Rip's Jersey Being Retired 2/24 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rip's Jersey Being Retired 2/24

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Because he said the number wasn't going to be retired? Or did I misunderstand him?

Oh, I think you did or maybe you have someone on ignore…he was saying the Huskies of Honor is where Emeka is, his jersey isn’t retired.

Reaction Score
Congratulations Rip - Well deserved! Donovan can continue to wear #32 but what happens if he wins another NC and is a candidate to have his number retired. But, wait #32 is already retired?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Rip is in the college basketball hall of fame, Ray is not (but he is in the NBA HOF, obviously)
I thought there was just one "basketball hall of fame". But I see there's a somewhat new college HOF in KC. The one in Springfield isn't just NBA though. Bob Hurley is even in it.

Reaction Score
Congratulations Rip - Well deserved! Donovan can continue to wear #32 but what happens if he wins another NC and is a candidate to have his number retired. But, wait #32 is already retired?
Fortunately, the Yankees were able to persevere through this issue should we too be so fortunate considering they retired two number 8s

Reaction Score
As a sophomore, Rip was part of that bs “neutral court” loss to UNC in Greensboro where they draped Carolina blue towels or shirts over the seats. That UNC team had Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison (got beat by Utah in the FF).

Rip was their best player the following year when they all came back with a junkyard snarl. He made every shot in every big situation. I argue he’s the best Husky of all time but that’s just my opinion.

Reaction Score
Now we know why Flagg won’t wear the uniform of “the most dominant program in recent history”, quoting Tarik Turner from Sunday. He would not be allowed to wear # 32.

Reaction Score
Yes, I get that, but the requirement still doesn’t make sense. And if it was a requirement, it obviously no longer is, opening the door for Kemba, Shabazz, etc. to have their numbers retired.

Criteria needs to be set by the athletic department or it becomes very subjective.
I'm just telling you what UConn said about those who get their # retired. UConn has said it's only reserved for those players who have been inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame.

Rip is my favorite UConn player ever and I consider him the most accomplished ever as a UConn player so I'm pumped for him. Only problem is we may run out of numbers because of our success.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t have been shocked if Rip was put in the Hall of Fame for his overall basketball career. I’m all for retiring numbers and showing how we treat our players long after they’re done playing for us. The Yankees and Lakers haven’t run out of jersey numbers yet.

Poe

Reaction Score
I thought there was just one "basketball hall of fame". But I see there's a somewhat new college HOF in KC. The one in Springfield isn't just NBA though. Bob Hurley is even in it.
Yes, correct, it’s the basketball HOF, not NBA HOF. I meant to say that Ray is in the basketball HOF although it’s more for his NBA accomplishments rather than college/Olympic accomplishments (although they factor in as well).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The rules are like the rules of wrestling or NASCAR. The common ruck never gets to see them.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Hope they give the Jersey to Andrea Hurley to clean before retiring it.
Fail Shes Out Of My League GIF by Laff

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yeah, but his number is going to be retired tool What number is it going to be?
#32. With Clingan curved over it.

Reaction Score
A lot of weird nitpicking over an honor for one of our handful of best players ever
When I think of all the players that played here, for me he was the one that I have to say was our best player that played here. Always the best player on the floor no matter who we played. McDonald’s all American who played like it from start all the way to feasting on Duke in the title game. Its arguably him.

Reaction Score
There is no question he was the greatest Husky of all time if you know the history. We sucked in the early days of the Big East. Then Jim Calhoun brought us to NIT glory with Phil Gamble and Lyman DePriest. Then...the magic year when the song "What I like about Uconn" was played not only in CT but in the entire tri-state area. Then Tate George hit "the shot" (my meme). Then, that absolute tool of a !@$@#$, Christian Laettner hit a buzzer beater of his own to deny us our first final 4 ever. Then, we had to wait 8 more long years only to watch the tar heels crush our dreams again. Then...1999. Duke was absolutely stacked - Tragon Langdon, William Avery, Elton Brand, Corey Magette, and Shane Battier - an NBA roster. A Dook guy on my floor at work came up to me and couldn't stop giggling before the game. "Wanna bet on the game? bwahhhhahahahahahaha" "Sure," I said "100 bucks?" He still hasn't paid me to this day (typical Puke fan). He couldn't even fathom that UConn could even play in the same game with his dream team.
Then, Rip made William Avery cry on Coach K's shoulder after he and Jake and Khalid and Ricky shocked the world.
I don't care what anyone says. All 5 have been wonderful but this was our first. Rip was the reason why. He couldn't be denied. He wouldn't be stopped.
Thank you Richard - we will forever be grateful ( I am in tears now writing this and need to stop)

Reaction Score
Hey Gars! Hope you’re well! #ogyard
Deep, we have to do another Boneyard golf outing. I’m a member of two different clubs now. Totally laughable. CC of Farmington and Farmington Woods. And I still can’t break 100! Swear to God. Truth. Just plain bad news on a golf course. You’ve seen me play. Want me to check on pricing for a Boneyard tournament?

Reaction Score
There is no question he was the greatest Husky of all time if you know the history. We sucked in the early days of the Big East. Then Jim Calhoun brought us to NIT glory with Phil Gamble and Lyman DePriest. Then...the magic year when the song "What I like about Uconn" was played not only in CT but in the entire tri-state area. Then Tate George hit "the shot" (my meme). Then, that absolute tool of a !@$@#$, Christian Laettner hit a buzzer beater of his own to deny us our first final 4 ever. Then, we had to wait 8 more long years only to watch the tar heels crush our dreams again. Then...1999. Duke was absolutely stacked - Tragon Langdon, William Avery, Elton Brand, Corey Magette, and Shane Battier - an NBA roster. A Dook guy on my floor at work came up to me and couldn't stop giggling before the game. "Wanna bet on the game? bwahhhhahahahahahaha" "Sure," I said "100 bucks?" He still hasn't paid me to this day (typical Puke fan). He couldn't even fathom that UConn could even play in the same game with his dream team.
Then, Rip made William Avery cry on Coach K's shoulder after he and Jake and Khalid and Ricky shocked the world.
I don't care what anyone says. All 5 have been wonderful but this was our first. Rip was the reason why. He couldn't be denied. He wouldn't be stopped.
Thank you Richard - we will forever be grateful ( I am in tears now writing this and need to stop)
I can’t even tell you how much I love this post. This post captures it all! It captures the hopelessness of Uconn before. Jim Calhoun, and it captures the rapture of the 1999 season and our first NC. I was totally delirious. Is that a word? Just out of my mind. Still am about that season. That was the best! Post some more about that please.

Reaction Score
I was there at the Trop that night. So many memories that I can't possibly share them all. One of my favorites was that my return flight the next day had a layover in Raleigh. Dress to the hilt with championship gear I was ready to talk some serious smack at the airport. Instead we were treated like conquering heroes. Turns out the citizens of North Carolina are entirely UNC fans and HATE Duke. I got so many hugs and high 5's that day at the Raleigh airport, it was beautiful.

Reaction Score
Let's all be worried that the way we're going soon we'll run out of basketball numbers.
Most of us know that certain numbers are off limits to begin with.
Hey, it's a legitimate concern ! Another 10 or 20 or 40 National Championships and we just won't have enough numbers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom