Retirement | The Boneyard

Retirement

Reaction Score
Scheduled to retire at end of April this year- in good health, finances generally okay but we can't go wild either. I'm curious, what have other people who have retired done with all that extra time on their hands? Did anyone pick up interesting new hobbies? How many went back to work, and if they did, was it due to boredom? My wife is younger and is still working but she works flexible hours part-time as a consultant.

I'm hoping to do some traveling, our house is getting remodeled and I'll work on landscaping for it, but I don't want to go back to work at all. I'll definitely be playing more golf!

Reaction Score
Scheduled to retire at end of April this year- in good health, finances generally okay but we can't go wild either. I'm curious, what have other people who have retired done with all that extra time on their hands? Did anyone pick up interesting new hobbies? How many went back to work, and if they did, was it due to boredom? My wife is younger and is still working but she works flexible hours part-time as a consultant.

I'm hoping to do some traveling, our house is getting remodeled and I'll work on landscaping for it, but I don't want to go back to work at all. I'll definitely be playing more golf!
Looks like someone is about to up that Boneyard post count. Congrats!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Congrats on upcoming retirement.
I picked up softball for first time and play more golf.
At 61, I joined an over-55 league. I used to be good, but quit at 45 when I moved to Boston. Could still hit well, but running.... let's see, strained quad, pulled hammy, strained calf, plantar fasciitis... all of which led to overcompensating and back issues, which once solved led to an ACL/torn meniscus/hairline fracture on one knee and an MCL on the other, so basically six years in pain. I'm hoping to get back to golf this year after basically a 4-year layoff, but my sports career is done, baby (but I did bat over .700!)

I do have a handful of dog walking clients and I love doing that (pretty much all short walks or just letting outside). I also work one or two 4-hour shifts/week as a shopper at WF. That pays the taxes on the dog walking, gets me a 20% discount on groceries, and gets me out of the house and socializing. Wife is still working and will probably go another 2 years, so I do all the cooking, cleaning, shopping, maintenance, etc. That last part alone eats up a ton of time when you've got a big yard. Once wife does retire, hoping to spend at least half of each year overseas. We'll see.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m not quite there yet. But maybe in the next 3-4 years. I’d like to play more golf, join a pickleball league, and generally walk outside more during the day. That will mean not being in New England in the winter. I’m very interested in taking up kayaking, whether on a pond or salt water bay. That would involve some nature watching as well. Certainly looking forward to traveling for more than a week at a time. Biggest limitation now is I really can’t be off for more than about 10 days. I think longer trips will provide a different perspective.

Reaction Score
I’ve fallen in love with Pickleball. Don’t hate on me :cool:
Seeing and hearing more about pickleball up here in NE.
Was down in FL few months back.
Whole different level down there which was cool to see.
Center had converted tennis courts into 12 pickleball courts. Everyone was full and everyone had people waiting to play next.
Every age group from teens to 70 years old. And then, down the street another facility just as packed.

Reaction Score
Find the things you've always wanted to do but couldn't find enough time to do while working. For me it will be volunteering with groups I'm passionate about, fishing and getting season tickets to UConn Men's Basketball. Probably traveling to thr 8 or 10 countries left on my bucket list.

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score

I moved to a golf community in North Carolina near the beach away from snow and CT taxes. Play golf 3 to 4 times a week, go to the gym 3-4 times a week. Area is very active and offers a wide range of clubs covering almost any interest. Also have participated in a number of volunteer organizations.
Pickleball and Tennis are also big. My knees wouldn’t survive in tennis so I seriously considered Pickleball. The fact is that more people down here have experienced serious injuries playing Pickleball than any of the other sports. I think it’s because even though the age is elevated the individuals still have a competitive streak and make physical efforts to win a point that might be beyond their abilities (probably how I would approach the game so I put my efforts elsewhere).

I have observed that there are people who can retire without any negative implications and truly enjoy themselves. Then there are individuals who were so wrapped up in their work that they couldn’t make the transition to an unstructured life style and are miserable. I haven’t worked in 25 years and have thoroughly enjoyed this stage of my life.

Key is to keep active and try different experiences.

I do miss not being able to attend UConn athletic events.

Reaction Score
I turn 65 this year and mid-last year left what is most likely my last job as an employee. I've spent a lot of time thinking and planning about retirement. It went well beyond just the financial stuff. I think being engaged is really important and for me I've fallen into a nice groove consulting. I take the work I want and avoid working on projects or with people I don't want. It offers flexibility to do the other things my wife and I want to do - some travel, working on our property, exercise, etc.

If I had one piece of advice to give to a pending retiree it would be to think and plan about retirement. Active and engaged in stuff you like is critically important.

Reaction Score
Best part of retirement is the freedom to not feel you need to get something done on a timetable

if I’m not skiing, I walk at least 3-5 miles a day plus reading at least 2 books/ month. Which still leaves enough time for boneyard snow. im a big skiier, so I have a season pass at Jay peak, Vt. Which is great. Hope to get 40+ days in boots per winter

STAY ACTIVE, you have no excuse anymore

Reaction Score
I don't understand old white people and pickleball at all, but I'm into it.
The country club I belonged to when I lived in CT had a couple courts but they called it "platform tennis". It was just the older members that played and they loved it. I had never seen it anywhere before. I wonder what made it finally take off on a broad basis.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The country club I belonged to when I lived in CT had a couple courts but they called it "platform tennis". It was just the older members that played and they loved it. I had never seen it anywhere before. I wonder what made it finally take off on a broad basis.
It's not quite the same thing as pickleball. Platform tennis has it's own special court. Were you at Wamp by any chance? They still have a couple of platform tennis courts.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I moved to a golf community in North Carolina near the beach away from snow and CT taxes. Play golf 3 to 4 times a week, go to the gym 3-4 times a week. Area is very active and offers a wide range of clubs covering almost any interest. Also have participated in a number of volunteer organizations.
Pickleball and Tennis are also big. My knees wouldn’t survive in tennis so I seriously considered Pickleball. The fact is that more people down here have experienced serious injuries playing Pickleball than any of the other sports. I think it’s because even though the age is elevated the individuals still have a competitive streak and make physical efforts to win a point that might be beyond their abilities (probably how I would approach the game so I put my efforts elsewhere).

I have observed that there are people who can retire without any negative implications and truly enjoy themselves. Then there are individuals who were so wrapped up in their work that they couldn’t make the transition to an unstructured life style and are miserable. I haven’t worked in 25 years and have thoroughly enjoyed this stage of my life.

Key is to keep active and try different experiences.

I do miss not being able to attend UConn athletic events.
I think the injuries are often shoe related. Back in the 80s when racquetball and tennis were huge, the standard “tennis shoe” was a tennis shoe. Now it’s a running shoe with a high stack height and a rocker sole. I’ve had two neighbors hurt themselves playing pickleball, you have to wear court shoes. I’ve played in Nike basketball shoes, not ideal but at least designed for those lateral forces.

As to your larger point, I’ve wanted to be retired since 7th grade. I was done doing things other people wanted me to do by then. 40 years later I’m confident I won’t miss work even a little bit.

Reaction Score
I turn 65 this year and mid-last year left what is most likely my last job as an employee. I've spent a lot of time thinking and planning about retirement. It went well beyond just the financial stuff. I think being engaged is really important and for me I've fallen into a nice groove consulting. I take the work I want and avoid working on projects or with people I don't want. It offers flexibility to do the other things my wife and I want to do - some travel, working on our property, exercise, etc.

If I had one piece of advice to give to a pending retiree it would be to think and plan about retirement. Active and engaged in stuff you like is critically important.
Good advice! One thing I want to do is make more connections with people in our town and community. I don't like reading about loneliness and the negative effect on one's health. That's a problem I have- not enough friends. It was so easy to make friends in college - now, it takes a dedicated effort. And some friends move away. So, I hope to join clubs or groups in different activities, maybe try a book group, or switch from playing golf mainly by myself to playing regularly with a couple of other guys. And regarding traveling- next stop Scotland!

Reaction Score
I’m 64 and retired 9 yrs and loving it. I could write a book for you but instead, here’s the summary version.
Most days are like adult day camp, you wake up and decide what fun thing you’re going to do that day. Of course, you have to have fun things to do.
We decided about 4 yrs ago that we no longer wanted to participate in winter in Maryland so we now snowbird near Tampa, FL from Nov through March.
There are endless activities in our area so it depends on what you like to do or wish to try.
Summers in MD are spent enjoying all of the things we’ve always done only now we are not restricted to weekends which is wonderful. Everything is less crowded and more fun during the week when most are working.
I can provide you with a lot of details about our experience in everything from snowbirding to why pickleball is ok but might not be for you depending on your level of athleticism and fitness.
If you‘d like to message me, I’ll be happy to discuss in more detail.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom