RIP John Madden | The Boneyard

RIP John Madden

Reaction Score
He will be sorely missed. I will always remember him explaing the "BONG". It was funny and inciteful as he often was.
Pat Sumerall didn't know where he was giog with it, but in the end the "Block On Nose Guard" ended up being informative and provided some priceless sports tv.

Reaction Score
My son and I just watched the documentary that was shown on Christmas on him this morning. It's airing on FS1 tonight at 9:00 pm (in 13 minutes) if you want to watch it.

If you miss it tonight then it will be available for streaming on January 3.

Reaction Score
RIP Legend

I grew up watching those stout Giants defenses of the 80s and 1990 with him and Summerall as the soundtrack. What a fantastic announcer and ambassador of the game. He made football easier to understand for the common fan.

Here is the perfect music they should play at his funeral:

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
John Madden analyzing football games and George Foreman analyzing boxing matches were always a pleasure to listen to. Miss those days.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Boom! John brought fun to the booth in a way nobody had before. He was a great coach before that. But I think we will remember him as one of us. A guy who loved great BBQ, and who took delight in watching and describing football for us in colorful and informative ways. RIP to an all time great.

Reaction Score
Boom! John brought fun to the booth in a way nobody had before. He was a great coach before that. But I think we will remember him as one of us. A guy who loved great BBQ, and who took delight in watching and describing football for us in colorful and informative ways. RIP to an all time great.

I read someone today describe him as someone who managed to take football seriously while not taking himself too seriously, which I thought was an apt description. He and Summerall were like the sunday soundtrack to my childhood. RIP. Might have to make a turducken.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Crazy. Just watched the fox documentary last night. I remember his games on cbs then fox with pat summerall. Brings me back to nfl sundays growing up. Waaaayyy before red zone. They did all the big games(particularly the nfc East) Great duo. Rip to both.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
RIP JM. Your entertainment will be missed. You and Frank Gifford. Great pair for sports.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Anyway, here's my lame and insensitive attempt at humor to commemorate Madden:

1640780866286.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
He idolized all players who got up with grass, mud and sod clinging to their face masks. AS soos as we saw the muck we knew Madden was going to give praise.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Not sure why the news of his passing made me catch my breath, but he really was a cross-generational icon/touchstone. John Madden's death was trending in the Sports, News, US News, Entertainment, and Games subreddits this morning. Of course the news was all over the football subs as well.

The man left quite a footprint on the last 50 years.

Reaction Score
Self-effacing sense of humor. Enjoyed life to the fullest riding around in his bus to the next game he was calling. He and Pat were quite the pair. Mastered the art of storytelling..Played Al D like a fiddle.

Carnivore-lovers have got to try turducken at least once in their lives-Green Egg version. RIP Coach

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Madden is a guy that simply won’t get remembered correctly by younger football fans. The video game is nonsense.

Before social media, cripes before cable TV sports had iconic voices and personalities attached to them. Cosell was like that. Madden and Summerall were the soundtrack to every big NFL Sunday for years and years.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
this would be a cool story if it wasn't skyline chili...wife's family is from Cincy....I tried it....ONCE...that was enough. I think I'd rather have the snails
It sounds pretty good, just schedule an angioplasty after.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom