RIP Gaylord Perry | The Boneyard

RIP Gaylord Perry

Reaction Score
One of my high school baseball coaches married one of Gaylord Perry’s daughters, or so he told us. He brought him up a lot Since he worked with the pitchers.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
RIP spitball master.
I can't think of any other athlete whose 'bending of the rules' so completely untroubled me. Somehow, I accepted it as a charming quirk that made him a likeable character, someone you could root for while waving away anybody who'd say, "But he cheats," as though they were a just a buzzkill and deserved no serious consideration.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I can't think of any other athlete whose 'bending of the rules' so completely untroubled me. Somehow, I accepted it as a charming quirk that made him a likeable character, someone you could root for while waving away anybody who'd say, "But he cheats," as though they were a just a buzzkill and deserved no serious consideration.
Exactly. Somehow it was as if its ok, because he's not actually that good and so needed an advantage. Like you trying to pitch in MLB. Obviously he was actually great, but still, it felt like something he was allowed to do.

RIP to an all time great.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Exactly. Somehow it was as if its ok, because he's not actually that good and so needed an advantage. Like you trying to pitch in MLB. Obviously he was actually great, but still, it felt like something he was allowed to do.

RIP to an all time great.
There is absolutely skill and smarts needed to use substances effectively. And there's no doubt he was the best at it in the modern era. At the same time, I do think umps gave him more leeway than others who tried to throw doctored balls.

And by no means was he the only guy in the 60s-80s who threw them.

Reaction Score
Would it be inappropriate for the funeral attendees to spit on his grave as a tribute to him ? I say not. Gaylord would probably be laughing in his grave.
He was definitely an old school player who did it his way.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
There is absolutely skill and smarts needed to use substances effectively. And there's no doubt he was the best at it in the modern era. At the same time, I do think umps gave him more leeway than others who tried to throw doctored balls.

And by no means was he the only guy in the 60s-80s who threw them.
Loved watching him pitch for the Padres in the mid-late 70s. Together with Randy Jones, Dave Winfield, and Ozzie Smith, they were fun to watch. And the x-rated San Diego Chicken was hilarious.

Reaction Score
I felt the same way and I have no idea why.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom