RIP Dan Ingram | The Boneyard

RIP Dan Ingram

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Died at 83 a few days ago.

I think many, many of us grew up listening to him on WABC. I hadn’t thought of him in years till I saw the obit in the WaPo this morning. I remember fondly sitting on the beach and hearing him spin the latest by the Rascals, Beatles, or Beach Boys. That was living.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Died at 83 a few days ago.

I think many, many of us grew up listening to him on WABC. I hadn’t thought of him in years till I saw the obit in the WaPo this morning. I remember fondly sitting on the beach and hearing him spin the latest by the Rascals, Beatles, or Beach Boys. That was living.

Hey Kemosabe...thanks for bringing this up. Listening to the "Ingram mess" on my omnipresent, faded white transistor radio was a major part of my youth, along with Cousin' Brucie, Ron Lundy and the other WABC jocks. In retrospect, it's amazing to think how many young listeners thought of themselves as "kemosabes" (thanks to Dan) or "cousins" (thanks to Bruce Morrow). ;)

Later on, my tastes shifted over to FM (WNEW, like many of us) with Scott Muni, Pete Fornatale and the Nightbird, among others. But every so often, I'd catch the "mess" on CBS-FM. Not quite as impressionable as the first run, but he'd still stick the "talk-ups," as this article noted.

Dan Ingram, Irreverent Disc Jockey, Is Dead at 83

Let's start the set with the Rascal's "It's a Beautiful Morning." Play it, Danno and R.I.P.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I remember Big Dan from cruising with the radio on during my high school days. Thanks for the good tunes and fun! RIP!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
On air history
  • 1958 — WICC, Bridgeport, CT (under the name Rae Tayler)
  • 1958 — WNHC, New Haven, CT
  • 1959 — KBOX, Dallas, TX
  • 1959 - 1960 — WIL, St. Louis, MO[4]
  • July 3, 1961 - May 10, 1982 — WABC, New York City. He and Ron Lundy were on-air as the station switched to TalkRadio.
  • April 1984 - December 1986 — Hosted CBS Radio's Top 40 Satellite Survey
  • 1984 - June 1985 — WKTU (92.3 FM), New York City
  • 1986 - 1987 — announcer for Nightlife, a late-night TV talk show hosted by David Brenner
  • 1987 - 1988 — The Weekend Music Review, a weekly Adult Contemporary radio program that counted down the top 20 AC records today, and highlighted what was going on 20, 15, 10, and 1 yr ago that weekend. JAM Creative Productions, Dallas TX[5] produced and syndicated from 1987 to 1988. Julie Sizemore handled affiliate relations. Dan Ingram was host of "The Weekend Music Review" 3 hour AC show.
  • October 1991 - June 2003,[6] September 16, 2007 — New York Radio Greats on WCBS-FM, New York City
  • June 1998 — KRTH-FM, Los Angeles. One week as "guest DJ," ostensibly a tryout for the morning drive spot previously held by Robert W. Morgan, who had died a month earlier. The job went to Charlie Van Dyke.
  • February 8, 2004 — Fab-40th Weekend on WAXQ, New York

Reaction Score
I grew up on LI in the 50's and 60's so I am familiar with all of the aforementioned DJs and have a warm spot in my heart for each and every one of them, particularly the FM DJs on WNEW.

In April of 1968, I met one of the major NY area DJs not yet mentioned. I was on a trip with my family to Bermuda when I 18. We were staying at this luxury hotel called the Elbow Beach. So posh, they had an orchestra for dinner. They also had a bungalow near the beach that was used as a game room. One night I was in there all by myself when who walks in but Murray Kaufman---Murray the K and His Swingin' Soiret on WOR. After Murray and I played a few games of ping pong, he was joined by his wife, Jackie the K, tastefully dressed in a full-length white fur, white vinyl knee boots, and white vinyl microskirt. Oh to be 18.

But my favorite late-night listen on my transistor radio was not a DJ but the great raconteur, Jean Shepard, author of In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash, the book on which
A Christmas Story was based. I always marveled how he would time the ending of his stories with the end of his theme song, which would start playing a few minutes before 10:00.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Hey Kemosabe...thanks for bringing this up. Listening to the "Ingram mess" on my omnipresent, faded white transistor radio was a major part of my youth, along with Cousin' Brucie, Ron Lundy and the other WABC jocks. In retrospect, it's amazing to think how many young listeners thought of themselves as "kemosabes" (thanks to Dan) or "cousins" (thanks to Bruce Morrow). ;)

Later on, my tastes shifted over to FM (WNEW, like many of us) with Scott Muni, Pete Fornatale and the Nightbird, among others. But every so often, I'd catch the "mess" on CBS-FM. Not quite as impressionable as the first run, but he'd still stick the "talk-ups," as this article noted.

Dan Ingram, Irreverent Disc Jockey, Is Dead at 83

Let's start the set with the Rascal's "It's a Beautiful Morning." Play it, Danno and R.I.P.
I have similar memories, Dillon, and I'd add a couple more New York disc jockeys to your list, including Murray the K, Herb Oscar Anderson, Bob Lewis (Bob-a-Loo), Peter Tripp ("the curly headed kid in the third row") and B. Mitchell Reed.

There also was a DJ who would sign off with "...and if you're driving in your car, thanks for the ride" and another whose tag line was, "Love you all, especially you, size nine." Anyone remember who they were? I can't recall.

Yeah, we really were young once.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
NY suburbs also. Yes, I'm familiar with Dan and Brucie. I can't say they were impactful, cause my teenage years wedded me to Alan Freed and Jocko. Later jockeys just represented a continuance of record spinning persons.

Reaction Score
When I was pulling all nighters in college, we would switch between Alison Steele the Nightbird and Jonathan Schwartz. But really the coolest radio days in the Bronx were listening to WABeatleC on a transistor radio.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have similar memories, Dillon, and I'd add a couple more New York disc jockeys to your list, including Murray the K, Herb Oscar Anderson, Bob Lewis (Bob-a-Loo), Peter Tripp ("the curly headed kid in the third row") and B. Mitchell Reed.

There also was a DJ who would sign off with "...and if you're driving in your car, thanks for the ride" and another whose tag line was, "Love you all, especially you, size nine." Anyone remember who they were? I can't recall.

Yeah, we really were young once.

The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind, the answer is blowin' in the wind ...

Love You Too, Dandy Dan

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I believe the WABC lineup for many years was Harry Harrison from 6am to 10, Ron Lundy from 10 to 2, Dan Ingram from 2 to 6pm, Bruce Morrow from 6pm to 10pm then I think it was Either Chuck or Ron Leonard from 10 to 1am. Not sure what they played from 1am to 6am.

Reaction Score
Charlie Greer and Bob Lewis both had turns as the overnight DJ.

BTW, Bruce Morrow's predecessor in the 6-10 slot was Scott Muni.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I grew up on LI in the 50's and 60's so I am familiar with all of the aforementioned DJs and have a warm spot in my heart for each and every one of them, particularly the FM DJs on WNEW.

In April of 1968, I met one of the major NY area DJs not yet mentioned. I was on a trip with my family to Bermuda when I 18. We were staying at this luxury hotel called the Elbow Beach. So posh, they had an orchestra for dinner. They also had a bungalow near the beach that was used as a game room. One night I was in there all by myself when who walks in but Murray Kaufman---Murray the K and His Swingin' Soiret on WOR. After Murray and I played a few games of ping pong, he was joined by his wife, Jackie the K, tastefully dressed in a full-length white fur, white vinyl knee boots, and white vinyl microskirt. Oh to be 18.

But my favorite late-night listen on my transistor radio was not a DJ but the great raconteur, Jean Shepard, author of In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash, the book on which
A Christmas Story was based. I always marveled how he would time the ending of his stories with the end of his theme song, which would start playing a few minutes before 10:00.
My father was a great fan of Jean Shepherd's radio show. I didn't hear much (contemporary) music until around 1971 when I started getting bus transport to high school and the bus had a radio on. I do remember most of the more famous DJ's mentioned, and some of the WNEW DJ's from college, where my room mate one year was a big fan.

But Jean Shepherd - really entertaining. I still remember him telling stories about his teacher not understanding that his name was really "Jean".

Reaction Score
Lately, listening to the Beatles channel on Sirius/XM, I've heard Dennis Elsas, who has some kind of a panel show talking about the Beatles. Dennis was one of my favorite DJs on WNEW-FM for some 25 years beginning in 1971.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Lately, listening to the Beatles channel on Sirius/XM, I've heard Dennis Elsas, who has some kind of a panel show talking about the Beatles. Dennis was one of my favorite DJs on WNEW-FM for some 25 years beginning in 1971.

Elsas has been holding down the 2 p.m. - 6 p.m. shift for WFUV since taking over for Meg Griffin. He has made himself something of a Beatles authority, since doing that interview with John Lennon on 'NEW back in the 70's. He does a "4 on Friday" segment every week at that time. Here's his bio:
Dennis Elsas | WFUV

Here's a link to WFUV, which has plays a lot of the artists that "NEW used to play along with newer artists that carry that musical torch. WFUV | Music discovery starts here.

Reaction Score
Growing up in north central Mass, I was primarily a fan of WBZ in Boston - Carl DeSuze, Dave Maynard, Jefferson Kaye, Jay Dunn, Bruce Bradley etc. But sometimes I would listen to WABC - I do remember him well, he had a very good voice.

And I do enjoy hearing Cousin Brucie's voice on Sirius now - he must be the very last one from that era still on the radio.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom