Rivals.com: Which program made the best long-term hire? | The Boneyard

Rivals.com: Which program made the best long-term hire?

Reaction Score
Hysterical. "The greatest recruiters of the one and done era". Right!!! The name "DUKE" didn't have anything to do with that, I'm sure. Maybe he should have reviewed his last performance as head coach. Some good, some bad, FIRED. Yeah, great hire. Kinda surprising, though, to see a Coach K protege take a job in the same conference. Awkward.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
I get they want to look at it from different sides, but it says something that Hurley was Pitt’s first choice.

Who knows, Capel could work out for them (though if he does he’d probably leave for Duke the instant Coach K retires), but clearly Pitt didn’t even see him as their best option.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I get they want to look at it from different sides, but it says something that Hurley was Pitt’s first choice.

Who knows, Capel could work out for them (though if he does he’d probably leave for Duke the instant Coach K retires), but clearly Pitt didn’t even see him as their best option.
Yeah, you’d think in an article about long term success, they’d realize he’d be a goner if he does well there.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Evans is from Pittsburgh and is likely just trying to look favorably on the local school. I wouldn't put too much stock in anything he says about Pitt.

Reaction Score
Capel could be a great hire for Pitt. He could also get hit with a show-cause for handing many recruits a lot of money. He could also do jail time if the FBI decides to look into it. However, even if he manages to avoid all that and has success, he'll bounce for something better when it opens up. Seems Hurley is here to stay for a long, long time.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Evans said in his write up "Capel found success at VCU and, early in his tenure, Oklahoma." Saying "early in his tenure" makes me think of what we just went through. Can he not manage a top tier program? As @Deadrody essentially said, the name Duke speaks for itself. Pitt on your chest does not have the same cache.

Reaction Score
You guys,

They obviously weren't both going to choose the same answer.

Bossi chose to write about UConn and Evans chose to write about Pitt.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I know for a fact both think very highly of UConn.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Pitt needs an amazing coach to have any hopes of catching up in the ACC. Capel wasn’t that guy for Oklahoma, and he won’t be for Pitt either in any likelihood. It’s harder to win there than it is here.

Last edited:

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
You guys,

They obviously weren't both going to choose the same answer.

Bossi chose to write about UConn and Evans chose to write about Pitt.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I know for a fact both think very highly of UConn.

Of course they weren't going to choose the same answer, I acknowledged that in my post. My reaction wasn't just some pro-UConn knee jerk.

But if the entire premise of the piece is "which program is set up the best for the long term?" -- that's a very specific idea, and even if Hurley and Capel are perfect equals in coaching ability it seems silly to pick a guy who I'd assume (though I could be wrong) has his sights set on his alma mater. Especially compared to a guy who referred to his new position as his "dream job" (Hurley could very well have been blowing smoke, but I still doubt his planned endgame is a return to Seton Hall).

Reaction Score
Of course they weren't going to choose the same answer, I acknowledged that in my post. My reaction wasn't just some pro-UConn knee jerk.

But if the entire premise of the piece is "which program is set up the best for the long term?" -- that's a very specific idea, and even if Hurley and Capel are perfect equals in coaching ability it seems silly to pick a guy who I'd assume (though I could be wrong) has his sights set on his alma mater. Especially compared to a guy who referred to his new position as his "dream job" (Hurley could very well have been blowing smoke, but I still doubt his planned endgame is a return to Seton Hall).

That wasn't 100% aimed at you.

Reaction Score

Would Capel get the Duke job before Bobby Hurley?

Reaction Score
Pitt wanted Hurley first so that tells you something. Pitt is a disaster. It's more like starting from scratch than a re build. They will be cellar dwellars for a long time in ACC. They are lucky they got anyone to take the job.

Reaction Score
Evans said in his write up "Capel found success at VCU and, early in his tenure, Oklahoma." Saying "early in his tenure" makes me think of what we just went through. Can he not manage a top tier program? As @Deadrody essentially said, the name Duke speaks for itself. Pitt on your chest does not have the same cache.
Duke, Pitt... just 4 letter words.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We'll find out in twenty years.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Likely a lot sooner than that. Odds of both guys being where they are in 20 years is probably less than 1%.
Take on twenty minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom