her on defense. Ryan had just been left open for three because Agara had stayed in the post to help deny the entry pass to Crooks.
Ryan had a phenomenal game, but I thought the Stanford defense on her was often poor. One in particular that stood out. She already had 25 points or so. A Stanford defender went under a screen, leaving her wide open to drill a 3. Why in the world would you do that?

Reaction Score
Ryan had a phenomenal game, but I thought the Stanford defense on her was often poor. One in particular that stood out. She already had 25 points or so. A Stanford defender went under a screen, leaving her wide open to drill a 3. Why in the world would you do that?
There also were times Stanford seemed content in allowing her to dribble around while setting up the offence. When they were guarding her closely, they were much more effective. Ryan has been called for offensive fouls several times this year. Stanford was able to draw a couple last night. Thought they would continue to do so.

Reaction Score
Sweet 16
Min-Max Teams

PAC 3-6
ACC 2-4
SEC 2-3
B12 2-5
BiG 0-2
Oth 0-3

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Didn't watch, but from glancing at score board doesn't appear Notre Dame had much trouble with Ole Miss. Hidalgo, Citron and Westbeld matched Ole Miss' scoring just between the 3 of them. Add in Ole Miss turned it over 22 times and it's lights out.

Reaction Score
What are you doing? You have apparently usurped my jinx powers.
Maybe you’re like the wonder twins.

IMG_6846.jpeg

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I did a good job of refraining from posting until it was over. Now we can officially start the annual "Wait til next year" festival for Tennessee. I almost bought in this year. They did nearly beat South Carolina. Who am I kidding, I still didn't think they would get far in the Tourney. What's the confidence level in Coach Harper? Just about to turn the corner? Just needs another year or 2 or 3?

Reaction Score
Harper is safe here in Volunteer Land. I'm just glad we beat UT as I started getting texts right before Kamilla made the 3 point shot in the SEC tournament. A lot of crow was eaten in that 3 minute window....

NC State has to be the shocker so far in the tournament. I did not think they would get this far. Congrats to them. I like their coach....He seems to do more with less...Is that accurate? I don't keep up with ACC women's basketball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Harper is safe here in Volunteer Land. I'm just glad we beat UT as I starting getting texts right before Kamilla made the 3 point shot in the SEC tournament. A lot of crow was eaten in that 3 minute window....

NC State has to be the shocker so far in the tournament. I did not think they would get this far. Congrats to them. I like their coach....He seems to do more with less...Is that accurate? I don't keep up with ACC women's basketball.
I hope Harper does get it turned around personally. Always liked her.

Not sure why State is a shocker, the Pack is a 3 seed. Now preseason State was unranked but at this point I think State’s a known commodity. Your assessment of Wes Moore is correct I’d say. He historically has had teams that are greater preforming than the sum of their individual parts.

Good luck to Coach Harper’s and the Vols next year.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Didn't watch, but from glancing at score board doesn't appear Notre Dame had much trouble with Ole Miss. Hidalgo, Citron and Westbeld matched Ole Miss' scoring just between the 3 of them. Add in Ole Miss turned it over 22 times and it's lights out.
I don't think anyone did, lol.

My favorite part of March Madness is soaking up all the reaction after a big win. Not much reaction after a Monday matinee where the victorious team controlled the game throughout!

Funny how quickly all those Ole Miss upset picks turned into "Ho hum, 2 seed wins comfortably".

(Of course, I was at work, so I couldn't watch either :oops:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom