Rob Dauster: UConn "Thoroughly Mediocre" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rob Dauster: UConn "Thoroughly Mediocre"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Take Napier away and make Boatright the PG. Then what's out record? Still better than .500. Maybe another couple of loses. IMHO, we're still in top 40. So I think calling the rest of the team mediocre is harsh.

You really think we are top 40 without Bazz? IMO we would not even be close to that. I would probably put us in the top 75 but honestly I'm not sure we would even make that. Maryland, Indiana, BC, Harvard and Florida all would have been losses more times than not without Napier. I'm not saying the other guys are bad but if you take away Bazz our team is mediocre. Daniels has been inconsistent and Boatright has struggled a bit shooting the ball this year. Bazz controls every single part of the game when he is in and the squad would be lost without his leadership and skill.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, Bazz is the only guy who is a no doubt NBA player on this team. If DD gets stronger/more consistent he could carve out a career. If Amida improves as we all think, he could have a nice career but no one else is a major talent. Some people compared us to Cuse, MSU, Zona... Yeah take away their point guard and they are not nearly as good. But each of those teams has multiple future NBA players. In my opinion, we do not. Mediocre is not a great word. The team isn't mediocre, but the talent may be just that. All the more a testament to how well Bazz has played, the improvement in KO, and the relative cohesion between our secondary (mediocre?) guys.

Reaction Score
Take Kemba off the championship team and what were they. Winning margins last 11 games were for four of them 1 or 2 points, another of 3 and one of 5. So for almost half of wins came down to one possession - champs vs. mediocre is very fine line. This was a team with 2 freshman NBA type players (Lamb and think Bazz) and ok front line defense/rebounding.
Take that kid off Creighton or the freshman off Duke and see where they would be.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Mediocre would describe their play in Texas, but outside of that stretch I think it's a bit much to say. What do you guys think?
Houston is nowhere close to mediocre.

Besides losing to SMU, beating Indiana by 1, in what is our home away from home, is fairly mediocre. Beating Maryland by 1 is quite mediocre. Beating BC by 2 at home is thoroughly mediocre. Blowing a big lead at home to Stanford is below mediocre. I won't take the UF and Memphis games away, but without DD going off against a truly good opponent for the first and only time this season, and Bazz carrying us with 26 and hitting the last second prayer, we're out of the tournament already.

Speaking of which, what do we really have w/o Bazz? I absolutely love this team, but let's be real here we have: a 5'10 pg who isn't really a pg yet, a deeply slumping Omar, a just-maybe-soon-hopefully-emerge-please? DD, and a front court whose good games you could count on one hand. A mediocre team considers a Sweet Sixteen a good season, and that's realistically where we are at right now. And even that will take a little luck with the seeding.

JMO.

Reaction Score
If we did not have Bazz this year, everyone progresses differently. We have no way to know if Boat did always have the ball in the hand, and Deandre is the true vocal point of the offense, if they'd rise to the occasion and pressure

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Take Kemba off the championship team and what were they. Winning margins last 11 games were for four of them 1 or 2 points, another of 3 and one of 5. So for almost half of wins came down to one possession - champs vs. mediocre is very fine line. This was a team with 2 freshman NBA type players (Lamb and think Bazz) and ok front line defense/rebounding.

Take that kid off Creighton or the freshman off Duke and see where they would be.
Besides AO waking up at just the right time, I think the rest of the 2011 team was pretty mediocre at the time. That's what made that season such a miracle, and made Kemba such a legend. He led the team in every stat except blocks and rebounds (although still 5.5, not far off Bazz, and Kemba had AO to grab boards). Maybe Bazz will be the next Kemba and lead us to a championship. Would you not be just as amazed and surprised as with Kemba if that were to happen? I think, as of 1/28, when this question was asked, we would all be thoroughly shocked if we won a NC.

Reaction Score
Besides AO waking up at just the right time, I think the rest of the 2011 team was pretty mediocre at the time. That's what made that season such a miracle, and made Kemba such a legend. He led the team in every stat except blocks and rebounds (although still 5.5, not far off Bazz, and Kemba had AO to grab boards). Maybe Bazz will be the next Kemba and lead us to a championship. Would you not be just as amazed and surprised as with Kemba if that were to happen? I think, as of 1/28, when this question was asked, we would all be thoroughly shocked if we won a NC.

The 2011 team had one bad month, and that month included an overtime loss to Marquette without Calhoun coaching.

On January 28th of 2011, we were 17-2 and ranked 5th in the country. I think most people on the board thought we were pretty good at that point.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That one bad month was February (4-7 from 1/28-3/5). Not exactly the month a basketball team wants to tank. I remember the '10-'11 team doing it with smoke and mirrors during the first part of the season. They were 4-2 vs. ranked opponents and 3-1 vs. the top 10. Two of those wins were in Maui, which sort of indicates early mis-rankings before the season starts to play itself out. For example, Michigan State was the #2 team in the country to start the year. They ended up falling out of the top 25 and a 10 seed losing to #7 UCLA in the first round. While Kentucky made the Final 4, they did it as a 4 Seed and went from #11 in Maui to #20, entering the SEC Tournament.

I remember thinking if an opponent neutralizes Walker, UConn is in trouble, which is basically what happened during February, extended.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
With Daniels injury I hope Facey finally gets his chance, you never know.
Agree, but I hope that Daniels can fight through it both because I like what he brings to the table and because it might heighten his desire to give his all every play.

Reaction Score
That one bad month was February (4-7 from 1/28-3/5). Not exactly the month a basketball team wants to tank. I remember the '10-'11 team doing it with smoke and mirrors during the first part of the season. They were 4-2 vs. ranked opponents and 3-1 vs. the top 10. Two of those wins were in Maui, which sort of indicates early mis-rankings before the season starts to play itself out. For example, Michigan State was the #2 team in the country to start the year. They ended up falling out of the top 25 and a 10 seed losing to #7 UCLA in the first round. While Kentucky made the Final 4, they did it as a 4 Seed and went from #11 in Maui to #20, entering the SEC Tournament.

I remember thinking if an opponent neutralizes Walker, UConn is in trouble, which is basically what happened during February, extended.

That's the case with most teams. You take out their best player and they're not nearly as good.

They still spent a large portion of that year in the top 10, that can't all be "smoke and mirrors".

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Maybe Bazz will be the next Kemba and lead us to a championship. Would you not be just as amazed and surprised as with Kemba if that were to happen? I think, as of 1/28, when this question was asked, we would all be thoroughly shocked if we won a NC.

Finally, a valid enough use of the word "thoroughly," which almost every upset reply has ignored. If it weren't published writing, you'd call Dauster a troll. Really, he's just bad with adverbs. Either way, too many hooks in too many mouths. Enough.

Husky25

Reaction Score
That's the case with most teams. You take out their best player and they're not nearly as good.

They still spent a large portion of that year in the top 10, that can't all be "smoke and mirrors".

I echoed your first paragraph on page 1. UConn spent the year in the top ten by virtue of playing in a tough Big East.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We would suck w/o Bazz. A few nice pieces, a raw center with potential, a talented but inconsistent,DD who is a tweener. Terrence Samuals or anyone else is not making up all those points, assists, rebounds and steals.

Reaction Score
If I weren't a UConn fan I would wholeheartedly agree. As some fans stated take Napier out and we are an average team. At this stage, no one other than Napier is appears to make any post-Conference teams, and this is not a top rated conference.

Anyway as a UConn fan I reluctantly agree.

Reaction Score
I think calling the team medicore is harsh. The team is playing at a decent clip. We have moments where we are not sharp and consistent but that happens. We are 16--4(4-3). Conference wise, not good but iI see us getting better. I remember folks talking about us getting beat by Memphis mainly because of their talent. We won. Medicore teams would have lost to a team like Memphis. We did not shaky against Houston and SMU but we figured it out and got it going. We will be okay.

Reaction Score

Although as much as I hate to say it, AO was a big piece with his rise from a "mediocre at best" Big East regular season, the key for them besides Captain obvious was Jeremy Lamb's rise from frosh to added scorer. Along with Bazz as the extra ball handler that team suddenly became a lot better than they proved most of the regular season, besides Maui.

Reaction Score
If he's comparing us to UConn teams of yore, he's absolutely right that this is a mediocre team compared to the kind of teams we fielded 80% of the time back in our hey-day (1994-2009), especially when you consider just the supporting cast. Of course, even considering that, this quality of team is one that half of the P5 teams would sell their soul to have on a yearly basis.

If you squint hard enough, it's almost a compliment.

Reaction Score
Gives Bazz some praise then calls the rest of the team mediocre. I think mediocre is a bit harsh to describe this team. Mediocre would describe their play in Texas, but outside of that stretch I think it's a bit much to say. What do you guys think?
2. Shabazz Napier, UConn: Outside of a forgettable trip to Texas, Napier has been sensational for an otherwise thoroughly mediocre UConn team. The Huskies have won four of their last five and regained their footing in the AAC thanks to Napier, who is now averaging 17.8 points, 6.0 boards, 5.9 assists and 2.0 steals while shooting 44.3% from long range.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...sketball-player-of-the-year-power-rankings-2/

I think WE are ONE tough Interior Defender/Offensive force from being a damn good team. And, in a year that the top 10 have flaws, we still might sneak up on a bunch ... because we have a guard that can outsmart you in crunch time.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think calling the team medicore is harsh. The team is playing at a decent clip. We have moments where we are not sharp and consistent but that happens. We are 16--4(4-3). Conference wise, not good but iI see us getting better. I remember folks talking about us getting beat by Memphis mainly because of their talent. We won. Medicore teams would have lost to a team like Memphis. We did not shaky against Houston and SMU but we figured it out and got it going. We will be okay.

He didn't call the team as a whole mediocre. He called Napier a NPY candidate and the rest of the team is mediocre. he's not entirely wrong. It does not mean they can't improve. Past performance does not guarantee future results, after all.

Reaction Score
Seems like Kentucky is pretty mediocre with ALL THEIR KIDS playing. To follow up on what said earlier, how mediocre would the Creighton team be if the one kid who scored 39 out of 63 to beat the Johnnies by 3 wasn't there. So UConn is border line top 25 with Bazz, still top 50 team without him (i.e Harvard/LSU). How many teams could take a potential 1st round NBA draft pick, who is senior (important aspect) and point guard (also important) and not drop a full peg; and that needs to be stated in a gratuitous slam on the other players.

Reaction Score
It's tough to disagree. We were counting on nice improvements from Daniels, Boat and Calhoun this year to be a Sweet 16 team. Daniels has stayed the same, Boat's numbers have taken a small step backwards though he's playing much more under control and obviously OC has fallen off a cliff. When you're #2-4 most important players don't improve it's going to be tough to be anything besides mediocre.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
It's tough to disagree. We were counting on nice improvements from Daniels, Boat and Calhoun this year to be a Sweet 16 team. Daniels has stayed the same, Boat's numbers have taken a small step backwards though he's playing much more under control and obviously OC has fallen off a cliff. When you're #2-4 most important players don't improve it's going to be tough to be anything besides mediocre.

Im not sure i would say Boat hasn't improved. His game has matured and i think he's more valuable than last year although his numbers have dipped.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
But no one is saying that there are not other teams that, stripped of their star, would not also be mediocre. It is saying we would be. We have a history of being better than a mediocre team with a star. Take Rip off the 99 team and you still have a good squad and a star. Take Oak of the 2004 team and you still have a star and good supporting cast. We would not have been champions but we would have been ranked.

Take Bazz off this team and we're not ranked (were not ranked with him)and we have someone who could be a star and someone we hope becomes a star in 2 years. There is no Ricky Moore, no Travis Knight, no Josh Boone

Don't get me wrong, I hope and think they will improve and I like the players on this team. But outside of Bazz and "potential" they are mediocre.

Reaction Score
Im not sure i would say Boat hasn't improved. His game has matured and i think he's more valuable than last year although his numbers have dipped.

Agreed, that's why I mentioned he was more under control and playing smarter. While that's awesome to see, the team still needs more tangible production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom