RIP Legendary Boston Celtics player, coach K.C. Jones dies at 88 | The Boneyard

RIP Legendary Boston Celtics player, coach K.C. Jones dies at 88

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
He played nine seasons in the NBA, all with the Celtics, and won titles in eight of them -- the third most in league history, behind only longtime teammates Bill Russell (11) and Sam Jones (10). That success carried over to his coaching days, when he won three titles (one as an assistant, two as a head coach) during Boston's run of success in the 1980s with Larry Bird & Co.

Reaction Score
If you grew up in the greater Boston area you were a Celtics fan in the 60's, 70's & 80's. K.C. Jones was a class act, always well-spoken, always well dressed, a true professional. He is one of 8 players to win an NCAA Championship, an Olympic Gold Medal, and an NBA championship. He teamed up with Bill Russell at the Univ of San Fran to win NCAA titles in 55 & 56, then an Olympic Gold in 56. He also tried out with the LA Rams and got cut. He said if basketball didn't work out, he would go play football. A whole lotta bling.

We have lost a lot of Celtics recently, Tommy Heinsohn last month, and John Havlicek last year. What a team they must have up there.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I loved watching those great Celtic teams of the 60’s with Russell, Heinsohn, Sanders, Sam & KC Jones. I loved the parkay floor in the old Boston Garden, and I loved it when Red Auerbach would lite up a cigar signifying yet another Celtic victory.

Reaction Score
I loved watching those great Celtic teams of the 60’s with Russell, Heinsohn, Sanders, Sam & KC Jones. I loved the parkay floor in the old Boston Garden, and I loved it when Red Auerbach would lite up a cigar signifying yet another Celtic victory.
Oldude,

Somewhere I have a piece of the old parquet floor. I also have a brick from the old barn. Haven't seen them in years

Reaction Score
Seems to be no mention of him coaching the Blizzard of the ABL with Kara, Jen and Carla. Am I mistaken?

Reaction Score
Such a class act, such a rock. A very key part of the Celtics lore and legacy. I'll always remember Johnny Most calling out the Celtics lineup on the floor as "Sam and KC in the backcourt" or ""The Jones boys in the backcourt". Such good memories of those days - and KC was very much a part of it. He continued that legacy through a good part of the 80's as their coach, which he excelled it. Thanks KC, RIP.

Reaction Score
I am naturally a Knick fan - though I have switched my basketball devotion to our girls. So I have to admit to having rooted agains the Celtics since 1967 when I started watching bball on tv.

So I realize this is going to hurt all of you who are shamrock fans... I got to play golf with KC about 8years ago. We were about to tee off on the first hole at Wintonbury when the starter comes up to us and asks if we would mind if a fourth joined us. We happily agreed, and he said "well that's good because you're getting the chance to play with a hall-of-famer". Needless to say, KC at 80 outdrove all of us 60-year-olds! He was a wonderful guy and we all had a ball with him. So sorry to hear he has left us.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
So I realize this is going to hurt all of you who are shamrock fans... I got to play golf with KC about 8years ago. We were about to tee off on the first hole at Wintonbury when the starter comes up to us and asks if we would mind if a fourth joined us. We happily agreed, and he said "well that's good because you're getting the chance to play with a hall-of-famer". Needless to say, KC at 80 outdrove all of us 60-year-olds! He was a wonderful guy and we all had a ball with him. So sorry to hear he has left us.
I have a similar story - skipped out of work early on a weekday afternoon 20 something years ago to get in nine at Rockledge in West Hartford. Pretty quiet, and the starter told me I could join Mr. Jones on the first tee.

Yep.

He could not have been nicer. Easygoing, totally without pretense. My lucky day.

If you ever spoke to him or heard him speak, you know he had a calm, soothing voice. But he could also sing. Really sing! Please check out the video below.

Reaction Score
Met him at Tallwood and he treated a group of us to stories during a rain delay. I got a good chuckle when he told a story about a threat to shoot Larry Bird during a game that Boston police had reason to take seriously. Bird said play anyway and the game went on. During time outs in the game, the team would huddle and the other players would constantly move so as to not be the one standing next to Bird. He said the huddle became a moving crawl. KC told the story well and got a good laugh. He seemed very affable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom