RIP Ron Popeil | The Boneyard

RIP Ron Popeil

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I missed this last Wednesday but Ron Popeil, the television huckster who brought us the Chop-o- Matic, the Veg-o-Matic, and countless other gadgets. Popeil convinced people to buy his "Inventions" on a grand scale and became one of the earliest "as seen on TV" gurus. His catchphrase introduced the audience to "Another Popeil Dollar Stretcher" on late night TV for decades. Quite a unique American character. RIP.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I missed this last Wednesday but Ron Popeil, the television huckster who brought us the Chop-o- Matic, the Veg-o-Matic, and countless other gadgets. Popeil convinced people to buy his "Inventions" on a grand scale and became one of the earliest "as seen on TV" gurus. His catchphrase introduced the audience to "Another Popeil Dollar Stretcher" on late night TV for decades. Quite a unique American character. RIP.
Don’t forget the Popeil Pocket Fisherman and Mr. Microphone. “Hey good looking we’ll be back to pick you up later!”

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Is he the "Set it and forget it" guy?
Yes he was. And the "But wait, there's more " guy too. When he hawked something, you knew what you were getting. Unlike today when commercials often push a way of life vibe, but you you are not sure what actual product they are pushing. "Ronco" was plain and simple buy this it's good to have consumerism.

Reaction Score
Rest in peace, Ron. Another icon of my youth passing reminding me that I'm not a kid anymore. He was also immortalized by, of all people, Weird Al Yankovic.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Paige ever used a Pocket fisherman.

Reaction Score
Is he the "Set it and forget it" guy?
I had one of those Showtime Rotisseries and used it to cook whole chickens. It was quite good and easy to use. My mother used the veg-o-matic for many years to dice potatoes and other vegetables for chowder and beef stew. Good products IMHO.

Reaction Score
A true TV legend. His productions were so bad they were great,

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Cant wait for Paige's skits. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads