RIP Jimmy Buffett | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RIP Jimmy Buffett

Reaction Score
From Paul McCartney:

It seems that so many wonderful people are leaving this world, and now Jimmy Buffett is one of them. I’ve known Jimmy for some time and found him to be one of the kindest and most generous people.

I remember once on holiday when I had forgotten to bring my guitar and was itching to play. He said he would get me one of his, but I said, ‘I’m left-handed’. So, Jimmy had his roadie restring one of his guitars which he loaned me for the duration of the holiday. He then followed this act of generosity by giving me my own beautiful left-handed guitar that had been made by one of his guitar-making pals. It’s a beautiful instrument, and every time I play it now it’ll remind me of what a great man Jimmy was.

He had a most amazing lust for life and a beautiful sense of humour. When we swapped tales about the past his were so exotic and lush and involved sailing trips and surfing and so many exciting stories that it was hard for me to keep up with him.

Right up to the last minute his eyes still twinkled with a humour that said, ‘I love this world and I’m going to enjoy every minute of it’.

So many of us will miss Jimmy and his tremendous personality. His love for us all, and for mankind as a whole.

Last, but not least, is his songwriting and vocal ability. If someone made an interesting remark he repeated it in his gorgeous Louisiana drawl and said, ‘That’s a good idea for a song’. Most times it didn’t take too long for that song to appear. I was very happy to have played on one of his latest songs called ‘My Gummy Just Kicked In’. We had a real fun session and he played me some of his new songs. One, in particular, I loved was the song, ‘Bubbles Up’. And I told him that not only was the song great but the vocal was probably the best I’ve heard him sing ever. He turned a diving phrase that is used to train people underwater into a metaphor for life when you’re confused and don’t know where you are just follow the bubbles - they’ll take you up to the surface and straighten you out right away.

So long, Jim. You are a very special man and friend and it was a great privilege to get to know you and love you. Bubbles up, my friend.

Love, Paul
I read this moving tribute this morning. I also read that Sir Paul played music for the family this past week. It is tough getting older and losing more and more of the people that you have known over the years.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I read this moving tribute this morning. I also read that Sir Paul played music for the family this past week. It is tough getting older and losing more and more of the people that you have known over the years.
Very true, but then you see this:

Keith.PNG

Reaction Score
Too many people think of Buffett's music as Margaritaville and Cheeseburger in Paradise. I remember reading that the former was one of his least favorite recordings. Try some of his lesser known songs.

Oh, I'm an KW regular for at least 1 trip a year. I get it. I guess what I'm saying is, if you listen to his music at a cubicle at work in Minnesota, it's not great. If you're on a boat in the Keys or at a concert drunk on margaritas, it's awesome.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'll admit it, I'm a fan.

Went to a few concerts in the '90s and had a blast every time. Everybody was there to have fun, period.

I can't say I like any artists like him but, then again, there aren't any artists like him.

If you don't love his music, I get it, but if you went to a show and didn't have fun I think that only says something about you.

Reaction Score
I ended up starting my 2nd set on Saturday with a somber “Come Monday”. I didn’t expect to get emotional but it was tough to get the words out. I haven’t listened to Jimmy in quite a few years, but I think I was always closer to a Parrot Head than a Dead Head.

Reaction Score
I ended up starting my 2nd set on Saturday with a somber “Come Monday”. I didn’t expect to get emotional but it was tough to get the words out. I haven’t listened to Jimmy in quite a few years, but I think I was always closer to a Parrot Head than a Dead Head.
I wouldn't call myself a Parrot Head but I enjoy some of his songs. I sat at a beachside bar yesterday drinking Landsharks and listening to Jimmy Buffet. Seemed like the right thing to do especially on Labor Day. I was not alone.

"Come Monday" is one of my favorites. There are a few nice collaborations on YouTube of that song.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom