OT: - Roach Returning to Duke | The Boneyard

OT: Roach Returning to Duke

Reaction Score

• Four starters return, which all make up the team's top-four scorers from last season
  • 2nd overall class, all of which are top-20 prospects
  • Two other rotation pieces return
At a legit ten-deep, I hate to say it, but Duke is a title contender and arguably the best team in college basketball right now. It's a year to see if Scheyer's got the goods.

Reaction Score
WTH. Duke was supposed to go down into the abyss after Coach K retired (or that was my hope, that clearly isn't coming true).

Reaction Score
Scheyer is going to have the challenge of satisfying the PT wants/needs of the 4 returning and the 4 incoing 5 stars. Proctor, Filipowski, Roach, and Mitchell all averaged over 27 minutes. No center recruit, so Ryan Young will see more playing time and he isn't even in the top 8 of those returning and the 5-star recruits. Lots of expectation's. Will be interesting to watch it come together.

Reaction Score
Way too early.

A lot of "the guys after the guy" have had early success due to leftover players and sales skills. We don't have to look too far for an example.
Yes...I know logically it's way too early for that, and of course I know the example you are referring to.

Doesn't stop me wanting to see their downslide sooner, rather than later (realistic or not). I have had a built in dislike for Duke for a couple decades now that has a tendency to flavor my thoughts / vision of reality...lol

Reaction Score
By my count, they have lost about 40 minutes a game from last years team (Only whitehead and lively left right?). They have a bunch of rising guys who will want those minutes and then add in 4 5 star recruits. Gonna be tough to balance everyones minutes, also weird makeup of these guys, by my count Power, stewart, mitchell and flip are all big guys, cant see any point with three of them out there at once and will probably only want one of them at times and then they seem to have a bunch of guards as well but not really any wings. Very weird roster, extremely talented and loaded with NBA talent but think it will be very hard to figure out rotations and minutes

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Filipowskis development defensively/as a rim protector will probably decide the ceiling of this Duke team. Him and Mitchell should be the second best starting front court in the country(I’ll take ours/Biased). Roach and Filip are gonna be the best guard/big offensive foundation going into the season, they just needa figure out the spacing. They should be top 3 easily.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Could definitely be issues balancing that roster, but man that's a good problem to have. Some really good vets and top young talent is a heckuva mix. Makes me sick, but dang.

Reaction Score
Remember when KO won the national title and we thought he was JC 2.0? You need to see a coach for 4 or 5 years before you know if he's legit. Let him bring in a few of his own recruiting classes and coach them.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Remember when KO won the national title and we thought he was JC 2.0? You need to see a coach for 4 or 5 years before you know if he's legit. Let him bring in a few of his own recruiting classes and coach them.
KO didn’t have the advantage of consistently bringing in number 1 classes. It’s gonna be hard to fail with the talent a good coach would actually recruit.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
#1 preseason next year. No doubt

Ask your buddy Carolina how that worked out thins year.

Reaction Score
KO didn’t have the advantage of consistently bringing in number 1 classes. It’s gonna be hard to fail with the talent a good coach would actually recruit.
True. As much as we convince ourselves that they will fade into obscurity we know they will be a top team for a long time. As a NY Yankee disliker (i love Judge and a lot of their roster) I keep hoping that this will be the year they finish last. But that never happens

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Calipari has 1 title at UK despite being an NBA factory. Coaching college basketball teams to win as a team is different than developing top prospects into NBA superstars. We shall see if Schyer is a guy who can coach college basketball teams to win as a team or just a guy who can regurgitate prospects to the NBA.

Reaction Score
Calipari has 1 title at UK despite being an NBA factory. Coaching college basketball teams to win as a team is different than developing top prospects into NBA superstars. We shall see if Schyer is a guy who can coach college basketball teams to win as a team or just a guy who can regurgitate prospects to the NBA.
He has already convinced some to actually stay more than year one, so unless they’re taking on-line classes at UNC, he’s way better than Calipari.

Reaction Score
With the kind of talent Duke has and what’s coming every year how does anyone predict doom for them? They’re going to be in the mix every season whether we like it or not. Even if Scheyer is a lousy coach.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Maybe they get to the 2nd weekend now

Were they not everyone's sweetheart to get to the Final Four? LOL

I suppose if we stunk in March, we'd have four starters returning too :)

Reaction Score
Maybe they get to the 2nd weekend now

Were they not everyone's sweetheart to get to the Final Four? LOL

I suppose if we stunk in March, we'd have four starters returning too :)
They are massively publicized by ESPN and have an A+ academic university and reputation. Maybe they’re not Harvard but add that to the hoop and you see why they get what they do. I don’t see it stopping.

Reaction Score

• Four starters return, which all make up the team's top-four scorers from last season
  • 2nd overall class, all of which are top-20 prospects
  • Two other rotation pieces return
At a legit ten-deep, I hate to say it, but Duke is a title contender and arguably the best team in college basketball right now. It's a year to see if Scheyer's got the goods.

Yup. Howd all that talent work out for Squid all those years? At the end of the day you have to get on the court and prove it. Scheyer is a young coach and has a lot to prove. They should be good but lets not crown them already.

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
They are massively publicized by ESPN and have an A+ academic university and reputation. Maybe they’re not Harvard but add that to the hoop and you see why they get what they do. I don’t see it stopping.
A penthouse, a luxury automobile, a half a mill+ and a winning tradition will attract top players Indefinitely. Can’t wait to mop the floor with them again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom