OT: - Road Cycling | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Road Cycling

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Also, what kind of bike did you buy for 1800?! Has to be a real road bike or mountain bike. And here you were chastising me for asking about cycling endurance

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Were you the dude with the little girls who was waiting outside before we were open? I was definitely back there. The guy with the beard runs the service shop, not me.

no i had steveo set up my rack on the gray altima. had the blue kids bike

the 1800 was 3 bikes and a rack.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If you ride 12-15 mile rides on moderately technical MTB trails you can probably do 25-35 miles road without too being too uncomfortable. Though I do have to qualify by saying on the rides I do, I generally don't gain much more than 1,000 feet of elevation in either scenario. I've done 40 mile road and groad (gravel/road) rides, will try to up that past 50 this summer.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
For sure more sustained effort. The difference in gear ratios between mountain and road bikes has been a big adjustment as well...rear cogs on mountain bikes are massive, whereas there really isn’t a total ‘granny gear’ on my road bike

The gear is a little kinder than it used to be - instead of a 50/34, with an 11/28 in the back, like you probably have now, road bikes were usually 53/39-11/25. You'll get used to it quickly.

I pick everything up tomorrow!

A bottle of Eagle Rare will fit in the bottle cages. Seems like something you might need to know.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Want to build great endurance?

Ride the Tour de France on trainers. It's on for 4-5 hours per day starting in early July.

I've ridden the Tour about 20 times now and then go on my own real road bicycle tour in late August.

Bike touring is the ultimate in freedom if one is in good shape and has a good sense of direction. I've been riding, primarily bike touring, since the early 1970s, and never ride in groups or organized tours.

Reaction Score
I mostly ride alone or with one or two other people tops, mostly a matter of convenience and being able to squeeze in early morning ride either weekday or weekends before traffic is out. Typically 15-20 miles during week and then longer rides weekends, supplemented by 1-2 spin classes a week. Been riding 10+ years & just never really felt the group ride urge to do group road rides, though for mountain biking I find groups are more fun.
2.5hrs is about as long as I want to ride though - somewhat of a cousin of fact that I started cycling because anything greater than a 10K run was diminishing returns.

Reaction Score
I’ve been mountain biking for a few years now, but have just started road riding to try to build up endurance. Really just started in the past few weeks, building up from 15 miles to 20, to doing 31 today. I’m just curious about how BY road riders have built up endurance and any tips that you might have. I’ve been doing a lot of climbing...I’m in Glastonbury, so been going into the orchards or up John Tom Hill. Just looking for advice to get myself to riding 50+
I have a cyclops trainer (brand new $400) that you can have. Bought it and ended up getting a Peloton. Just sitting in the garage. If you can use it, it’s yours.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom