RIP: Colin Powell....84 | The Boneyard

RIP: Colin Powell....84

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I may not have always agreed with Colin Powell's politics, nor with his vision for America. But I wholeheartedly believe that he was a patriot, a man willing to admit his mistakes, and I wholeheartedly agree with his viewpoint that the responsibility of being an American means not "My America, right or wrong", but being an American means that "only together we can right what is wrong". Whenever I think of the greatness of being an American I think of two phrases. The first by Evelyn Beatrice Hall in an illustration of Voltaire's beliefs which is "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". The second by George Gurgieff who said "Freedom without responsibility is liberty, not license". Under that criteria there is not such thing as liberty. But there is freedom which comes as at a cost, and the cost is both personal and social responsibility, that for oneself and for others. Rest in peace to another true American.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In the words of the Kibitzer (RIP), General Powell (RIP) was a great American.
Somewhere in the archives of the BY (maybe in our Veterans Day roll call) is a post from Kib where he told the story of how he & General Powell were on the same list for receiving a purple heart on the same day while serving in Viet Nam. This is a great loss for America.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I feel a loss today with the news of his passing. I met General Powell in 83 and in 91, he was person that I respected very much and I'm happy to have been able to talk to him in both meetings.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
His book, My American Journey, is quite an interesting read. I wasn't aware we had served together in Chu Lai, Vietnam, Americal Division, 68-69, until I read his amazing story.
Thank you for your service.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
His book, My American Journey, is quite an interesting read. I wasn't aware we had served together in Chu Lai, Vietnam, Americal Division, 68-69, until I read his amazing story.
Thank you sir for returning from your service to the family, friends and country that need and adore you. That goes to all of you who have served this country in any capacity.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some people exhibit extraordinary strength and dignity whatever their circumstances. Colin Powell had been battling multiple myeloma for two years when he advised journalist Bob Woodward of his condition.

According to Woodward, Powell told him, “Don’t say no and don’t feel sorry for me for God’s sake. I’m 85 years old. I haven’t lost a day of life fighting these two diseases. I’m in good shape.”

Powell was a remarkable man who represented the very best of us.

Reaction Score
Thank you for your service. I served in the American Division from July 69 - July 70 . I was 11B(infantry) in the 1/6 Battalion, 198th Brigade . Our HQ was LZ Bayonet. My Battalion commander for part of my tour was LTC(at the time) Norman Schwarzkopf.

Reaction Score
Thank you for your service. I served in the American Division from July 69 - July 70 . I was 11B(infantry) in the 1/6 Battalion, 198th Brigade . Our HQ was LZ Bayonet. My Battalion commander for part of my tour was LTC(at the time) Norman Schwarzkopf.

Reaction Score
I have to ask where in upstate NY? I grew up in New Hartford, NY.

Reaction Score
Little known fact: Colin Powell spoke Yiddish.

Evidently, in high school, he worked in a hardware store owned by Yiddish-speakers. The owner became a great friend of Powell’s as he recognized Colin’s strengths at an early age. They remained friends right up to the owner’s death.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Speaking about Powell without his part in an immoral war that left hundreds of thousands of innocents dead is kind of like talking about Jeffery Dahmer and not mentioning the cannibalism. It's what defines this man.
If you read a detailed account of what lead up to Powell’s speech at the UN, he painstakingly sifted through the information he was being fed through the office of the VP, rejecting much of it that he felt was not credible. Even with that, Powell’s speech at the UN was riddled with misinformation.

Eventually Powell became aware of his role in promoting that misinformation and it became his greatest regret for the rest of his life. He left his position as Secretary of State 3yrs before the end of the Bush administration and never served in public office again.

None of us is as bad as the worst thing we’ve ever done or as good as the best thing we’ve ever done. On balance Colin Powell was a good man who made a tragic mistake.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I know it's near impossible to discuss the man and not get into politics...but I feel we are hear right now on the tipping point, a grain of sand away from a lock. Just sayin'

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I know it's near impossible to discuss the man and not get into politics...but I feel we are hear right now on the tipping point, a grain of sand away from a lock. Just sayin'
Powell was a great man, a patriot, a leader, and man enough to admit his mistakes. Far better than most of us. Please do not let one voice quell the outpouring of respect for this extraordinary gentleman.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom