OT: - RJ Hampton | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: RJ Hampton

Reaction Score
I think it's an interesting move.
Kid gets to travel internationally. NZ is a great country. No hassle taking classes. Gets paid 1 mill NOW, no waiting, no risk of injury. Time value of money, and all that.

For those of you who disagreeing with the kid's decision, serious questions:

Any proof that NZ/Aussie pro competition will be worse than college?
Any proof that playing for Duke would be a better financial decision?
Any proof that "exposure" means squat? Plenty of international players get drafted without the "exposure" of Dick Vitale slobbering over them.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Not sure why this is a big deal. He is not the first to go this route and definitely will not be the last. I remember a high schooler doing this over 10 years ago as a junior. Played two years overseas and was then drafted in the second round. I am not sure what his potential was viewed as, but I believe he chose international over a high major NCAA program.

I selfishly prefer all the top talent go to the NCAA, but why not take the money now? An education can always be had and as with any sport the window to make money is extremely small in the grand scheme of things.

This route will continue to be the outlier and not the norm due to level of competition and coaching.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Not sure why this is a big deal. He is not the first to go this route and definitely will not be the last. I remember a high schooler doing this over 10 years ago as a junior. Played two years overseas and was then drafted in the second round. I am not sure what his potential was viewed as, but I believe he chose international over a high major NCAA program.

I selfishly prefer all the top talent go to the NCAA, but why not take the money now? An education can always be had and as with any sport the window to make money is extremely small in the grand scheme of things.

This route will continue to be the outlier and not the norm due to level of competition and coaching.

Jeremy Tyler.

He played a few years in the nba.

Reaction Score
I admit I am no expert, but every quasi-expert I've ever heard from says the exact opposite is true. They all say college Soccer is a wasteland of poor coaching. Almost nobody comes out of college soccer and becomes an international player, and even in the MLS they are just ok. @ZooCougar even though this is off topic.
Do a re-read. Your both saying same thing
"Not only NOT better.... Not in same universe"

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'd take the money. Absolute worse case in either the college or oversees scenario is injury. With the overseas plan at least you're starting with $500K in your pocket to either go back to school with or begin your post hoop life.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I'd take the money. Absolute worse case in either the college or oversees scenario is injury. With the overseas plan at least you're starting with $500K in your pocket to either go back to school with or begin your post hoop life.

That’s why I’m fascinated to see what happens with Carter Stewart going to Asia rather than the mlb draft and the minor leagues.

Boras has been trying to get his first round talents to do this for a while now. Gets guaranteed 7m, with incentives and can hit mlb as a fa at 25.

In sports, when they all have such low odds of making it, getting a guaranteed payout isn’t a bad choice.

And, even if he’s not NBA worthy, this kid could still keep playing and making good money overseas.

Reaction Score
Bingo! It would be fun to see that happen during Mark Emmert's tenure at the NCAA. Mark better get a pair of knee pads because if it does, he's going to need them while kneeling outside Silver's office begging him to rescind the one-and-done rule.
Or for some other reason

Reaction Score
I think most of us who've watched the last three seasons of Husky BB would tend to agree that some of our players didn't improve greatly, even when they are allowed to work out with coaches and trainers during the limited time available to them under NCAA rules. Ollie was apparently concerned about it enough to break the rules and schedule illegal travel and workouts with a non-UCONN trainer at a remote location not authorized by the AD.

Hamption can eat, drink and sleep BB 24/7 in a foreign country with no language barrier, and pocket a million bucks for the inconvenience. He can get whatever coaching and training is available and even hire his own if that proves ineffective.

I'm puzzled by those here who seem to think he's making some big mistake. Not having to go to college classes, study, take exams, and be distracted by all the other things college life offers seems like a very mature, intelligent plan for somebody that wants to treat pro BB as a profession. He can go to college anytime he wants to in the future.

I don't know what the fact that we had an incompetent coach who couldn't develop players the few years before Hurley has to do with this. We've had tons of guys who have improved greatly and upped their NBA stock during their time here. Some may have done the same or better overseas, some may have not.

And I've seen very few people saying it's definitely a huge mistake. Maybe a couple. I've seen more celebrating this as a big to the NCAA. And then a lot just saying there are some pros and cons and that it will be interesting to see what happens.

Reaction Score
Is a million to play in New Zealand better than 500k to go to Arizona or Kansas?
1DDEE27E-4CF4-45B2-8E0A-66E129F0F83E.png

Yes

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom