RIP Graeme Edge, Moody Blues Drummer | The Boneyard

RIP Graeme Edge, Moody Blues Drummer

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Oh, geez, that stinks. In addition to being a great, tasteful drummer, Graham wrote the poems that were often the last tracks of their albums.

We always go visit my father-in-law over Labor Day weekend. It's about 175 miles, 3.5 hours. On the way back this year, I plugged the ipod into the sound system and played a bunch of Moody Blues albums. Unfortunately without a lot of gymnastics, the albums play in alphabetical order rather than chronological. This was everything from Days of Future Passed to Octave. About three hours into the drive, My wife and I, almost simultaneously said, "We've been listening to these guys for three hours and there hasn't been a single bad song." (I did skip side two of Octave.)

Here's one of my favorites of his:

Reaction Score
Sad news. Such a unique talent and such a unique band that brought joy to tens of millions of us fans. I couldn't even begin to count the number of hours I've enjoyed his work. We've lost so many greats recently.

Reaction Score
Graeme was one of the founders of the band and I’ve been a big fan for over 50 years. I tried to see the Moody Blues whenever they were in CT and they always put on a great show.
RIP Graeme
“Blasting, billowing, bursting forth
With the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes”

Reaction Score
I'm also very sorry to hear the news. I hope he didn't suffer too much. I kind of suspected when they called it quits as a band a couple of years ago his health had to be deteriorating.

They've been my favorite band since about '69 and I've been lucky to see them a couple dozen times, from their early sellouts at MSG to most recently several years ago at the SPAC in Saratoga. They were excellent throughout and Graeme always brought a special touch with his poetry and his humor.

Bigboote, I'm with you. The Moodies' music has helped ease my way through countless long drives, here, there and everywhere, not to mention the numerous ups and downs of life over the years. Perfect choice in sharing 'The Balance.' Graeme's writing and Mike Pinder's evocative narration was and still is such a beautiful tandem.

Even though he left the band more 40 years ago, I wonder what fellow co-founder Pinder must be thinking now that Ray Thomas and Edge are both departed.

Thanks, Graeme, for more than a half-century of great music and your special spirit. RIP.

Reaction Score
First Mike Pinder left the group, Ray Thomas retired and then passed and now this. I have them in my top ten of bands from the late 60's to early 70's, gen 1 of classic rock. RIP..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom