RIP Jimmy Orr | The Boneyard

RIP Jimmy Orr

Reaction Score
Steelers and Colts former receiver died at 85 years old. One of Johnny Unitas's favorite targets, Orr made a career out of end zone catches. He was a great route runner who could get open when needed.
Bama, Jimmy Orr was originally drafted by the Steelers but their front office at that time was a combined group of idiots. They traded him to Baltimore where he bacame a perennial all-pro. During the fifties and early sixties the Steelers probably made more terrible draft choices than any other team at that time and when they did make a good one they let him go. By the way, they could have had Unitas. Baltimore found him playing semi-pro ball in, guess where, Pittsburgh.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Jimmy Orr, Raymond Berry & John Mackey made up one of the greatest receiving trios in the history of pro football. Of course it helped having Unitas throwing to them.

Reaction Score
I wasn't sure anybody would remember Jimmy Orr. I was a Colts fan as a kid. I loved Johnny U. I remember pictures of Orr smoking cigars after victories.

Here is a piece on a play in Super Bowl III. One of the biggest disappointments in my young life was the loss to Namath and the Jets. At least Orr won in Super Bowl V which was his last game.

But for all his game-breaking achievements, Orr was especially remembered for the frustration he experienced in one of pro football’s most memorable championship games: Super Bowl III, in January 1969, when the N.F.L. champion Colts were huge favorites over the Jets of the upstart American Football League.
The Colts were trailing the Jets, 7-0, in the final minute of the first half and had the ball on the Jets’ 41-yard line when they tried a trick play known as the flea-flicker. Earl Morrall, filling in for Unitas, who had a sore elbow, handed the ball to halfback Tom Matte, who ran toward the right, then lateraled it back to Morrall.
Orr, who had run down the left sideline, was alone around the Jets’ 10-yard line and frantically waved his arms in the hope that Morrall would throw to him. But Morrall did not spot him. He threw the football down the middle instead, toward fullback Jerry Hill. The Jets’ safety Jim Hudson intercepted at about the 12.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/24/style/milly-designer-michelle-smith-Obama-soulcycle-stacey-griffith.html?action=click&algo=als_engaged1_desk_filter&block=editors_picks_recirc&fellback=false&imp_id=699483598&impression_id=0d2f8011-1abd-11eb-9e2f-e76204c7f8c1&index=1&pgtype=Article®ion=ccolumn&req_id=887281544&surface=home-featured&action=click&module=editorContent&pgtype=Article®ion=CompanionColumn&contentCollection=Trending

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wasn't sure anybody would remember Jimmy Orr. I was a Colts fan as a kid. I loved Johnny U. I remember pictures of Orr smoking cigars after victories.

Here is a piece on a play in Super Bowl III. One of the biggest disappointments in my young life was the loss to Namath and the Jets. At least Orr won in Super Bowl V which was his last game.

But for all his game-breaking achievements, Orr was especially remembered for the frustration he experienced in one of pro football’s most memorable championship games: Super Bowl III, in January 1969, when the N.F.L. champion Colts were huge favorites over the Jets of the upstart American Football League.
The Colts were trailing the Jets, 7-0, in the final minute of the first half and had the ball on the Jets’ 41-yard line when they tried a trick play known as the flea-flicker. Earl Morrall, filling in for Unitas, who had a sore elbow, handed the ball to halfback Tom Matte, who ran toward the right, then lateraled it back to Morrall.
Orr, who had run down the left sideline, was alone around the Jets’ 10-yard line and frantically waved his arms in the hope that Morrall would throw to him. But Morrall did not spot him. He threw the football down the middle instead, toward fullback Jerry Hill. The Jets’ safety Jim Hudson intercepted at about the 12.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/24/style/milly-designer-michelle-smith-Obama-soulcycle-stacey-griffith.html?action=click&algo=als_engaged1_desk_filter&block=editors_picks_recirc&fellback=false&imp_id=699483598&impression_id=0d2f8011-1abd-11eb-9e2f-e76204c7f8c1&index=1&pgtype=Article®ion=ccolumn&req_id=887281544&surface=home-featured&action=click&module=editorContent&pgtype=Article®ion=CompanionColumn&contentCollection=Trending
I’ve seen that video 100 times. It wasn’t like Morrall was rushed on the throw. He had all the time in the world to find Orr. Can’t imagine how I would feel if I were a Colts fan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom