Rocket Watts? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rocket Watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So by all means let's bring in a combo guard who is a much worse shooter.
Oh I don't think we should. I'm just saying when you throw out an aggregate percentage like that it's not really telling the whole story.

Reaction Score
Because he’s a bad shooter.
But he's a good shooter (from the FT line). And we know that FT shooting is more predictive of future 3pt shooting than actual 3pt shooting. And his form looks fine.

Is Bouk a bad shooter?

Reaction Score
RJ was 4th in the Big East in assists and every game there were non-assists because of our inability to make layups and catch hot passes near the rim.
Yes, and when you watch him play basketball it's easy to see he's not really a point guard. Just like when you watch Kadary Richmond play it's easy to see he is a point guard, despite some people calling him a forward because he's 6'5". RJ just doesn't have a point guard mentality. He's a short shooting guard who sometimes makes plays for others. Not saying he's a bad player or anything.

Reaction Score
Yes, and when you watch him play basketball it's easy to see he's not really a point guard. Just like when you watch Kadary Richmond play it's easy to see he is a point guard, despite some people calling him a forward because he's 6'5". RJ just doesn't have a point guard mentality. He's a short shooting guard who sometimes makes plays for others. Not saying he's a bad player or anything.
I watched every game this season and he was a point guard.

Reaction Score
Watts would be an immediate upgrade to Gaffney, not the shooter we need but I don't think he scratched the surface of his potential at MSU

Reaction Score

I think your take on Cole is pretty ridiculous, to be honest. When you're confronted with his shooting stats, you say they don't count. When someone else points out that he's fourth in the league in assists, you say that number doesn't count either. It's silly.

Reaction Score
I think your take on Cole is pretty ridiculous, to be honest. When you're confronted with his shooting stats, you say they don't count. When someone else points out that he's fourth in the league in assists, you say that number doesn't count either. It's silly.
I think the stats count, I just don't think there is as big a correlation between assists and being a point guard as there is with shooting percentages and being a good shooter.

RJ averaged more assists per game this year than El-Amin did when we won the NC, but he's not 50% of the point guard Khalid was. Point guard is different, there's stuff with that position that goes beyond stats. It's not like shooting.

Reaction Score
I think the stats count, I just don't think there is as big a correlation between assists and being a point guard as there is with shooting percentages and being a good shooter.

RJ averaged more assists per game this year than El-Amin did when we won the NC, but he's not 50% of the point guard Khalid was. Point guard is different, there's stuff with that position that goes beyond stats. It's not like shooting.

I agree with this. It is more complex than solely looking at stats. In particular, we lack a creative player that gets in the lane and makes things happen for everyone else. We also lack a shooter that can get his shot off the dribble.

Watts is a good player whom we should absolutely want. I think we are kind of poo-pooing certain guys because they aren't great shooters. In reality, you really need to get the best players you can, whether they solve the shooting issue or not. We aren't going to load up on one trick pony shooters and see big results. I'm more interested in the Rocket/Fatts type guys because they can make things happen and get to the rim, which will give our existing guys (Cole, Gaff, Martin, Hawkins etc.) better looks. Hopefully, between a lot of practice in the offseason and a teammate or two that can create, these guys shoot it better.

Reaction Score
Watts would be a great addition to our backcourt depth - add in Polley and we can run a lot of different lineups and be really hard to guard. Have to remember, Diggins and Hawkins are going to go through a lot of growing pains, an experienced guard who is athletic and great on D would be a great addition.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Jalen Gaffney hit an opposing player in the face with a basketball because he couldnt control his dribble.
Yeah, Watts would definitely be an additional reliable ball handler under pressure which as of Bouks announcement, Cole is our only player that fits that bill.

If Watts can improve his shooting (obviously a big if) he can occupy a unique space of a scorer-distributor who can get his own shot. We just saw how big that can be in March.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Watts would definitely be an additional reliable ball handler under pressure which as of Bouks announcement, Cole is our only player that fits that bill.

If Watts can improve his shooting (obviously a big if) he can occupy a unique space of a scorer-distributor who can get his own shot. We just saw how big that can be in March.
Exactly. We need someone that can create their own shot (or create plays) if we want to win big games. His shooting % isn't great, but he can at least make things happen and open things up for our other guys.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is not as good as Rocket Watts. What the heck are y’all smoking

Gaffney: 6.1/1.5/1.5. 19mins, 41% from the field, 36% from 3.

Rocket: 7.7/1.7/2.7. 23 mins, 34% from the field, 25% from 3.

Rocket is still probably the better player because he can handle the ball more, but it's hardly cut and dry. The kids is a terrible, terrible, terrible scorer. Hard pass.

Should we talk about defense? Rocket had 0.1 (yes, that is not a typo) steals per game, 0.3 per 40. Gaffney had 0.8 per game, 1.6 per 40.

Offensive rating? 88 vs 110, guess whose was above 100?

Defensive rating? 111 vs 101, guess whose was better again?

Reaction Score

Rocket is still probably the better player because he can handle the ball more, but it's hardly cut and dry. The kids is a terrible, terrible, terrible scorer.
I go eye test on this one. Rocket Watts is just a more fluent basketball player. Gaffney can barely dribble without his back to the defender half of the time. We need another lead guard who can get into the paint, I can’t stress this enough. Watts is going to be one of those guys who goes to a less prestigious school and does excellent. A la the kid that transferred from Kansas to Houston. His last name escapes me

Reaction Score

Rocket is still probably the better player because he can handle the ball more, but it's hardly cut and dry. The kids is a terrible, terrible, terrible scorer.
Agree with you on the stats...but they played much different roles and Watts has more unique intangibles that we don't have on the team in general. I'm not comparing him and Gaffney, I'm saying he would be a great piece to add.

Reaction Score

Rocket scored 21 points against Michigan, and 20 against Duke. I love Jalen, but if he could have games like that I'd personally build him a statue.

Rocket reminds me of Glynn Watson from Nebraska. Spends his first two years as a combo guard and shows great potential as a scorer, then Tim MIles insists he become a more traditional point guard and his scoring efficiency tanks.

WIth Dan's personality and energy, I really think that if we got Rocket to come here and play the off-guard next to Cole he can be a great addition. Fit matters.

Reaction Score
I go eye test on this one. Rocket Watts is just a more fluent basketball player. Gaffney can barely dribble without his back to the defender half of the time. We need another lead guard who can get into the paint, I can’t stress this enough. Watts is going to be one of those guys who goes to a less prestigious school and does excellent. A la the kid that transferred from Kansas to Houston. His last name escapes me
If he came here he would be going to a better team not a worse one .

Reaction Score
I go eye test on this one. Rocket Watts is just a more fluent basketball player. Gaffney can barely dribble without his back to the defender half of the time. We need another lead guard who can get into the paint, I can’t stress this enough. Watts is going to be one of those guys who goes to a less prestigious school and does excellent. A la the kid that transferred from Kansas to Houston.

It's certainly possible. I just don't see how anyone can be excited about a kid who shoots 25% from 3. It isn't a small sample size. Especially on a team that already has Jackson, Rese, Sanogo, Akok, Johnson, and maybe Diggins on the roster playing perimeter positions. All of whom either can't shoot, or are questionable at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom