OT: - RJ Evans's first game as (interim) head coach | The Boneyard

OT: RJ Evans's first game as (interim) head coach

Reaction Score
RJ was a small but important piece on an important team. The championship doesn't happen without that gritty 20-10 season to set the tone. I remember he was particularly impressive in the first game of that season in the airplane hangar. He got to experience the "good" KO and I hope he learned a lot

Reaction Score
RJ has been an assistant at Holy Cross for a couple of years now. The head coach is out for COVID protocols so RJ served as interim head coach tonight. Unfortunately lost to CCSU by 6 but still a good step in his coaching career
Forgot about that dude. He was very easy to like. Who knows, maybe he'll be interviewing for the UCONN job in a decade or so.

Reaction Score
Hurley isn’t even 50 yet. Assuming everything goes to plan, he’s here for the next 20+ years
Agree with the premise. But I bet Hurley is more of a regular person than we realize. I bet Hurley retires at a normal age. Over 60, under 65. I don't think he's going to coach until he's just about dead.

Reaction Score
I know we love RJ… but good for CCSU. I’m pulling for Sellers in hard hittin’ New Britain!
Same here. CCSU winners of two out of their last three!

Between Sellers and Neptune (Fordham) those are two coaches who are very easy to root for after taking on the job at doormat programs.

In Evans’ case, it’s great when ex-players return to their alma mater to coach. Wishing him best of luck with his career!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree with the premise. But I bet Hurley is more of a regular person than we realize. I bet Hurley retires at a normal age. Over 60, under 65. I don't think he's going to coach until he's just about dead.
What successful coach has ever retired at 60? I cant think of one

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Then you clearly don’t understand the mind of a competitor.

Reaction Score
What successful coach has ever retired at 60? I cant think of one
Didn't say 60. I said between 60 and 65. A normal retirement age.
Al McQuire retired around 50
Denny Crum retired around 64 (within the normal window)

I'm not convinced Hurley is as fanatical as guys like Calhoun. I think it's totally possible Danny reaches his late 50s and realizes he's got more $$ than he'll ever need. Has a fun wife who's not bad looking at home. Maybe they decide to buy a sailboat. Sail the Caribbean. Before they get too decrepit to do so. Or just travel the world.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Didn't say 60. I said between 60 and 65. A normal retirement age.
Al McQuire retired around 50
Denny Crum retired around 64 (within the normal window)

I'm not convinced Hurley is as fanatical as guys like Calhoun. I think it's totally possible Danny reaches his late 50s and realizes he's got more $$ than he'll ever need. Has a fun wife who's not bad looking at home. Maybe they decide to buy a sailboat. Sail the Caribbean. Before they get too decrepit to do so. Or just travel the world.
Coaches at elite high major programs get to those positions because they are fanatics. The ones who aren’t and stop caring (like our last coach) get fired. Very very very few coaches at blue blood/ new blood schools will retire at 60. That’s just not who they are

Reaction Score
Coaches at elite high major programs get to those positions because they are fanatics. The ones who aren’t and stop caring (like our last coach) get fired. Very very very few coaches at blue blood/ new blood schools will retire at 60. That’s just not who they are
They normally have ugly and/or annoying wives

Reaction Score
To the Hurleys, basketball = life.

Reaction Score
#humblebrag

1638740350714.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member